Custom Music in 2.0 world editor

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Kitti and Minni
Bit
Bit
Flair: Pixelated Perfection

Custom Music in 2.0 world editor

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:12 pm

I'm currently getting myself accustomed to SMBX 2.0, and I'm attempting to make a small project to do so. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add custom music to the world map. I know it probably seems dumb but I'd appreciate help.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Custom Music in 2.0 world editor

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 pm

you need to override existing world map music, either by placing a music file with the same name in the episode folder, or using a music.ini file to remap the name of the song loaded.

Kitti and Minni
Bit
Bit

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:18 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 pm
you need to override existing world map music, either by placing a music file with the same name in the episode folder, or using a music.ini file to remap the name of the song loaded.
Oh, thanks!
Though that seems kind of limiting if you only have so many slots to work with, doesn't it?
Or do I just misunderstand how it works
Either way, thanks again!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:29 pm

Kitti and Minni wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:18 pm
Enjl wrote:
Oh, thanks!
Though that seems kind of limiting if you only have so many slots to work with, doesn't it?
It is a little limiting, but SMBX inherently never had a custom music feature for world maps, which is where that limiting factor comes from. World map tech is also quite underdeveloped in basegame, so this was never addressed to this point. The editor has a custom music field for world maps cause it's not primarily for SMBX2, and this totally never leads to confusion :p

Kitti and Minni
Bit
Bit

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:29 pm
Kitti and Minni wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:18 pm
Enjl wrote:
Oh, thanks!
It is a little limiting, but SMBX inherently never had a custom music feature for world maps, which is where that limiting factor comes from. World map tech is also quite underdeveloped in basegame, so this was never addressed to this point. The editor has a custom music field for world maps cause it's not primarily for SMBX2, and this totally never leads to confusion :p
fair enough, though now I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the .ini file, because it isn't loading the custom music. Maybe I wrote it out wrong or maybe i didn't do something I should've?
(Sorry if this is wasting time I'm just really used to the old editor XP)

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:36 pm

the load path is relative to the episode folder, so the way you arranged it, that requires there to be a "Project Dark" subfolder in the episode folder. That is what I suspect is not the case here.

Kitti and Minni
Bit
Bit

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:37 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:36 pm
the load path is relative to the episode folder, so the way you arranged it, that requires there to be a "Project Dark" subfolder in the episode folder. That is what I suspect is not the case here.
Ironically, I have that already

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:38 pm

Should work, then, assuming music.ini is located in the episode folder. If it still doesn't, try just renaming the song to fit the basegame song (ignoring file extension - that may differ).

Kitti and Minni
Bit
Bit

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:41 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:38 pm
Should work, then, assuming music.ini is located in the episode folder. If it still doesn't, try just renaming the song to fit the basegame song (ignoring file extension - that may differ).
Alright, thanks again!

IT WORKS!
THANK YOU

vinihuebr
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: gaming skill
Pronouns: he/him

Postby vinihuebr » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:31 pm

Emral wrote:
Hey just a quick question here. does it also work for other music themes like the P-switch theme or the end credits theme? i am making an episode on smbx2 and i need to know that since i want to add a custom song for the end credits.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:51 am

vinihuebr wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:31 pm
Emral wrote:
Hey just a quick question here. does it also work for other music themes like the P-switch theme or the end credits theme? i am making an episode on smbx2 and i need to know that since i want to add a custom song for the end credits.
The P-Switch music is also in the music.ini I believe, so that should be possible. And I think I made a mistake in my earlier post: It's possible that music.ini is required for changes to the music files, and simply replacing by name does not work.
The end credits are not part of an episode, and I don't believe they're subject to episode-wide adjustments.
There are plans in the future to make the credits editable through some centralized system. For now, the best you can do is to make your own custom credits sequence (just a level where you configure your own credits in message boxes, or via lua) and trigger it with Level.load("creditsLevelName.lvlx"), or by walking on it on the map/in the hub.

vinihuebr
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: gaming skill
Pronouns: he/him

Postby vinihuebr » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:32 pm

Emral wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:51 am
vinihuebr wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:31 pm
Emral wrote:
The P-Switch music is also in the music.ini I believe, so that should be possible. And I think I made a mistake in my earlier post: It's possible that music.ini is required for changes to the music files, and simply replacing by name does not work.
The end credits are not part of an episode, and I don't believe they're subject to episode-wide adjustments.
There are plans in the future to make the credits editable through some centralized system. For now, the best you can do is to make your own custom credits sequence (just a level where you configure your own credits in message boxes, or via lua) and trigger it with Level.load("creditsLevelName.lvlx"), or by walking on it on the map/in the hub.
ohh. i see. Thanks for the help. :D :D

Return to “Help and Support”