DRAcalgar Law's Level Thread (New Level: Realm of Nihility)

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: King of the Boss Makers
Pronouns: he/him

Postby DRACalgar Law » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:32 pm

This is a thread where I post my levels here.

Airship Among The Valley [Compatible in B4]
Spoiler: show
This is the level I had used for the contest, B2GL2C (Bad2Good Level Contest). This is an airship level in a stormy weather and is loaded with many cannons. The Pyro Blaster lies within the airships. Think you can get 3 of the star coins. Otherwise, enjoy! Credits are in the files of this level alongside graphics and scripts.

Screenshot
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wkNryl ... sp=sharing
Boss Monastery [Compatible in B4]
The level consists of 20 LunaLua-made bosses with 9 of the rest areas consisting of paths leading to a certain boss and the last area leading to the final boss. Can you find the secret boss? Checkpoints and Mushrooms will be provided in rest areas to ensure relief from fights. Credits are in the files of this level.

Screenshot
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b2RuBg ... sp=sharing
Koopaling Bossanova [Compatible in B4]
This is a level where you fight 4 of the Koopalings in the castle. There is unlimited mushroom in the hub area before you can fight them.

Screenshot:

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7fe9qkyx ... tc6irj0lne
Malicious Glance [Compatible in B4]
A level where you take advantage of the relics used to reverse gravity. There lies a demon who can also wield the power of gravity. Can you find the 3 star coins.

Screenshot:
Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-WdNfc ... sp=sharing
Realm of Nihility [NEW LEVEL] [Compatible in B5]
This is the level I had used for the 1st MFGG Level Design Contest and obtained the Special Comp Top 5 Badge. A level where blue monsters and Skuttlers lurk by in the lushful-yet-abstractful environment.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4vk0b53d ... fnjx4&dl=0
Lemme know if there are any issues/bugs? It'd be really helpful for my work.
Last edited by DRACalgar Law on Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Re: Airship Among The Valley

Postby MegaDood » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:08 am

I think you forgot to put the download link in the main post

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby DRACalgar Law » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 pm

MegaDood wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:08 am
Download link has been added, sorry.

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:55 am

DRACalgar Law wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:09 pm
MegaDood wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:08 am
Download link has been added, sorry.
All good! This is what I thought of the level:

Firstly, I really liked the visual style, the SMB1 style with the rain and thunder set a really fitting mood for the level as being a dark armada of airships to traverse. It was a pretty straightforward romp, but I like the variety in obstacles present in different parts of the levels to help things feel more interesting. I would have liked for there to be more checkpoints as dying pretty far in the first section sent me back to the start. Also I thought the boom boom puzzle was a bit unnecessary as I feel like the reward could have been given right there and then and it wouldn't have made much difference. The end boss was very cool though.

Overall, I liked it!

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:07 am

Overall a decent level for improving the original one. Of course, I don't know what the original one looks like so I can't really judge the design. Despite that, a lot of new content is added, such as the burner, the cannon balls, the parallax backgrounds, the star coins, and the airship scroll. They help make the level more modern and viable. Well, there are way more than you needed, since there are quite a number of unused assets still inside the level (the colored variants of the cannon balls, bullet bills, mecha Koopas, and music tracks, for instance). It makes larger filesize (30MB) for such a short level, as well as complicating things when making the level.

While trying to preserve the original design, I feel like there are still ways to improve the level layout. The bullet bills/burners/variant cannons don't stand out as much despite being the main airship obstacle. Some of them are only used once. These can easily be expanded without distorting the original design. Aside from that, having a checkpoint makes the level less frustrating. I think putting it on or right before the door is most suitable, with the power-up right before the pipe (to the next segment) moved earlier specifically for the Boom Boom fight. Just a nitpick, but I think the airship scroll is too much. It is just way too high/low, and sometimes I am unable to see the floor on higher platforms.

