SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SMBX2 Beta 5 RELEASE! ➡️ Discussion & bugs here!

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:25 pm

More of a question actually:
Why does the "Power" of the "Launch Barrel Settings" only really work 100% with "Start Angle" 0?
If I set "Power" to 99, I can fling myself in the sky effortlessly, but in all other directions it only works rather powerlessly.
So if I would want to mimic a barrel blast level from DKC, I still would have to put these barrels very close to each other (unless it is upwards, this - like I said - works like a charm). Does somebody know? I don`t think it is a bug, but I still don`t quite get it, why it is not working that well.

Actually I would even say, a change in "Power" only works vertically, otherwise I feel like it just stays on the default value: 15.0

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:32 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:25 pm
Why does the "Power" of the "Launch Barrel Settings" only really work 100% with "Start Angle" 0?
If I set "Power" to 99, I can fling myself in the sky effortlessly, but in all other directions it only works rather powerlessly.
So if I would want to mimic a barrel blast level from DKC, I still would have to put these barrels very close to each other (unless it is upwards, this - like I said - works like a charm). Does somebody know? I don`t think it is a bug, but I still don`t quite get it, why it is not working that well.

Actually I would even say, a change in "Power" only works vertically, otherwise I feel like it just stays on the default value: 15.0
are you holding run while being shot out? smbx caps the player's horizontal speed while run is being held even if the player isn't actually running on the ground, so you might not get the distance you want unless you let go of run first.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike

Postby Just_Thomas » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 am

deice wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:32 am
Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:25 pm

are you holding run while being shot out? smbx caps the player's horizontal speed while run is being held even if the player isn't actually running on the ground, so you might not get the distance you want unless you let go of run first.
I see no difference here.
First gif: I get shot right, first attempt without running, second one WITH running.
Second gif: No difference, in both cases the power is maximum (*insert stupid LSSJ Broly joke here*)

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 am
First gif: I get shot right, first attempt without running, second one WITH running.
Second gif: No difference, in both cases the power is maximum (*insert stupid LSSJ Broly joke here*)
ah yea, my bad. i just checked and it's the other way around. the barrels manually apply exponential horizontal momentum decay and thus it's required to hold run + a direction to get a decent amount of speed. this is hardcoded into the barrel ai (you can check around line 300 in launchBarrel.lua) and is thus impossible to change without a lot of tinkering, so you may end up having to compromise.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike

Postby Just_Thomas » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:19 pm

deice wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 pm
Just_Thomas wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 am
ah yea, my bad. i just checked and it's the other way around. the barrels manually apply exponential horizontal momentum decay and thus it's required to hold run + a direction to get a decent amount of speed. this is hardcoded into the barrel ai (you can check around line 300 in launchBarrel.lua) and is thus impossible to change without a lot of tinkering, so you may end up having to compromise.
Thanks for the reply. If this is almost impossible to change technically, then so be it.
But it's nice to know that, instead of making nonsensical attempts that won't lead to success anyway and will only lead to frustration. (:

harryhenry
Goomba
Goomba

Postby harryhenry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am

Does anyone know how to use widescreen? I downloaded the latest version, but looking through the config files gave me nothing about changing the screen size, nor did I see anything in the linked documentation about this either.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 am

harryhenry wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am
Does anyone know how to use widescreen? I downloaded the latest version, but looking through the config files gave me nothing about changing the screen size, nor did I see anything in the linked documentation about this either.

Code: Select all

Graphics.setMainFramebufferSize(width,height)
function onCameraUpdate()
camera.width,camera.height = Graphics.getMainFramebufferSize()
end
Default size for width and hight is 600x800

Found it in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oqE7a2vHF ... IgYmV0YSA1

harryhenry
Goomba
Goomba

Postby harryhenry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 am
harryhenry wrote:

end

I saw that as well, but where do I put that code? (I'm someone from the old days of SMBX who still hasn't gotten used to the editor, so all the new code/Lua stuff is confusing, though I'm still up for learning more about how all this works).

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

harryhenry wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 am
harryhenry wrote:

end

I saw that as well, but where do I put that code? (I'm someone from the old days of SMBX who still hasn't gotten used to the editor, so all the new code/Lua stuff is confusing, though I'm still up for learning more about how all this works).
Hm. If you’re confused on the editor, then I can give you this:
https://docs.codehaus.moe/#/general/editor

You’ll want to find script—>LunaLua—>Level Local. Level Local is for that level only, Level Global is for the entire episode (both will be called luna.lua), and World Map Script is exactly what it sounds like. (and will be called map.lua)

Then you’ll paste the code in the luna.lua file that you created. Preferably at the bottom of the file.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 am

I found a bug with npc-542 (the falling and shattering icicle-NPC):
Spoiler: show
The bug message occurs when setting "slippery=0" inside a .TXT file of that specific NPC only (the other icicle/stalactite-NPCs do not show this message).
Strangely enough, the code still works and the NPC is not slippery anymore but that message pops up everytime one plays the level.

EDIT:
Another bug related to all the stalactite/icicle-NPCs:
Spoiler: show
This one happens when setting the "breaksound"-flag and triggers continuously. Again, the sound does change but this makes the level unplayable.

DisasterMaster
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby DisasterMaster » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:20 pm

Not sure if this always happened, but Grafs/Weiersgrafs/Van De Grafs stop their horizontal movement after screen wrapping on horizontal wrap sections. If they have back-and-forth movement, they will stop at the screen's edge and return back to their original position.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:28 pm

No clue if this is intentional or not, but the piranha plants don't recognize custom SFXs.

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Sat May 04, 2024 5:57 pm

I leave for a good while. I login and there's new update

Sick.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sat May 04, 2024 6:48 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:57 pm
I leave for a good while. I login and there's new update

Sick.
Welcome back! Hope you have a good time with the new NPCs and features.

Return to “General”