betterbomber.lua (v1) - Ninja Bomberman if he was awesome

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
bubbyboytoo
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: it do be like that sometimes

betterbomber.lua (v1) - Ninja Bomberman if he was awesome

Postby bubbyboytoo » Thu May 23, 2024 3:08 pm

You know it, I know it, everyone knows it: Ninja Bomberman is not exactly the highest-quality X2 character there ever was. But, with that one costume, he's the closest thing we have to a unique playable Waluigi in SMBX. So, I've taken it upon myself to hack away at his script and try and turn it into something marginally better.
Conspicuously Low-Quality Demo Gif: show
Featuring:
- No more custom pause or insta-restart! He's still a challenge character that gets one-shot by any damage, but he dies like a normal person instead of that janky savestate nonsense. Pair with others' quick-restart libraries at your leisure.
- Also you can see the HUD now! The hearts are still gone and I don't know how to bring them back but let's pretend it's a feature! TBoI Lost vibes!
- Max walk and run speeds increased by 1.5x compared to Mario's default values. Waluigi seems like a pretty fast guy with those long legs, and it gives him some fun speedrun applications in normal levels.
- Alt Jump button doesn't trigger bomb jumps! Slowfall with ease and save it for when you need it.
- Also, being in Raccoon or Tanooki form gives you an extra bomb jump!! The normal tail glide becomes useless when his slowfall is in play, and the tail swipe isn't super useful compared to fire and iceballs when you can drop a Hammer Suit bomb literally any time you want. So, I figured this would be a fun counter-balance to all that, and it goes well with his Peach-base running highjump for some serious aerial maneuverability.

Of course, this was made by hacking out the bits I didn't like from the base script, and I have extremely little actual coding knowledge so there's bound to be some things that ended up strange but I don't know how to fix. For instance, one bug I'm aware of right now is that upon entering a level from the world map he'll immediately do a little bomb jump regardless of what you're actually inputting. It's probably because of the Jump press to enter the level, and basegame NB doesn't do it, but I sure don't know where I went wrong! Not a big deal outside of, like, the kaizo-est spikes-right-over-your-head kind of levels anyway. Also I'd like him to use his run animation while slowfalling for a Luigi-esque scuttle jump, but no clue how to do that either.

Anyway, I hope if nothing else this lets Waluigi show up in a few episodes in the future. Feel free to use this script however you want, and edit it to adjust his properties, but drop some credit my way if you do or at least let me know if you release anything using it!

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11612TO ... sp=sharing

To install, copy betterbomber.lua to your episode's folder and add the following to your luna.lua file:

Code: Select all

local playerManager = require("playermanager")
playerManager.overrideCharacterLib(CHARACTER_NINJABOMBERMAN,require("betterbomber"))

Return to “LunaLua”