Super Mario All-Stars++ (Demo 3 out NOW! Open Sourced Work in Progress)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit
Pronouns: they/them

Super Mario All-Stars++ (Demo 3 out NOW! Open Sourced Work in Progress)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:33 pm

Old thread: show
Note: This is a remake thread from the original forum post. To see the original forum post (The original old link is dead btw), click here.

GBATemp Thread

Demo 3 out now! Download it here.
(Please note that any bugs, glitches, unfinished characters, unfinished levels, and world map tile renderer issues will be intact in this Demo. Feel free to report any bugs on the GitHub, or here on this forum if you see any errors)

To download the latest episode builds, you’ll need to use the SMASUpdater. Download it here (Follow the instructions on the README.txt on how to install). This is recommended to download the latest episode builds!

Check out the Discord server! (Due to certain circumstances, the Discord server will be unavailable at this time.)

Open Source Repository

Other downloads:
All demos + hotfixes

Super Mario All-Stars++ is an WIP episode where you play 5 original Super Mario Bros. Games (1, 2, 3, Lost Levels, and World), PLUS one brand new game AND a side quest collect-a-thon on it's brand new Hub!

Don't forget that this episode will also have everyone here, in every style possible! In other words, Everyone is Here.

- Play Super Mario Bros. 1-3, The Lost Levels, Super Mario World, and a new game (Super Mario Bros. Spencer)!

- Play as a ton of new characters, from any Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Link, Wario, Bowser, and Yoshi variant to any new/overrated/underrated character that was thought of! (Eric Cartman, Sonic the Hedgehog, Takeshi, Larry the Cucumber, SpongeBob, Ness, Lucas, Stewie Griffin, the Impostor, Joe Biden, Shrek, and more planned characters in future updates!)

- Go on a side quest as part of the Hub to complete 10 additional levels for fun!

- In future updates, free DLC levels will be playable, made by YOU (More info coming after the first full release)!

- As holidays and seasons change, the creatures in the Hub will celebrate and acknowledge it as well!

- More surprises will be along the way... there's probably gonna be more than this!

Latest Updates

Trailer is available below, along with some dev footage:

Official Opening Trailer:

More SMB3 levels done! (12-1-2022):

Spoiler: show

Cubic Interpolation Sound support (9-16-2022):

SMB3 5-Tower, More Hotel Mario (9-9-2022):

Fun with the New Character Changer (10-18-2022):

Each game lets you collect stars every time you complete a level completely. When you complete enough stars on Super Mario All-Stars++, you'll unlock a special surprise...!

Games included:

Super Mario Bros. 1 (100% complete, is playable from start to finish): Mario and Peach take a stroll when Bowser kidnaps Peach! Mario must follow Bowser as he sends his henchmen over in this overrated amazing adventure yet to come!

Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (100% complete, is playable from start to finish): Want a challenge for you, super players? Brace yourself as you play through the toughest Mario game ever made! This game will be optional to collect stars in, but if you DO collect all the stars in this game, plus the Side Quest levels, you'll unlock the secret ending to the True Ending!

Super Mario Bros. 2 (92% complete, is playable from start to finish, but additional code and boss will have to be worked on eventually): When Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad gaze in awe as the Subcons arrive in the Mushroom Kingdom, the Subcons are actually there to warn the four of the impending doom! As Wart kidnaps' the Subcons and goes inside the book of Subcon, the four travel inside to rescue the Subcons and save their world!

Super Mario Bros. 3 (75% complete, up to World 7-Fortress 1 unfinished): As Mario tries to cure each Kings spell throughout the kingdoms, a familiar foe returns as Peach goes missing during Mario's journey to see why the Kings were transformed!

Super Mario World (9% complete, up to Vanilla Dome 2 unfinished, Donut Secret 2 not made yet): Bowser and the Koopalings steal Peach and all the Yoshi eggs and try to thwart Dinosaur Island! You must stop Bowser at once!

Super Mario Bros. Spencer (9% complete, up to World 2-Tower, 2-4 to 3-1 is unfinished): As Peach and the Toads finds an unconscious human lying in the grassy Mushroom Kingdom, the human (Spencer) wakes up and urges the friendly folk to get them home! But during that journey, a brand new enemy comes in to not only conquer the Mushroom Kingdom, but to destroy his past foe he once clashed with...!

Me and Larry City (HUB, Side Quest is 9% complete): The HUB, located at Mars (Also home to the True Ending)! As you collect stars each level, you'll find something new there every time you visit (Within a specific amount of stars, and every holiday/special occasion)! