AI Rules Update Questioning

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
MarioChallengerX2
Dolphin
Dolphin
Pronouns: he/him

AI Rules Update Questioning

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:00 pm

Simple question: AI art isn't allowed, but what about AI stories?

Like, what if we wanted to use something like AI Dungeon to help us give inspiration for our own SMBX levels?

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Re: AI Rules Update Questioning

Postby krakin » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:59 pm

MarioChallengerX2 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:00 pm
Simple question: AI art isn't allowed, but what about AI stories?

Like, what if we wanted to use something like AI Dungeon to help us give inspiration for our own SMBX levels?
Guess you're just out of luck then, it wouldn't hurt to ask other people for inspiration once in a while.
Last edited by krakin on Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:31 am

I think it's fine since it's just for inspiration, not really sure though.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:58 pm

Stories are a form of art, therefore AI generated stories are a form of AI generated art, and they probably have the same issues anyway, even if you don't consider it art. We can't force people to not use AI generated art for inspiration, but we have decided that as a community largely focused on creativity, we should be supporting independent artists, whose livelihoods are threatened by these things, and therefore strongly discourage members of the community from using AI art generators, and disallow anything that encourages others to use said generators. There are all sorts of other things you can use for inspiration for your levels that don't disenfranchise artists.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:55 pm

My views on AI in general have soured a bit recently, mostly after learning about the class-action lawsuits against OpenAI regarding their theft of personal information used in datasets to train their AI models. I used to be a strong proponent of AI generated art, music, videos, and predictive text models, and usually believed that people who argued against supporting them on the basis of theft and jeopardizing the livelihoods of artists were grossly overexaggerating the negative effects of them. Now, I'm not as positive about advocating for AI anymore, especially after seeing this situation where someone deepfaked images of politicians cheating with romantic partners. I see how it definitely could've done real-world harm, as AI image generators have gotten progressively better at making higher quality results that are likely to fool people into believing they're real images.

Return to “Site Discussion”