Super Mario 16 X (Full Game)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster
Pronouns: he/him

Super Mario 16 X (Full Game)

Postby Chipss » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 pm

This is an episode that I have just finished.

Super Mario 16 X!

It's an episode I made in about a week but it is really fun and gets challenging towards the end!

Here is the download~ https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg3d195zpimyw ... an1118.rar

This episode consists of 13 levels (Including Bowser's Castle and a Fortress), 2 item houses, and a town.

Hope you like it! :D

Please leave feedback on how to improve! I am working on the sequel already! (it will be way better)

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler: show

Last edited by Chipss on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Re: Super Mario 16 X (Full Game)

Postby Murphmario » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Er, there is loads of clash. And why is a stone in water that shows it in lava.

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:46 am

Murphmario wrote:Er, there is loads of clash. And why is a stone in water that shows it in lava.
I just thought that all the clash looked good together... I guess other people might think otherwise. I've been trying to improve on that in the sequel.

Also i just thought the stone in water that has lava looked good.. Kind of like blood

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:52 am

Wow, you put a lot of Elements into this Game. You not only use like SMB3 or so, you even got the use of different Themes combined into one. I know that it can look kinda weird sometimes but to me, it looks very decent enough. Since it is only 13 Levels long, I am gonna play and even record this SMBX Episode. Sooner or later (can take a while) I am making my Video playthrough of this Game. Prepare...

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 am

bossedit8 wrote:Wow, you put a lot of Elements into this Game. You not only use like SMB3 or so, you even got the use of different Themes combined into one. I know that it can look kinda weird sometimes but to me, it looks very decent enough. Since it is only 13 Levels long, I am gonna play and even record this SMBX Episode. Sooner or later (can take a while) I am making my Video playthrough of this Game. Prepare...
Woah. That's big. Never thought anyone would like it that much.

Thanks man!

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Playthrough Made:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfZ86EnSrg

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

bossedit8 wrote:Playthrough Made:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfZ86EnSrg
Yeah I saw that.. Ive fixed the problem with the pipe being there at the start of the final battle though

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:41 pm

masonman1118 wrote:Ive fixed the problem with the pipe being there at the start of the final battle though
If you fixed it, is your download link updated as well? So I can add that to my Video Description.

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:08 pm

bossedit8 wrote:
masonman1118 wrote:Ive fixed the problem with the pipe being there at the start of the final battle though
If you fixed it, is your download link updated as well? So I can add that to my Video Description.
Yes it is updated

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm

masonman1118 wrote:Yes it is updated
Thank you. The Video is updated as well. I wish you good luck on your future SMBX work.

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks! Also another big thanks for playing my episode!

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Before I begin my review, I have to ask: what does the episode's title have to do with the episode itself? It's not even a very eye-catching or interesting title, either (neither is your banner).

AND NOW, MY REVIEW OF SUPER MARIO 16 X
Before the episode is even started, there are a couple of prevalent errors: 1)The title is misspelled on the episode select list (it says "Mariio" instead of "Mario") and 2) you left not one, but two save files in the upload. Why is it so common for people to leave save files in the episode when uploading? It just puts more work on the player because the save files need to be deleted to start a new game.

When starting the episode, the player is greeted with a text dump with the same "go fight Bowser" story that comprises most Mario games, only there are a few typos here as well. 1) There should be a "the" in between "to" and "World," 2) the "b" in "bowser" should be capitalized, and 3) there should be a comma before "Too." Also, the "T" in "Too" should be lowercase.

