smwMap.lua (v1.2.1) - The Levels are using Levels!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
cold soup
Rex
Rex
Flair: yeah
Pronouns: he/him

Re: smwMap.lua (v1.2.1) - The Levels are using Levels!

Postby cold soup » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:16 pm

got a question, is there a way multiple paths can hide the same scenery?

RotisserieSalad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: the terrible tormentor of twinks /j
Pronouns: he/him or they/them

Postby RotisserieSalad » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:00 am

sooo i had a cool idea for my world map but i can't execute it properly because i have no idea how to properly change path types mid-path without completely breaking it...

https://postimg.cc/LhRDFvCf

as you can see i used those spots that stop you so i could start a new path bc i didn't know how to just continue the paths while switching them from normal to bridge, and then back. can someone with more knowledge of this library help?

SpoonyBardOL
Swooper
Swooper

Postby SpoonyBardOL » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:00 am

Here's an example from my project. The path going from the right of Mario on the map has its info in the settings shown below it. Don't get hung up on names like 'rounded' in the 'Types' field, I just have some extra path types created but it would still function the same using the default path names, which you can find in the 'path' subfolder in the smwMap main folder.

You can add as many different path types in a single path as you'd like but each one needs its own coordinates. However the coordinates used at the end of the previous path type are used as the beginning of the new path type.

In the duplicate settings window I have in this image I have some boxes and lines drawn in to help visualize how the points connect. The first two sets of coordinates connect to the first path type (red lines) and this is where any path with a single path type would stop. But I add a second 'rounded' node in the path (orange lines), and in this case this is just so the initial path leading out of the level is straight before turning. Then I have an invisible path (green lines), and this is just so my rounded path will come to a natural end before leading into the bridge and is just for aesthetic purposes. Then there's the bridge (blue lines) which leads into one final invisible path to the next level (purple lines).

It took me a bit to get my head around how the spline coordinates needed to be set up too. It got easier once I realized that you effectively need to have one extra pair of coordinates for every path type you have (ie: two pairs for just a single path type, three for two, four for three, etc).

Does that help any?

Just_Thomas
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Just_Thomas » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 am

SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:00 am
Here's an example from my project.
Does that help any?
I am sure it will be helpful. Not everyone is keen to say thank you for everything. It may therefore be that it helps some unregistered user - i.e. a guest - somewhere. In any case, I think it's very cool of you to have made the effort. As I said, it will help someone, even if you don't necessarily notice it actively.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:56 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 am
SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Here's an example from my project.
Does that help any?
I am sure it will be helpful. Not everyone is keen to say thank you for everything. It may therefore be that it helps some unregistered user - i.e. a guest - somewhere. In any case, I think it's very cool of you to have made the effort. As I said, it will help someone, even if you don't necessarily notice it actively.
OHHHHHHH. So this was the documentation and example everyone was asking for!

Also, is there a 1.3 of this in the works?

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:05 pm

Why ain't this in basegame yet?!?

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:23 am

TheGameyFireBro105 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:05 pm
Why ain't this in basegame yet?!?
cuz it don't support the X2 characters by default, man.

Edit:
KurttheKing wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:26 pm
Can I make an intro level that loads before the World Map does and how? (BTW, I've seen it done in STTB3 so I know it's possible somehow)
Also, how do you/what do you use to make Mega Tiles? (What Software or Technique to be specific) Is it possible to change what Area of the Map you're in via going into a level? (for example, at the end of the level, your character gets fired out of a cannon into a new location on the Map) And finally, can a Path be made of multiple different Types of Paths? (Normal Path followed by a Bridge Path and another Normal Path) P.S., I'm TERRIBLE at Scripting
if I remember correctly, you need to make a level called "Intro" somewhere in your episode.

RotisserieSalad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby RotisserieSalad » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:37 pm

SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Here's an example from my project. The path going from the right of Mario on the map has its info in the settings shown below it. Don't get hung up on names like 'rounded' in the 'Types' field, I just have some extra path types created but it would still function the same using the default path names, which you can find in the 'path' subfolder in the smwMap main folder.

You can add as many different path types in a single path as you'd like but each one needs its own coordinates. However the coordinates used at the end of the previous path type are used as the beginning of the new path type.

