Optimize for mobile devices.

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Re: Optimize for mobile devices.

Postby Bryan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Chrome on Android automatically resizes the forums to fit your screen. Note, you still might have to zoom in to see certain content.

If your display doesn't look similar to mine then your device and/or software is at fault (outdated).
Spoiler: show
ImageImageFrom my HTC, LTE
Also, here is a good IRC client to use.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Bryan wrote:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageFrom my HTC, LTE
Why do mobile users insist on not charging their phones?

Joey wrote:If a mobile version of this site is truly a necessity for anyone, you can go the UCP and change your board style to "prosilver". There is a full mobile theme there but note that it will not look like this site and there will be no navigation links to other parts of SuperMarioBrosX.org.
Seems like a bit of a work around than a solution. Why not commission some people to make a mobile version of the "smbx" style?

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 pm

AeroMatter wrote: Why do mobile users insist on not charging their phones?
That wasn't necessary.
AeroMatter wrote:
Joey wrote:If a mobile version of this site is truly a necessity for anyone, you can go the UCP and change your board style to "prosilver". There is a full mobile theme there but note that it will not look like this site and there will be no navigation links to other parts of SuperMarioBrosX.org.
Seems like a bit of a work around than a solution. Why not commission some people to make a mobile version of the "smbx" style?
I understand someone could create a mobile version of the site but why? The site looks fine the way it is on mobile now. Plus, a lot of people visit the site via their PC, not their phone. It's not like the entire userbase uses phones to go on SMBX.org.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:07 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Why not commission some people to make a mobile version of the "smbx" style?
It looks fine on mobile devices. Also, commissioning some people to make a mobile version of the site is not something I would do regardless for multiple reasons.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:22 pm

In the development of this site as a whole (structure/code-wise, so not including the Mario graphics, contributions to the forum/wiki, etc.), I outsource pretty much nothing. If we really needed a super-optimized mobile theme for this site, I'd make one. But we don't, so I'm not going to waste my time when there's other things I need to be doing.

So, SnifitGuy, to answer your question: if somebody asked me "hey can you give me the smbx style so I can make a mobile style for you", I'd probably say no. I don't ever give out the style to begin with ("hey can I have the smbx style so I can use it on my own forum" would be a definite no), and that would also mean they'd need a space to test what they're working on. I can't have them test it here because that would result in me giving them access to part of my filesystem, which definitely will not happen unless it's someone I really trust.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:08 am

Forest of Illusion was able to just rip the style in the same or a similar way as you did to get it from the original forums. I don't understand your reasoning either, because site testing can be done locally rather than on your server specifically too. If people were commissioned you wouldn't waste your time, an inconvenience is removed for mobile users, and it gives the community members to contribute to improving the site.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:52 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Forest of Illusion was able to just rip the style in the same or a similar way as you did to get it from the original forums.
As far as I could tell, they stole my table design (names and everything) and used it to build the blocks for their site and made a few changes to the default prosilver CSS. This was not the approach I took when building this site.

I didn't say testing had to be done on my server. I said it wouldn't be, even though they would need a place to test.

There is no inconvenience for any mobile users besides Neoflash, who is using a Kyocera Hydro Vibe which would likely not be easy or worthwhile to optimize in the first place.

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby lighthouse64 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Neoflash wrote:YouTube vids take a century to load, the list just goes on and on.
That's kinda strange... I mean even for my dsi it loaded pages with youtube vids under a minute.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:19 pm

I'm talking about the style of the forums (phpBB calls them "styles" and it's just how the forum looks and is structured, not the actual content of it). Styles are made of HTML and CSS, as well as some JavaScript/AJAX.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:04 pm

I forgot to mention that styles also contain images, yes. What exactly are you asking?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:45 pm

They took the HTML data that represents the SMB3 blocks. That was what I was talking about.

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:48 pm

Forest of Illusion never stole anything from this site. You don't own any Mario content nor code. In that case, everyone would patent their HTML code. FOI was going to be a direct remake of SMB.org with a whole new look. To prevent problems and because of a lack of popularity, it was shut down after we determined this was the rightful home for SMBX.

To the topic currently in discussion,

Every style has a set of images kept within a directory within the phpBB directory in the filesystem or you can be store in a different directory. The style is put together using all the elements Joey mentioned above. For example, this theme is a modified version of the 'prosilver' default theme. Joey used a combination of graphics, HTML & CSS to put it together.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:53 pm

Bryan wrote:You don't own any Mario content
True.
Bryan wrote:nor code.
False. Despite the fact that I have no way of preventing people from doing what you did, you still pulled my code directly from this site.

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Joey wrote:
Bryan wrote:You don't own any Mario content
True.
Bryan wrote:nor code.
False. Despite the fact that I have no way of preventing people from doing what you did, you still pulled my code directly from this site.
Your style isn't original either. Otherwise, your graphics & code would be totally custom.

No code was directly pulled from your site. And if it was, you can be assured I took no participation in that since I never designed the style on FOI forums. I only worked on other parts of the site. Stop blaming me for something I have no responsibility over. If you are so worried about people stealing 'your' code, then maybe you should apply for a patent for the code. Be sure to let them know you are using content created by a third-party (Nintendo) too!

Do we really need to shift the topic in this direction?

lighthouse64
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby lighthouse64 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:31 am

I don't really think this is about optimization for mobile devices anymore... :/

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:08 am

Bryan wrote:And if it was, you can be assured I took no participation in that since I never designed the style on FOI forums.
That's fine! But the class/ID names were exactly the same as the ones I use, if I remember correctly. This means that they were taken from here, because my table structure is different from Redigit's original table structure. Unless, of course, whoever was designing your site came up with exactly the same names and structure (which isn't terribly unlikely, but still probably not the case given the circumstances).

I'm not saying that you (or anyone) is a criminal for taking some HTML, but there's sufficient evidence to suggest that it did happen.
Bryan wrote:Be sure to let them know you are using content created by a third-party (Nintendo) too!
There is nothing about the table structure on this site that has anything to do with Nintendo.

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Joey wrote: That's fine! But the class/ID names were exactly the same as the ones I use, if I remember correctly. This means that they were taken from here, because my table structure is different from Redigit's original table structure. Unless, of course, whoever was designing your site came up with exactly the same names and structure (which isn't terribly unlikely, but still probably not the case given the circumstances).

I'm not saying that you (or anyone) is a criminal for taking some HTML, but there's sufficient evidence to suggest that it did happen.
Bryan wrote:Be sure to let them know you are using content created by a third-party (Nintendo) too!
There is nothing about the table structure on this site that has anything to do with Nintendo.
Like I said, I only wrote up the rest of the site. I was not involved with creating the forum style.

Second, I wasn't referring to the structure, I'm referring to the actual graphics you used. Which in fact, don't belong to you. Nonetheless, let's return to the subject at hand.

Greater Dog
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Greater Dog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Joey wrote:There is no mobile mode for this site. The only thing that happens is that there are a few things that get resized/reorganized when the screen size gets reduced to a certain point. I think your phone is the problem.
i've made an aff for android users :D https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7uITx ... cslist_api (virus/trojan free)

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm

cSteve wrote:
Joey wrote:There is no mobile mode for this site. The only thing that happens is that there are a few things that get resized/reorganized when the screen size gets reduced to a certain point. I think your phone is the problem.
i've made an aff for android users :D https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7uITx ... cslist_api (virus/trojan free)
Sounds great, but could you provide screenshots of your app?

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm posting this from my mobile Phone (an actual Phone no tablet) and the site works flawlessly IMO.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”