Before I move on to talking about the levels, I'd like to show each instance of what I call a warp-chain.
There's no challenge to this, so why do it? They were pointless in New Super Mario Galaxy X as well.
And now, I will show each instance (that I found) where the player can jump over the ceiling:
Each of these instances can be fixed by putting one block just above the ones on-screen.
While this is not exactly the same issue as the previous screenshots, I was hoping for some sort of Easter Egg to be up here, like one of the Iggys saying "Hey, you're not supposed to be up here! Get back down!" or something.
One final list; this time, it's almost each instance of cut-off (I say "almost" because some deserve their own spoiler):
To fix most of these, sprite swap a background image to look like the cut-off tile and put it behind the tile cutting it off.
In this case, you could just reverse the direction of the SMB1 split-pipe block (block-378), have that sprite swap the original block, and use that here instead:
Some instances of cut-off consist of what are already background images, so it wouldn't take much effort to put them behind the blocks that are cutting them off.
Um...you used the wrong Super Metroid door block here:
However, that's not the only instance of using the wrong tile. For instance, here, you used the 32x32 slope-curve block instead of the 32x64 slope-curve block.
Here, you didn't use any slope-curve blocks. I know they exist, so why didn't you use them?
Anyway, the first level is unremarkable, except for the warp-chain and the pointless sign (it doesn't have a message), so on to the second level: it's also pretty unremarkable, except for this:
I thought the water indicated some sort of secret, so I jumped down there and died. I suggest removing the water entirely.
Next level: there are quite a few warps that do this:
Like this, it looks like Toad is getting his head sliced in two by the pipe. Just move the warp half a unit down to fix it.
But...but I just passed up a star on my way here! What's the point of this?
World map tip #1: don't put paths right by each other if they shouldn't connect. Otherwise, this happens:
Moving on:
What are you talking about? It's night, not evening!
This is my favorite part of the episode. It's random, but still relevant (unlike some other stuff in the episode, which I'll get to later).
On the contrary, this is my least favorite part of the episode. After exiting the pipe, that green fish at the top left is literally right on top of the player, and an unfair and unnecessary hit has to be taken. The player-character is invisible because I took the screenshot when he was flashing. Remove that fish entirely.
Speaking of fish at the top left, the one here is stuck in that corner of the blocks and can't move (during game-play, it was constantly switching between its left-facing frame and its right-facing frame).
Something else I don't like are your vanilla block-houses. There are perfectly good sprite-swaps for mushroom houses in the GFX pack; use those instead.
All right, on to the desert level:
As you can see, that tiny pipe is too small for those large Piranha Plants. You should give them a bigger pipe.
Also, you should probably put a secret here or something because it's entirely possible to make it down here without getting hurt.
On to the first castle level:
What is the purpose of this single dark tile in the middle of all of the light tiles? It doesn't look good.
Well, an Iggy Koopa fight was foreshadowed twice before in the level, so yes, I did think that it would be easy.
This is nonsense:
Even ignoring the bullet bill cannon wall at the beginning, there should be some way for the player to obtain a shell in case the others are killed or off-screened, like a paratroopa generator.
Also, I thought this was a warp pipe (because otherwise, it would be a poor design choice), and I ended up getting stuck and was forced to die.
This is also nonsense, and what I was referring to earlier in my review. You're trying to be funny, but you went completely overboard with the randomness and it just ends up being confusing. Plus, the "d" in "dis" should be capitalized; it's common grammar.
NO! It doesn't matter how many times you repeat it or what dumb custom "song" you have playing; IT'S NOT FUNNY!
...I'm not completely sure you know what these background images are for...
They're meant to go on top of the SMW log platforms (block-446). I'm not too sure what they're supposed to represent, here.
World map suggestion #1: name everything. If something doesn't have a name, it looks weird:
There may be an instance where it would be preferable to keep a world map icon nameless, but this isn't one of those instances.
For this level, you should add a bomb generator here:
If the player accidentally kills the bombs without blowing up the wall, then he/she is stuck here and has to exit from the episode.
That's not that good of a reward, especially considering there's only about three levels in between here and where the warp is leading. Instead, I suggest having the warp it leads to lead to a bonus level that can only be accessed by collecting all of the episode's stars. It would help to provide a use for the ones not needed to get to the final level.
Moving on:
You put a pipe up here, but it doesn't lead anywhere. I say replace it with a ? block or something.
I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ENOUGH PARATROOPAS HERE FOR THE PLAYER TO AVOID. YOU SHOULD ADD, LIKE, TEN BILLION MORE TO MAKE THIS ANY SORT OF A CHALLENGE. Okay, seriously, you should remove some of those paratroopas and maybe use a variety of hazards, like the fire-plants or munchers or anything besides this many paratroopas!
WHY IS TOAD PLAYABLE IF NOT ALL LEVELS CAN BE BEATEN AS HIM??
While I'm at it, WHY ARE THESE BLOCKS SLIPPERY??
World map suggestion #2: make sure that map icons actually lead to levels:
There may be an instance where it would be preferable to keep a world map icon levelless, but this isn't one of those instances.
I noticed something weird about this level:
The height of SMBX is 600 pixels, but the top of this section has been extended so that it is slightly higher (divisible by the standard block height of 32 pixels). Why?
World map tip #2:
If you have an icon warp to another place on the world map...
Make sure it actually warps on top of the corresponding icon rather than one unit beside it:
World map criticism #1:
These warps are completely pointless because it is simple enough to reach the "small island" by going through the levels normally.
All right, on to the final level:
You shouldn't use these airship NPCs here because they act like conveyor belts when bumping against blocks and, if I'm not mistaken, also consistently make an annoying sound effect while doing so(I'm not sure because my SMBX sometimes stops loading infrequently-played sound effects).
Some may call this mini-boss spam; I call it "easy."
Oh man; I didn't even have to fight the Boom-Booms! This was easier than I thought.
Hmmm...nope, still easy.
The text goes outside the boundary of the text box. This is rarely useful.
What? Could it be...? It is! It's funny! Only three problems: 1) I'm not Mario, 2) "Thanks" should be "Thank," and 3) The tree has some cut-off with the tree-boundaries inside the tree (I hope that made sense). Also, I'm not too fond of the use of "ermagerd," and I suggest it be removed entirely.
Wait a minute, that didn't do anything! What the heck?
I guess I should explain: when making an SMBX episode, it is customary to end the episode with an event that triggers the End Game drop-down "Bowser Defeat." This will play the SMB3 "Bowser Defeat" fanfare, and roll the pre-programmed SMBX credits. Some episodes, like The Apocalypse of Foroze and another one that I can't remember the name of, have the decency to build a custom credits-like level using sprite-swaps, layers, and events, but it is widely accepted for episodes to use the pre-programmed ending instead. Make a "Bowser Defeat" event (it only needs that End Game drop-down selected, it can otherwise be a blank event) and have it triggered by the star's death.
IN CONCLUSION:

