SMBX2: The Redstone Engine Contest!(Reply to Participate!)

For hosting contests and events.

Moderator: Event Organizers

MarioChallengerX2
Dolphin
Dolphin
Pronouns: he/him

SMBX2: The Redstone Engine Contest!(Reply to Participate!)

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:17 pm

I made this post a few weeks ago:
viewtopic.php?t=29075

The only people so far who have joined as judges are Megadood, SetaYoshi, and me. I'll still accept more judges for this contest, hopefully you can help with that if you don't want to compete!

Anyway, so let me explain this contest.

SetaYoshi has a special NPC pack called the Redstone NPC Pack. It's a nice toolkit to improve and modify any level, and you can achieve greater dreams with the power of lua code within!

Now, it's come to my attention that I don't see much people apart from me using it. (To be fair, I haven't made a level with the pack yet, but I'm using it for my episode so, there's me. Also, Future Nyan Cat apparently used it before as there is a GFX pack for the pack specifically! :D

This is why I wanted to make the Redstone Engine Contest. I want this pack to be well known and used to improve your SMBX Episodes or levels. That being said, here are the rules for the contest below:

#1. You must download and use the Redstone Devkit made by SetaYoshi( in order for your submission to be viable in the contest. The reason for this is to not break compatibility among levels if a contest episode is made.
#2. You must only use Redstone components throughout the level. This rule might be vague but essentially, if you want to do something unique, like a switch gate with layers, find a way to do it with Redstone.
#3. You can use custom NPCs. However, in Seta’s NPC pack, there are non-Redstone versions of some NPCs in the main NPC pack.(Amped Jewel, Lectern, Buttons, Levers and Spyblocks) You are not allowed to use those. Additionally, be wary of strange oddities you might have with custom NPCs. Specifically, with the Pistons. Pushing them may sometimes give unexpected results! But if you can use it to your advantage, go for it! 😄 (It’s all about being creative!)
#5. The biggest challenge. The only thing luna.lua files can be used for are for loading libraries like littledialogue and just library code in general, but you are not allowed to code anywhere else from that. You can ONLY use lua code through command block execution (and control chips to an extent)
This is my favorite rule! Seta's test level truly shows an example of a Redstone Level at its core. Using only command blocks to execute code and no luna.lua files included! With this creative restriction, there's no doubt what you can create with this cool pack! (There will be tips on how to “replicate functions” from Lunalua later, when the contest submission actually begins since according to Seta, those aren’t accessible in the command block environment.)

Rubric:
??/40: Redstone Engine: How much components of Redstone did you use? How much contraptions did you make? Or did you not use Redstone at all and just make a simple vanillalish level with a luna.lua file?

??/20: Creativeness: How creative are the contraptions of the level? Are they complex? Are they simplistic? Are they well hidden?

??/15: Gameplay: Is your level tough, is your level fun, does your level look pretty?

??/15: Level Type Skill: How good was your type of level? Was your level modified with Redstone different compared to any other level you played? Was your puzzle level very confusing or simple to understand? How cool were your boss' attacks modified with Redstone power?

??/-10: Lag and Stability: This is a penalty category, not getting any points in this will reward you 10 points. The reason why this category exists is because Redstone can lag your game sometimes. Be cautious and try to minimize lag if you can.

In this contest, you are able to submit 3 submissions. However, there is a catch.
If you do submit 3 levels, they need to be different types from one another.
Here are the categories of levels that are allowed.
1. Regular levels(Simple platforming, kaizo is okay but not too difficult. Don't make a difficult level like that Yoshi Level in Science-Con.)
2. Puzzle Levels(As Seta said, this pack would be useful to create puzzles with.)
3. Boss Levels. (I think you could make a good boss with Redstone contraptions with Amped Jewels and Flamethrowers, I did so for my lost MAFAB3 entry I quit on)

Rules, rubric, information and news are subject to change overtime, depending on how I discuss this plan with the judges, SetaYoshi and Megadood.

Anyway, when this contest starts, well...the date will be announced whenever SetaYoshi finishes Redstone 1.3. and that's when the devkit will be available by then.

That's all for now, I'll update you as soon as Redstone 1.3 is out! :D
Last edited by MarioChallengerX2 on Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max Flower
Rex
Rex
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: SMBX2: The Redstone Engine Contest!(Now accepting contestants)

Postby Max Flower » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:45 am

So I don't think you explained the accepting contestants bit in the title, do I just comment here to apply?

MarioChallengerX2
Dolphin
Dolphin
Pronouns: he/him

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:51 pm

Max Flower wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:45 am
So I don't think you explained the accepting contestants bit in the title, do I just comment here to apply?
Oh, yeah. I should have planned that about better. Yes, just reply to apply!

Max Flower
Rex
Rex
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Max Flower » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:44 am

MarioChallengerX2 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:51 pm
Max Flower wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:45 am
Oh, yeah. I should have planned that about better. Yes, just reply to apply!
Alright, I apply then.

Return to “Contests and Events”