SMBX2 (Beta 5 supported) Modern Battle Mode system

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
kimoxq
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

SMBX2 (Beta 5 supported) Modern Battle Mode system

Postby kimoxq » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:34 am

hi all, long time smbx user, first time registered-website user here (since 2014). this is my first ever post on the smbx website featuring Battle Mode in smbx2 beta 4, where originally it was blocked for some reason.

i decided to make this underrated mode even greater, tho with some mini consequences (explanation: last sentence in this paragraph). inside this pack, there is a .txt file that guides you how to properly install Battle Mode, since smbx2 beta 4 completely removed it. since i dont know any .lua coding, this new battle system is made with only layers and events. as you can tell, i was very and i mean very limited to create anything new. it wasn't that hard to make but it was really time consuming. overall it was enjoyable to make. this battle pack contains some new default maps that i made, along with maps that my cousin made (credits to her) for fun to help me increase the default map amount. there is also a .txt file of unfixable bugs and all the reasons why they cant be fixed sadly.

i hope you enjoy playing this with your friends at some point, as the bugs are not too bad honestly.

credits:

-battle system graphics - all by me
-animation background main menu - sources: pinterest and google (not by me)
-battle levels graphics - witchking666, h2643, Valtteri and other (small amount of graphics are by me)
-music - nothing is by me; sources: mostly .spc ports from smw central website and .mp3 downloaded files

more music credits:

-artist: Yousuke Yasui - contains music from levels: candyshrooms, chocolate land and springboard madness
-airshow maps series - copied .mp3 files from an smbx episode "smb0"
-smw central .spc files: this includes maps such as carrot hills, crystal mine, space battle planet, spooky central and smw arena
-candyflip map song: artist is molife
-frostway map song: an smw .spc file but converted to an .mp3 file

[PRE-RELEASE-v1.0] download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KbN4U7 ... drive_link

a little preview (screenshots):
Spoiler: show

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX2 (Beta 5 supported) Modern Battle Mode system

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon May 06, 2024 6:32 am

I have to be honest, I find it sad that hardly anyone can comment on this. I can't test it on my own and I don't have anyone here to do it with locally/offline.

Your project is certainly a cool thing and most of the maps look pretty good, but it's just really difficult to say much about it these days in times of the internet and “living physically apart”.

How do you normally start the levels ingame? I dumped the files in a “Worlds” subdirectory and somehow couldn't find them ingame [ever since beta 5`s changes I can only start an episode from a launcher and not even switching ingame], so I had to do it via the editor.

By the way, why do you have to select a menu entry with “DOWN” and go one menu entry down with “JUMP”? Why was this switched on purpose? This is .. confusing.

kimoxq
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby kimoxq » Tue May 07, 2024 2:24 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:32 am
I have to be honest, I find it sad that hardly anyone can comment on this. I can't test it on my own and I don't have anyone here to do it with locally/offline.

Your project is certainly a cool thing and most of the maps look pretty good, but it's just really difficult to say much about it these days in times of the internet and “living physically apart”.

How do you normally start the levels ingame? I dumped the files in a “Worlds” subdirectory and somehow couldn't find them ingame [ever since beta 5`s changes I can only start an episode from a launcher and not even switching ingame], so I had to do it via the editor.

By the way, why do you have to select a menu entry with “DOWN” and go one menu entry down with “JUMP”? Why was this switched on purpose? This is .. confusing.
the way you properly install this is to drop "battle" and "music" folders to your "data" folder (the folder where worlds, graphics and sound is located). "battle" does not belong in the "worlds" folder. the .oca and .ocx files belong in the folder your smbx launcher is located in. i assume you didnt really understand the read-me.txt document so i thought clarifying it better for you here, i may update it in the future so its easier to understand.

for the "flipped on purpose controls", theres a good reason behind it. since this is made entirely without lua, the way a player selects a topic is by jumping and hitting a note block thats connected to an event that registers what you selected. clicking on what you selected (by pressing "down") works by a player entering a clear pipe and triggering an event that executes what you clicked. i tried implementing something better, but with this being completely scriptless, this is the only way. im slowly learning lua coding and its not going bad at all, plus i may recreate the system for better experience for everyone in the future.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Just_Thomas » Tue May 07, 2024 3:16 pm

kimoxq wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:24 pm
Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:32 am

the way you properly install this is to drop "battle" and "music" folders to your "data" folder (the folder where worlds, graphics and sound is located). "battle" does not belong in the "worlds" folder. the .oca and .ocx files belong in the folder your smbx launcher is located in. i assume you didnt really understand the read-me.txt document so i thought clarifying it better for you here, i may update it in the future so its easier to understand.

for the "flipped on purpose controls", theres a good reason behind it. since this is made entirely without lua, the way a player selects a topic is by jumping and hitting a note block thats connected to an event that registers what you selected. clicking on what you selected (by pressing "down") works by a player entering a clear pipe and triggering an event that executes what you clicked. i tried implementing something better, but with this being completely scriptless, this is the only way. im slowly learning lua coding and its not going bad at all, plus i may recreate the system for better experience for everyone in the future.
Dang, I did not know that. About the readme ... uhm I simply did not catch that. I hadn't even considered that this would have to be installed ANOTHER way, because force of habit (actually I didn't do much research to find a solution either). So no, you don't actually have to change anything in this regard. I just missed it.

As far as I know, it has never been necessary to change anything outside the “Worlds” folder. All other folders should normally be left intact to ensure compatibility. If you - however - find a way - to change it and make it work like normal episodes within the world directory it would be better through.

Also pretty cool, it has been realized WITHOUT luna. Impressive (ok, but you have a luna with a little bit of code, but I get the message here).
The amount of layers is bonkers, I tried to count them. Interesting to know, how many of these SMBX can handle (somehow a high-pressure test ).
Same for the amount of events, that must have been downright torture.

Return to “Levels”