Welcome to the SMBX forums, new member!

We hope you enjoy your stay! Be sure to check out our many amenities, such as:

--The Tower of Bias
This is the forum's long running comedy series where people submit levels to a contest and complain about their placement when the scores are revealed.
"It's a riot!"
-Blueoak

--SMBX Worlds
This is a collection of the absolute best episodes that have ever graced our community. You can tell that competition is tough because one of the featured episodes is just a cheap port of SMB3.
"I'm downloading it now."
-everyone

Oh, you wanted to know about your episode? Yeah, it's forgettable. I suggest experimenting with moving layers and sprite swaps so you can make your own boss instead of just using the ones pre-programmed in SMBX. Some good examples of custom bosses are the ones in Mario Classic and the final boss in Super Mario Quest Infinity. I also heard that there was a "custom boss competition" at some point; I can't seem to find it, though.

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:01 am

AND NOW, MY REVIEW OFSUPER MARIO 16 X
Thanks for the review.

I have fixed everything you mentioned and the download link is updated too.

antoinefunbros

Postby antoinefunbros » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:12 am

Good episode ! I loved the level "Evolution".

Mista Epic

Postby Mista Epic » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Oof. It just doesn't look to good to me.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Mista Epic wrote:Oof. It just doesn't look to good to me.
You should of be a bit more specific as of why it doesn't look good for you so you can give the Author explanations and maybe get an approval of a better Level Design.

Mista Epic

Postby Mista Epic » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:28 pm

bossedit8 wrote:
Mista Epic wrote:Oof. It just doesn't look to good to me.
You should of be a bit more specific as of why it doesn't look good for you so you can give the Author explanations and maybe get an approval of a better Level Design.
I think the mushroom blocks ontop of the steel blocks look gross and the last world area is just... Bleh.

Return to “Episodes”