MAFAB3 - RESULTS

The third Make A Fun, Awesome Boss contest!
MarioChallengerX2
Bit
Bit
Pronouns: he/him

Re: MAFAB3 - Rules and Discussion

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Fri May 12, 2023 8:40 pm

I speak for most people in the SMBX server. We've all been wanting an extension request.

Reasons why:

1. (personal opinion) There's literally only two people that submitted for the contest and that barely seems enough for judging, wouldn't be special enough.

2, (actual reasons) Motivation has been tough to come by for some contestants. Examples include me, Spencer, Raptarr8.

3. This contest ends around university finals for a lot of people include me, Raptarr8, Gbradley231. And maybe even more that just didn't speak out. It causes problems at the end for when you want to polish up your entry.

4. Cut content and ambitious entries. (Me with some cut content and Phoenix with an ambitious entry)

An extension of 1 or 2 weeks would be a miracle for us to have. That way, we might not cut out a lot of planned content that would be in our entries.

We hope you accept this.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat May 13, 2023 2:28 am

In light of many participants currently going through an exam period, the deadline has been extended by 2 weeks.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon May 22, 2023 4:32 am

About one more week left.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Fri May 26, 2023 9:38 pm

It's the final weekend. Remember to submit in the submission thread!

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Fri May 26, 2023 11:38 pm

hello i would like to sign up and receive keywords

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun May 28, 2023 9:39 pm

8 hours left. I'll be out until shortly before the deadline, so I won't be able to do any re-rolls anymore. Good luck with the final stretch and I'm looking forward to playing all the bosses.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon May 29, 2023 2:12 am

I was debating on submitting my unfinished entry with a disclaimer, but it is currently too buggy even for that. If I was allowed to submit latter with a penalty, I would; but unfortunately, something more sorrowful came up that took up an entire week. If I can cobble SOMETHING together before I fall asleep within the next three hours, I will submit that.

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Postby wyldstrykr » Mon May 29, 2023 5:59 am

dammit. i forgot the time... and its about deadline.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon May 29, 2023 6:04 am

the deadline strikes when i collected all submissions (currently ongoing)

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Postby wyldstrykr » Mon May 29, 2023 6:33 am

didnt make it... i have 1.5 hours to do it but i forgot :(

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon May 29, 2023 7:45 am

📢Judging begins

Thank you for participating! In total, you have submitted 19 frightening, cunning, and sometimes even loving antagonists to take down, across the submission threads on the SMBX Forums and the talkhaus forums. I have given them all a quick look to confirm their validity, and sent them off to the judges to fix their gaze upon.

Speaking of which... I haven't revealed them yet. Maybe I should... do that.
Sturg
A veteran of the MAGLX and MAFAB contests, known for their keen eye and smooth segues into selling you a great deal on new car insurance.
Darkonius Mavakar
The host of the recent SMBX Retro Boss Contest is here to judge another. They've seen what you can do with just layers and events and are interested in just how far you can go.
JellyfishAmidHardships
While not very active in either community, Jelly's experience judging levels and bosses shan't be overlooked. Their critique may offer a different perspective rarely found in our communities.

I am giving the judges up to 2 months to judge all the bosses and deliver to me their judgement. The release of the results, if everything goes well, should occur by the end of July. If something gets in the way, I will make sure to give updates. There is one other matter to discuss for now, though.

Poll: Boss Relay, yay or nay?

A popular community event from the prior contests. To those unfamiliar: A level file with a single boss fight gets passed around to participants of the relay (may differ from contest participants) and the crew do one short phase at a time during a period of a few days, until a spectacular boss is made by the end.
I'm ready to have such an event this time as well, but my time is fairly limited this month. So I have two questions:
Who is interested in participating?
Is there someone who would be able to take over the bulk of the hosting work (organizing the timetable, setting up the level file and lua, making sure it goes to plan)?
Let me know what you think.

📁Level pack
You can download the pack with all submissions here:
Download

Oh, and if you want to try my Metronome Randomizer for yourself, you can find it here.

DRACalgar Law
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: King of the Boss Makers
Pronouns: he/him

Postby DRACalgar Law » Mon May 29, 2023 11:14 am

Emral wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 7:45 am
📢Judging begins

Thank you for participating! In total, you have submitted 19 frightening, cunning, and sometimes even loving antagonists to take down, across the submission threads on the SMBX Forums and the talkhaus forums. I have given them all a quick look to confirm their validity, and sent them off to the judges to fix their gaze upon.

