Paper Mario: The Origami King (Coming in July 17th)

This is the place for video games!
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Paper Mario: The Origami King (Coming in July 17th)

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:27 am

7 hours in so far. Very good game.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:40 pm

Battle system is really cool - however it's extremely rare for enemies to attack you unless you make a mistake with the ring puzzles or are fighting stronger enemies. Early game, I got to the area before the first boss before enemies started having opportunities to attack. Not gonna say which point that was to avoid spoilers

So far, really fun!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:52 am

After having beaten the game, still awesome. I don't know if I prefer it over color splash, will have to replay that, but I think that many who took issue with CS's battle system will easily prefer this over that. I think both of those are excellent games.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:49 pm

Was a bit skeptical with this game, but after playing it for a few hours straight... I like it! Battle system is pretty fun, and the aesthetics and atmosphere are very good as well.

Ginger_Gamer_64
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Ginger_Gamer_64 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 pm

Its now july, and the game is out, its not on our stores yet so yeah i have to buy it later

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:11 am

My review of the game (Spoiler free, but I used the spoiler option to condense the post):
Spoiler: show
I finished the game, and I liked it quite a bit! The story was LOADS better than Sticker Star and Color Splash. The music is easily the best of the franchise, and that's really saying something considering the first 3 games had phenomenal soundtracks. The battles were still more or less pointless, but I kept returning to them because they added a few twists here and there, (especially towards the end) and the battle themes (yes, there's more than one, and they correspond to their surrounding environment which is amazing) were addicting to listen to. Despite the fact that the whole paper trope is still a thing, and it's still pretty stale, the game still handled it a lot better where the whole situation has a lot at stake from the character's perspective, and it isn't just Bowser messing around and either accidentally doing something, or just him wanting to get stronger. Olivia felt more like a genuine and likeable character than Kersti and Huey. Kersti was just annoying to be around, and Huey was just a funny character, but that was basically it. Olivia actually had a genuine purpose and the supporting characters were actually really nice. I love how Professor Toad could interact with the environment as well. I really missed the partners and I'm glad that we kind of-sort of got them back, though I'm hoping they have more to them in future games. I think the bosses were done a whole lot better, even if most of them were pretty easy. There wasn't the dumb "HeY! DoN't FoRgEt ThAt ThInG oR eLsE yOu CaN't BeAt ThE BoSs!" garbage from the 2 most recent games (though sticker star was more lenient on that, but it was essentially the same thing). The bosses made me think, and I had to plan my way around it during the fight. I also love how they manipulate the board so they all have their own unique feel. I didn't quite like the villain's motivation for what he was doing, and I won't get into that because spoilers, but I can kind of see what they were doing with it. Idk, it just felt incredibly petty and somewhat disappointing, but the resolution was pretty nice. The end fight was also pretty nice, but kind of easy as well. Overall, a great game! I actually recommend playing it. It's not the return to form we've been hoping for, and it still has some of the same issues that SS and CS had, but it greatly surpasses them both!

PdizzleParker
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: doin your mom
Pronouns: they/them

Postby PdizzleParker » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 am

Personally, I really like the paper trope. In the first 3 games, the decorations were definitely more flat, the environments more blocky, and houses folded open when you entered them. There were also a bunch of paper themed mechanics, especially in TTYD. To me, the paper environments in the new games are only an evolution of that idea.

The Great Yoshi
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby The Great Yoshi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm

A question for all the SMBX users who own this game: Does it feature any cameos from the original partners from Paper Mario 64 or TTYD?

I had read something about partners from earlier games returning, but it looks like I just misunderstood. I was hoping there might be some new sprites of the old partners like they had in SPM.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:30 pm

The Great Yoshi wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm
A question for all the SMBX users who own this game: Does it feature any cameos from the original partners from Paper Mario 64 or TTYD?
Afaik, no. I think (Nintendo) and Intelligence Systems decided to give us a new set of partners of just generic Mario enemy characters.

The Great Yoshi
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby The Great Yoshi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:15 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:30 pm
Afaik, no. I think (Nintendo) and Intelligence Systems decided to give us a new set of partners of just generic Mario enemy characters.
Makes sense. You want to give your players something new every time so it doesn't get repetitive.

Still, I'd like to see some of the old partners make a comeback one day. Maybe mix it up with some from PM64, some from TTYD, stuff like that. Probably just my nostalgia talking.

Return to “Video Games”