I'm not going to buy the Switch anymore

Off-topic discussion.
Shodax
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Pronouns: he

I'm not going to buy the Switch anymore

Postby Shodax » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:28 pm

Before a little context: why am I announcing a personal decision here? as a good fan of the Super Mario saga I have loved their games since I was a child, I always wanted to make my own Super Mario game and even with my childish naivety I dreamed that one day Nintendo would hire me thanks to my ideas it sounds silly but I was only a 6-year-old child. Growing up I understood that it is better to create something of my own than to be promoting and honoring a company. However thanks to projects like this, the Mario Multiverse, Mario 4 players and many several projects of creation of your own level or Super Mario game I saw the possibility of making that distant childhood dream come true and create my own Super Mario game thanks to SMBX projects and at the same time I was raising money to one day buy a Nintendo Switch since many of the best games of this time Are they for that console, but what happened? many things. Nintendo started with quite questionable practices such as disappearing its digital stores, to have a complete experience it is necessary to pay online, the high cost of its games that never fall in price, terrible online etc, but ok, a company can put the policies it wants and this in its right but what in my opinion is already unforgivable is to kick and spit in the face of its customers and followers more diehard. I already knew that Nintendo has a reputation for knocking down projects and companies and it is good if it cancels these profits, like those who negotiate with piracy ... but the fan games why? Projects without any profit, projects that take a lot of time and effort for nothing, absolutely nothing just create a community that shares the taste for the creations of that company. So the straw that broke the camel's back for me was the cancellation of the main domain of smbx and the withdrawal of graphic material owned by that company. The smbx in my opinion is the best "engine maker" to create super Mario games, it is not as simple as the official Mario maker but has more advanced features that make games more spectacular, complex and fun, games and material that does not affect at all the sales of the console and its games but if it were for them they would have already canceled but fortunately the legality protects us by not putting material of that company in the downloads of smbx and its different distributions and I mention this because if it were not for that SMBX would be canceled and its diretes distributions like 38a, x2 and TheXTech. So for the above does not acquire a Switch as a form of protest, I will prefer to raise more money and buy a better computer that emulates the Switch games that if legally buying the games and dumping them to play them on pc and also I will do it more knowing that this company does not care in the least that it has lost a potential customer among thousands that it has. That's if I continue to develop my Super Mario game and participate in this community. Finally, I do not intend to indoctrinate anyone just to express what I think and I do not care if they call me an extremist, incongruous or demagogue.

PS: I hope you understand everything I put because my English is not very good so I use a translator

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: I'm not going to buy the Switch anymore

Postby ShadowXeldron » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:06 am

As a Switch owner, the Switch is honestly overrated. You're not missing much aside from a few first party titles, a lot of which (at least on the Mario side) are actually just Wii U games. The Joy-Cons (but not the Pro Controller; that one's actually quite good) are also rubbish and start to malfunction quite quickly.

However, you'll need a hacked Switch to dump Switch ROMs, and the kind of Switch you'll need has to be from the first production run because of a security vulnerability that isn't in newer models. Nintendo won't get anything from secondhand sales, but a Switch with a serial number confirming that it is vulnerable to the fusee-gelee exploit will likely cost you way too much for what its worth. If you're going the PC route, I'd honestly just stick to native PC games instead of relying on Switch emulation.

Shodax
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Pronouns: he

Postby Shodax » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:20 pm

Dragon0307 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:06 am
As a Switch owner, the Switch is honestly overrated. You're not missing much aside from a few first party titles, a lot of which (at least on the Mario side) are actually just Wii U games. The Joy-Cons (but not the Pro Controller; that one's actually quite good) are also rubbish and start to malfunction quite quickly.

However, you'll need a hacked Switch to dump Switch ROMs, and the kind of Switch you'll need has to be from the first production run because of a security vulnerability that isn't in newer models. Nintendo won't get anything from secondhand sales, but a Switch with a serial number confirming that it is vulnerable to the fusee-gelee exploit will likely cost you way too much for what its worth. If you're going the PC route, I'd honestly just stick to native PC games instead of relying on Switch emulation.
my current pc can run 80% of the Switch catalog and it is not so bad, I just have to buy a better processor and more RAM and it will run much better than in the Switch, I have a Switch Pro control of the "similar" type so I can play without problems. Once I acquire the Swtich games I will see how I turn them to a Rom, the case I buy them

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:02 pm

About the domain thing, I'm honestly surprised they didn't even take it down earlier since it literally uses "mario" inside the domain, it was bound to happen. Also dragon0307, I definitely think the swotch isn't overrated like think about it, no price drops even tho it's been 6 years, joy con drift, and in general the console atp is known for being unstable.

Fangamestalgia
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: I am Fan
Pronouns: They, She, He, It

Postby Fangamestalgia » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:16 pm

I would definitely buy a Nintendo Switch, but I won't be able to purchase one due to not having enough money.

It's indeed important to back up SMBX and other fangames content. I mentioned the importance of backups in viewtopic.php?t=29238

Return to “Sandbox”