As Megahood said, the bonus room puzzle isn't as rewarding. What I think is that the Boom Boom boss should serve as an extra challenge (with signs indicating so before the door since it confuses players whether they should go in or go left) and immediately reward the player with the "3rd Star Coin" upon defeat. The bonus room should be its own thing, encouraging the player to be observant of the surrounding instead of a disguised pipe. Rehauling the bonus room also helps, you are improving the level, not leaving old coin spam unchanged. It is more appealing for an actual room (like inside the airship) without being filled with coins.

I think the best part has to be the boss fight. It is custom-coded, and it is the last thing I expect for an improvement of a pre-existing level. Quite amazed by the idea, as well as the varied attacks it has. Although they are simple projectiles, it still feels very unique with how the boss is shaped (with its cannons). I would've hoped for a bit more HP and more theme to the main level (recall all the assets you used before the boss, such as rapid cannon, burners, 360-degree aimed cannons, etc). Still a great addition to the level compared to using a different Boom Boom AI from MrDoubleA (if the level originally have an SMB3 Boom Boom fight).

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster

NEW LEVEL: Boss Monastery (Boss Rush Level)

Postby DRACalgar Law » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:17 am

A new level has been added to this thread: the Boss Monastery level consists of 20 bosses made solely with LunaLua coding. If you can scroll to the 1st post, there you will find the collection of levels that I'd made.

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster

NEW LEVELS: Koopaling Monasters and Malicious Glance

Postby DRACalgar Law » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:21 pm

2 new levels have been added to this thread: Koopaling Monastery, where you can fight 4 of the koopalings I had made so far, and Malicious Glance, where you must use the power of gravity to persevere.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Re: DRAcalgar Law's Level Thread (New Level: Malicious Glance and Koopa Bossanova)

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:26 pm

I got this error with Koopaling Monastery:

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: DRAcalgar Law's Level Thread (New Level: Malicious Glance and Koopa Bossanova)

Postby DRACalgar Law » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:57 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:26 pm

It's all fixed. I was trying at first adding a code regarding SaveData in Lua but I still need to learn more. See if this works now; can also find it in the level section at the first top of the level thread here. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gw0pze15 ... xl9h6&dl=0

LooKiCH
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby LooKiCH » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:59 pm

it wasn't fixed (mb u inserted old link or didn't update this archive)
DRACalgar Law wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:57 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:

It's all fixed. I was trying at first adding a code regarding SaveData in Lua but I still need to learn more. See if this works now; can also find it in the level section at the first top of the level thread here. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gw0pze15 ... xl9h6&dl=0

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby DRACalgar Law » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:37 pm

LooKiCH wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:59 pm
it wasn't fixed (mb u inserted old link or didn't update this archive)
DRACalgar Law wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:57 am
mariobrigade2018 wrote:

My bad... tested it for myself and it's now working
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7fe9qkyx ... j0lne&dl=0

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby DRACalgar Law » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:41 am

The new level, Realm of Nihility, has been released. This level was used in the first MFGG Level Design Contest in which earned me a Special Comp Top 5 Medal.

halibabica
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: o.o
Pronouns: I'm a dude

Realm of Nihility LP

Postby halibabica » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:12 pm

This premiers in about 15 minutes...

halibabica
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: o.o
Pronouns: I'm a dude

Realm of Nihility Review

Postby halibabica » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 am

If you would like me to LP/review a level or episode you made, feel free to ask! My queue accepts all takers, so long as it is your own project.

Level Playlist

Realm of Nihility is a stage where you explore a bizarre alien planet. It has several new features from beta 5 and puts them to interesting use, along with a custom boss fight at the end.

The aesthetic is fittingly otherworldly with pink grass, weird plants, and freaky enemies. The NPCs come from a few different places, but notably Kid Icarus: Uprising. They’re all sufficiently strange enough to feel like they belong here. The music is from Fire Emblem Heroes, though it fits the setting well despite the source. I think the stage comes together beautifully, but it was a bit difficult for me to read. Some of the NPCs and hazards blend into the scenery too well and I kept getting hurt on certain things until I learned to watch out for them.

