animationPal.lua & cutscenePal.lua - Custom player animation and a framework for cutscenes!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: How much munchers?
Pronouns: he/him

animationPal.lua & cutscenePal.lua - Custom player animation and a framework for cutscenes!

Postby MrDoubleA » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 am

These are two libraries that I have been using for quite a while, and am finally releasing them.
If you want to use these, I'd recommend having a decent amount of experience with Lua first.

animationPal

animationPal can create "animator" objects, which can be given animation sets and used to make animation easier. However, it also includes the ability to completely replace a player character's animation and rendering systems entirely. It is also fully multiplayer compatible.

Example: show
This is an example for the custom player animation system, using the SMW Mario sprites. It is included as a level in the download.

cutscenePal

cutscenePal is for creating custom cutscenes. It requires animationPal to work. It provides several useful features:
- Scene objects, which are the core of the library and help to organise cutscenes.
- Actors, which are flexible objects used for any characters or objects needed for the cutscene.
- Optional littleDialogue support.
- Optionally being able to skip cutscenes (though you may need to write extra code for it, depending on the scene).
- Making the player "inactive" for a cutscene, useful if you want to replace the player with an actor or otherwise hide them. Layers will also still move when the player is inactive.
- Letterboxing and skip transitions, which are overridable with your own draw functions.

An example cutscene is included in the download. There's quite a bit it doesn't show off, so I'd recommend reading through the cutscenePal.lua file which provides descriptions and documentation for each function and value.

Examples: show
This is a simple example cutscene. It is included as a level in the download.

This is a more advanced example, made by me for Starshi's SMBX2 project, Super Mario and the Rainbow Stars. It is not included in the download.

Download

Download for both

Documentation is provided within the comments of each respective file.

JackTBS
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: animationPal.lua & cutscenePal.lua - Custom player animation and a framework for cutscenes!

Postby JackTBS » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:47 am

This is great! I was wondering if this is compatible with your camera lua?

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry

Re: animationPal.lua & cutscenePal.lua - Custom player animation and a framework for cutscenes!

Postby MrDoubleA » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:39 pm

JackTBS wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:47 am
This is great! I was wondering if this is compatible with your camera lua?
Should be (assuming you're referring to customCamera), though it'd likely be easier to use handycam, which is what's used for the example.

mariobrigade2018
Spike
Spike
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:24 am

MrDoubleA wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 am
animationPal

animationPal can create "animator" objects, which can be given animation sets and used to make animation easier. However, it also includes the ability to completely replace a player character's animation and rendering systems entirely. It is also fully multiplayer compatible.
Wait...does that mean...your able to make this?

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry

Postby MrDoubleA » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:40 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:24 am
Wait...does that mean...your able to make this?

You mean SMA2 Luigi's kicking animations when jumping? That's really basic and not something that you need this for.

Dor_78
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Dor_78 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:31 am

Can we add attack animations for the actor?

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker

Postby Mal8rk » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:27 pm

I don't really understand how the routines work & how to put them in the code

Max Flower
Rex
Rex

Postby Max Flower » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:14 pm

Hi so I made a LunaLua pack that uses mostly original code except for animationPal.lua, is it fine if I include it in the download or would I have to direct people to download it seperately?

MrDoubleA
Flurry
Flurry

Postby MrDoubleA » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:33 pm

Max Flower wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:14 pm
Hi so I made a LunaLua pack that uses mostly original code except for animationPal.lua, is it fine if I include it in the download or would I have to direct people to download it seperately?
I would personally recommend just linking this forum post, but you could also just include it if you wish.

cold soup
Rex
Rex
Flair: yeah

Postby cold soup » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:58 pm

not really a bug report per se, but as far as i can tell the skipExitDuration property in cutscenePal.lua doesn't do anything

Dor_78
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Dor_78 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:21 pm

Can we make that the player walks and looks up at the same time?

Return to “LunaLua”