Fable of the Relic

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Daring Tombstone
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: What? Not 1000 posts? That means I suck right?

Fable of the Relic

Postby Daring Tombstone » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:45 pm

The fable of the relic tells of an object of incredible power in exchange for a deadly cost. After an unfortunate accident your partner Amber disappears with the relic. You chase after her with hopes of stopping her before it's too late.

Welcome to this episode. You play as an oshawott rescuing his partner Amber from the clutches of the administrator. This is more story focused so if that's not your thing then I guess you can move along. The episode runs off the Beta 4 engine, download for that is below if you don't have it for some reason.

Oshawott is a resprited link so his controls are the same. You have the downstab and upstabs. Low front stabs for enemies that are up to one block tall, swipe bombs to pick them up (except smb2 walking bombs), down drop bombs below you which is helpful for one particular level. There are no lives or 1ups in this episode, instead money can be used to give yourself the fire, ice, or hammer powerup with the drop item button and tops off your hearts. Dialogue can be advanced with either attack buttons. Some bosses (I'm terrible at bosses sorry in advance) have an optional hard mode. Doing a boss in hard mode does not do anything other than add an additional challenge and are just for bragging rights. Beating everything in normal mode would be the same as hard mode in the end. It was mainly an experiment I wanted to mess around with and nothing else.

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6ee1mz20 ... hug1s&dl=0
SMBX Beta 4 Download: https://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/downloads.php

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Changelog:
12/14/23
Fixed the switch near the beginning of Planar Temple to disappear when it is hit.
Moved the oran berry in portal to the edge of the arena in Pyrric Showdown so it's not in the way if you don't need it at that time.
Tweaked the end of the scene in Skyway to prevent the player from jumping out of the auto control so you will end the level properly. (hopefully)
Removed the invisible shield Oshawott has. No idea when I enabled it again since I had it disabled at one point before but it's fixed now.
Ascella will no longer mention a Lumeon in the end. (The story behind this was I made a particular download for a friend and somehow I mixed the download links up).
Kept the cheating punishment off. This is more of a behind the scenes than a change. Originally if you used a cheat you would be killed immediately while some meme trash played as a result. If you want to see it for some reason remove the --on line 271
If anything is broken or doesn't seem to work properly let me know. If something is too hard then put on your gamer glasses. Thanks for playing.
Last edited by Daring Tombstone on Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: King of the Boss Makers
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Fable of the Relic

Postby DRACalgar Law » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:55 am

I checked the files without playing, and some of the bosses, some made by me, are grouped together in one level. I assume that level is a boss rush? Speaking of which, some are outdated as I checked the lua files.

Added in 11 hours 36 minutes 37 seconds:
Now that I played the endgame levels. I would like to point out one bug:
  • I somehow kept dying on the Final Battle level each time I enter those boss phases from the portals.

I do recommend using some of my other bosses from my other packs in your future projects. Otherwise, it seemed like a great episode.

Daring Tombstone
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Daring Tombstone » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:36 am

DRACalgar Law wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:32 pm

Added in 11 hours 36 minutes 37 seconds:
Now that I played the endgame levels. I would like to point out one bug:
  • I somehow kept dying on the Final Battle level each time I enter those boss phases from the portals.

I do recommend using some of my other bosses from my other packs in your future projects. Otherwise, it seemed like a great episode.
Volcanic climb not sure why you died there. Supposed to be warped out to a safe area. Never had that problem so not sure what happened. The other level those deaths are happening because of a mechanic.
You get cursed when entering a portal as indicated by the purple mist effect on you. You cleanse it with the green pad on the left before going into another portal.
Yeah the boss pack is a great one. I remember picking it up long ago, not surprised it was updated since then.

Mike
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:49 am

So far I am thoroughly enjoying this game, really well done. However I unfortunately ran into a Debug error at the part shown in the image where I am to ask a question. It happens whenever I try to ask any of the questions available.

Is there a fix for this? Is it on me perhaps? I'm not very techy when it comes to this stuff but with a bit of help I'd love to continue playing. Thanks!

Daring Tombstone
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Daring Tombstone » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:57 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:49 am
So far I am thoroughly enjoying this game, really well done. However I unfortunately ran into a Debug error at the part shown in the image where I am to ask a question. It happens whenever I try to ask any of the questions available.

Is there a fix for this? Is it on me perhaps? I'm not very techy when it comes to this stuff but with a bit of help I'd love to continue playing. Thanks!
Ah you're at that part huh.
The debug screen is fake. Don't click anything and don't look away.
A known bug is in the planar temple level. When you enter the temple there's a hidden switch that brings up a platform. The switch is supposed to go away when you hit it but for some reason the layer got changed and it doesn't disappear. Don't hit the switch more than once. If you do the platform goes up again and out of reach. I'll fix it whenever I can but I rarely get free time these days. This is just a warning so you're not stuck later.

Mike
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:58 am

Daring Tombstone wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:57 pm
Mike wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:49 am

Ah you're at that part huh.
The debug screen is fake. Don't click anything and don't look away.
A known bug is in the planar temple level. When you enter the temple there's a hidden switch that brings up a platform. The switch is supposed to go away when you hit it but for some reason the layer got changed and it doesn't disappear. Don't hit the switch more than once. If you do the platform goes up again and out of reach. I'll fix it whenever I can but I rarely get free time these days. This is just a warning so you're not stuck later.
I am so silly! All I had to do was wait just a few seconds lol. Clever tactic, I rarely see errors and I'll bet there was something oddly "off" about it compared to others that I was completely missing as a result. Thanks though! As I say you've done a wonderful job with this so far, I'm liking the story a lot and the variety of levels I've encountered thus far.

Daring Tombstone
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Daring Tombstone » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:06 pm

New download link includes a few fixes. It's not a required download but it does fix the switch layering issue in Planar Temple.

Return to “Episodes”