Ashen Acropolis (CC8 5th Place)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Ashen Acropolis (CC8 5th Place)

Postby sezixor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 pm

Everybody's doing it, so I will as well. As the title says, this is my contest level from CC8. It got 5th place with a score of 8.84. Needless to say, it took a lot of effort to make this. I spent three straight days doing almost nothing but working on this level (I was gone on vacation for most of the level designing period), so the design is a bit different from my normal style. It’s extremely straight forward for my taste, and a bit on the difficult side due to it being a lava level, but besides that I think it turned out good.

Flaws mentioned by the judges that have been corrected:
-The speed of the lava in the second section has been slightly decreased to make it less unfair.
-Fixed the death effect and NPC animation of the spiny, and corrected the missing mirror edge of the 32x32 slopes.
-Decreased the delay of the vertical-upward moving lava in section three so it doesn’t stop so close to the above lava.
-Fixed a cutoff that I didn't notice in the first section.

Screen:
Spoiler: show
https://www.mediafire.com/?jfi166b171dmnz8

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Ashen Acropolis (CC8 5th Place)

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 pm

Wow, this is a incredible level of lava, the details is awesome, i love this level design, and the gimmicks is unique! The mix of tilesets is very nice, were well together. All in this level is very done, principalmente the gimmicks. I saw some erros: In te second section has parts tight, and have parts where this jump is long and complicated. But this is one of my favorite levels in the contest 8. I love the music! Good job! :)

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:38 pm

Thank you for playing my level and giving feedback! I guess I see what you mean about the second section even though I'm not quite sure how I can improve it without making it too easy.

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm

I played through this level and it was definitely fantastic. I really liked it's difficult, but mostly fair, gameplay with all of the gimmicks used. And the level looked nice as well. Great job with this level!

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Moved to bests, since it got a 9 from me at least.

ssumday
Bit
Bit
Flair: Nope

Postby ssumday » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 pm

WOW, what a amazing level. This is definitely one of the best levels I've ever played, because he has an awesome design, good music, and even being a long level was very fun to play, once you put various gimmicks that left the level a lot of fun. In my opinion, deserves a big 10/10.

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks so much for your complements, guys! They really mean a lot to me.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:42 am

Holy crap this level is so amazing! The events and gimmicks you used was great! This is probably one of my favorite contest levels!

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:53 am

My review from CC8:
bossedit8 wrote:That was a very nice constructive Level. It takes place inside a Cave filled with Magma. How it is decorated is very nice and even the details on the Tileset. One scenery isn't all that necessary to use in this place and that is the SMB3 Lamp that hangs on the sealing. They are normally used at the castle/fortress levels, not in a cave. The Level is very good when it comes to the difficulty and the whole Power Up placements but these Dragon Coins are kind of unnecessary to put them only for spinjumpable players. 2 Characters can't collect them all (you know, Peach and Link). These wooden Blocks how one hurts you because it is darker is also a nice touch to this Level. It is easy to identify if the one hurts or others don't. The whole Layers and Events are very nice but you should not use Slopes while moving horizontally (left and/or right) as it tends to become Glitchy if you stand at the top of them. Every Sections plays differently of where you go which makes the player a fun time running around. The second Section is vertically where you have to keep the Lava away while rising down which is clever. All other Events where clever too.

Point Rating: 9

Return to “The Best”