The New Invasion [revamp of TI1]

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
MacheTheFerret
Phanto
Phanto
Pronouns: she/her

The New Invasion [revamp of TI1]

Postby MacheTheFerret » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:29 pm

After a weird almost-a-year-long break, I'm ready to just call this done. For die-hard nostalgic SMBX fans, this one's for you.

I took The Invasion (the original) and went through all of the levels to do a variety of changes and tweaks, some larger than others. Changes include, but aren't limited to:
  • Every non-bonus level now has a checkpoint
  • Altered powerup distribution in some places (including adding Ice Flowers and Yoshis)
  • More game-style consistency within sections (between sections, however, not always)
  • New/revamped bosses; every boss encounter is now unique, whether it be a vanilla boss, a slightly custom boss, or a gang of beefy enemies
  • Worlds 4 and 8 have been rethemed into a snow world and lava/dark world respectively
  • Many "daytime" levels are now in the evening or night for variety's sake
  • Swapped out enemies in some levels
  • Adding slopes, fixing cutoffs and softlocks, altering several particularly awkward or annoying elements/sections, and more (although let's be honest, it's The Invasion 1, it's gonna get pretty annoying in the late game)
  • While Lua has been mostly kept to a minimum, it's been used to disable spinjumping, add warp transitions reminiscent of SMB3, and handle autoscrolling, among other things
  • ???
And the world map has been completely redone, including giving each world a name.
World map and names:
Spoiler: show
From left-to-right, top-to-bottom:
World 1: Digit Plains
World 2: Occasional Subconia
World 3: Dinoless Island
World 4: Nostalgia Iceland
World 5: Tricky Coast
World 6: Pyramids of Fail
World 7: Forest of Disillusion
World 8: Dark Land
Some level screenshots (though some won't look too different from the originals):
Spoiler: show
I decided to forgo my original plans of trying to alter certain elements (ex: the HUD) to make it look like you're playing an SMB3 ROM hack, although some of those elements are still present. In any case, I did this because SMBX was a huge part of my childhood and I guess I wanted to pay tribute to it somehow. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can download the project here: (Some graphics are made by me, most are not. Additional credits can be found in credits.txt)

And that's it for now. It's a bit of a mess, and it's debatable whether or not it's now a "more polished mess" as I said in the projects thread, but I just wanted to be done with it. Thanks, and have fun. Also, trans rights.

Return to “Episodes”