Your main opposition comes from Skuttlers, which are weapon-wielding octopus people. There’s one with a bone club that has its own AI for attacks and movement, and two different versions with a hand cannon. The green gun fires bombs that fly a short distance before exploding while the blue gun fires a ball of energy. Both go straight toward you and ignore obstacles, so you need to be careful when you approach. A quick pounce is enough to deal with any of them when they’re vulnerable.

There’s decent variety in the challenges presented, both from enemies and platforming. The first section introduces things well enough in time for later parts to ramp up. I’d say the stage is fair, but punishing in the latter half. The area after the midpoint has you navigate a blast barrel section for coins that open the way forward, but immediately afterward, you need to ride a platform across a long gap to reach the boss. There’s a checkpoint before the battle, but if you don’t survive the ride, you have to repeat the whole barrel section, and that can get really tedious. The ride itself faces many of the same problems that auto-scroll sections tend to have.

The boss is pretty well-balanced. It has several attacks that can be dodged consistently with enough time to react, so learning the fight means you’ll get through just fine eventually. This was a much better experience than I’ve had with some of DRACalgar’s other bosses, so it was a relief to see this working effectively.

Overall, I think it’s a relatively solid stage. It could afford to be a little easier, but this is compensated for with the volume of mushrooms available. While that’s no excuse for a stage to be imbalanced, it does help at least, and I don’t think it’s pushing too hard. Definitely worth a look.

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Realm of Nihility Review

Postby DRACalgar Law » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 am

halibabica wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 am
If you would like me to LP/review a level or episode you made, feel free to ask! My queue accepts all takers, so long as it is your own project.

Level Playlist

Realm of Nihility is a stage where you explore a bizarre alien planet. It has several new features from beta 5 and puts them to interesting use, along with a custom boss fight at the end.

The aesthetic is fittingly otherworldly with pink grass, weird plants, and freaky enemies. The NPCs come from a few different places, but notably Kid Icarus: Uprising. They’re all sufficiently strange enough to feel like they belong here. The music is from Fire Emblem Heroes, though it fits the setting well despite the source. I think the stage comes together beautifully, but it was a bit difficult for me to read. Some of the NPCs and hazards blend into the scenery too well and I kept getting hurt on certain things until I learned to watch out for them.

Your main opposition comes from Skuttlers, which are weapon-wielding octopus people. There’s one with a bone club that has its own AI for attacks and movement, and two different versions with a hand cannon. The green gun fires bombs that fly a short distance before exploding while the blue gun fires a ball of energy. Both go straight toward you and ignore obstacles, so you need to be careful when you approach. A quick pounce is enough to deal with any of them when they’re vulnerable.

There’s decent variety in the challenges presented, both from enemies and platforming. The first section introduces things well enough in time for later parts to ramp up. I’d say the stage is fair, but punishing in the latter half. The area after the midpoint has you navigate a blast barrel section for coins that open the way forward, but immediately afterward, you need to ride a platform across a long gap to reach the boss. There’s a checkpoint before the battle, but if you don’t survive the ride, you have to repeat the whole barrel section, and that can get really tedious. The ride itself faces many of the same problems that auto-scroll sections tend to have.

The boss is pretty well-balanced. It has several attacks that can be dodged consistently with enough time to react, so learning the fight means you’ll get through just fine eventually. This was a much better experience than I’ve had with some of DRACalgar’s other bosses, so it was a relief to see this working effectively.

Overall, I think it’s a relatively solid stage. It could afford to be a little easier, but this is compensated for with the volume of mushrooms available. While that’s no excuse for a stage to be imbalanced, it does help at least, and I don’t think it’s pushing too hard. Definitely worth a look.
Thank you for playing my level! It would've also been better for me to also add more coins due to the lack of it and a checkpoint at the platform section.

Return to “Levels”