In the duplicate settings window I have in this image I have some boxes and lines drawn in to help visualize how the points connect. The first two sets of coordinates connect to the first path type (red lines) and this is where any path with a single path type would stop. But I add a second 'rounded' node in the path (orange lines), and in this case this is just so the initial path leading out of the level is straight before turning. Then I have an invisible path (green lines), and this is just so my rounded path will come to a natural end before leading into the bridge and is just for aesthetic purposes. Then there's the bridge (blue lines) which leads into one final invisible path to the next level (purple lines).

It took me a bit to get my head around how the spline coordinates needed to be set up too. It got easier once I realized that you effectively need to have one extra pair of coordinates for every path type you have (ie: two pairs for just a single path type, three for two, four for three, etc).

Does that help any?
that actually helps a whole lot, thank you!

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:50 pm

The Discord link for Vito's SMW Tileset (for Tiled) no longer works.

Does anyone happen to have a backup link for it?

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?

Postby MrDoubleA » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:41 pm

Jumper wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:50 pm

Assuming that this is due to the recent Discord changes, you can still access it. Just paste the download link into a discord message, then open it in Discord. This should work for any broken Discord download link.

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:46 pm

MrDoubleA wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:41 pm
Jumper wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:50 pm

Assuming that this is due to the recent Discord changes, you can still access it. Just paste the download link into a discord message, then open it in Discord. This should work for any broken Discord download link.
I just tried that, and it worked like a charm.

The fact that I had to go out of my way to do that is bs, but oh well.

Thanks.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation

Re: smwMap.lua (v1.2) - The Levels are using Levels!

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm
I've made some extras for use with this lua pack. First off is a Crossroad object that auto-opens any selected paths once the crossroad itself is revealed, its appearance changes based on which paths are currently unlocked (thanks mutantvine code!) and it even has a locked function where you can set any combination of Stars or Star Coins to unlock it.

I've also ported some of the map sprites from Level Contest Japan (which were created by Enjl, I believe?), floating blocks, Walking NPCs, Jumping NPCs, and Patrolling NPCs (Charlie).

Spoiler: show

Some of the path connections to the crossroads look a bit odd since they were left as-is from MDA's demo map, otherwise I'd make sure they connected more naturally to the crossroad.
Download:
Heya. I've been using your crossroad object for my SMBX episode in SMWMap. It works like a charm actually, but there's this one issue I noticed:

https://imgur.com/HQ1ve7k

Basically, the UI for requirements to unlock the gates kinda visually break if you walk into a crossroad object locked with star coins; then walk into another locked with Power Stars.

SpoonyBardOL
Swooper
Swooper

Postby SpoonyBardOL » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Huh, weird, I thought I accounted for that but I supposed I overlooked something. Anyway it was an easy fix, you can grab the updated file in the original post or here.

RotisserieSalad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby RotisserieSalad » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

SpoonyBardOL wrote:

Does that help any?
Image isn't working and I really need it to, do you think you could update the link please?

SpoonyBardOL
Swooper
Swooper

Postby SpoonyBardOL » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

Looks like Cubeupload, or Cloudflare, crapped the bed. It'll probably right itself eventually but in the meantime I threw the image on Imgur.

RotisserieSalad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby RotisserieSalad » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm
Looks like Cubeupload, or Cloudflare, crapped the bed. It'll probably right itself eventually but in the meantime I threw the image on Imgur.
Thanks man! You're a massive help!

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:14 pm

SpoonyBardOL wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm
Huh, weird, I thought I accounted for that but I supposed I overlooked something. Anyway it was an easy fix, you can grab the updated file in the original post or here.
Yeah, I updated the files by downloading it... But now I'm getting an error related to the crossroad objects themselves.

Do you possibly know why this happens?

SpoonyBardOL
Swooper
Swooper

Postby SpoonyBardOL » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:58 am

Huh, that was making me scratch my head, but turns out it's another oversight on my end, but I have no idea how I made this mistake. Short version is that the settings file for the crossroad object had one of its settings missing in the version I uploaded, causing that error. Try the most recent updated version in the original post or here.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:13 pm

How would I update this to b5? I think all I need to do is to put in the new win types, so how would I add them?

Return to “LunaLua”