Speaking of which... I haven't revealed them yet. Maybe I should... do that.
Sturg
A veteran of the MAGLX and MAFAB contests, known for their keen eye and smooth segues into selling you a great deal on new car insurance.
Darkonius Mavakar
The host of the recent SMBX Retro Boss Contest is here to judge another. They've seen what you can do with just layers and events and are interested in just how far you can go.
JellyfishAmidHardships
While not very active in either community, Jelly's experience judging levels and bosses shan't be overlooked. Their critique may offer a different perspective rarely found in our communities.

I am giving the judges up to 2 months to judge all the bosses and deliver to me their judgement. The release of the results, if everything goes well, should occur by the end of July. If something gets in the way, I will make sure to give updates. There is one other matter to discuss for now, though.

❓Poll: Boss Relay, yay or nay?

A popular community event from the prior contests. To those unfamiliar: A level file with a single boss fight gets passed around to participants of the relay (may differ from contest participants) and the crew do one short phase at a time during a period of a few days, until a spectacular boss is made by the end.
I'm ready to have such an event this time as well, but my time is fairly limited this month. So I have two questions:
Who is interested in participating?
Is there someone who would be able to take over the bulk of the hosting work (organizing the timetable, setting up the level file and lua, making sure it goes to plan)?
Let me know what you think.

📁Level pack
You can download the pack with all submissions here:
Download

Oh, and if you want to try my Metronome Randomizer for yourself, you can find it here.
Regarding that last part, will it take to code an npc or a boss using adversary.lua (for the relay)?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon May 29, 2023 11:41 am

DRACalgar Law wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:14 am
Regarding that last part, will it take to code an npc or a boss using adversary.lua (for the relay)?
I assume you mean the boss relay.
Last contest's boss relay may be a good reference point:
https://youtu.be/KYkEsYURlV8?t=100

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:46 am

How's the progress of Mafab3's judging going? Only a bit curious because I haven't seen many people talk about the contest.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:53 pm

Ness-Wednesday wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:46 am
How's the progress of Mafab3's judging going? Only a bit curious because I haven't seen many people talk about the contest.
Approaching the end. If all goes well, the LP should start within the next couple of weeks.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:43 pm

Hey all!
The LP is beginning. Reviews will be revealed as part of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awrYl5 ... jbNFgV3ytc
Check the thread on the talkhaus for medals and reviews.
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p481140

I'll move the medals over in a dedicated results thread after the LP concludes.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Re: MAFAB3 - RESULTS

Postby Emral » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:37 pm

And with that, all reviews have been revealed! If you've been watching the LP, thanks for sticking around. If not, here is a link to the playlist. Give it a watch, if you want.

If you would like to play the episode yourself:
DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE

And here is a link to the keyword generator, if you want to give it a go yourself.

For a list of all the reviews, go here. Individual judge spreadsheets are at the bottom.

So without further ado... congratulations to Team Scope Creep - Mushashi for getting 1st. I was very surprised to see no favourite medals here as well, but Most Fun, Most Awesome and 0.6 points lead speak for itself.
Thanks to everyone for participating! Playing and viewing all your creations has been a joy, as always. The next contest will be the Chocolate Contest, starting in roughly a month. Get your level design bones ready.
If you have any feedback, you know where to go.

And here are all the medals!
Spoiler: show

wyldstrykr
Bit
Bit

Postby wyldstrykr » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:05 am

wow... i got out of last place.... at the cost of raocow not enjoying it and comment section along the way.
also shouldnt i get a penalty because i took advantage of the fact that raocow is gonna lp this?

ty for contest

PS
Spoiler: show
maybe i should ask someone to redraw this while i do laundy

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:15 am

wyldstrykr wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:05 am
also shouldnt i get a penalty because i took advantage of the fact that raocow is gonna lp this?
I like to assume the best in contestants, so I didn't consider that someone would go out of their way to willingly break a rule. If you want you can have a penalty next contest for this.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:31 am

This was really fun!
and also congrats to every participant!

I am really happy to have participated in this contest and I hope we get more MAFABs/boss contests in the future.

Return to “MAFAB3”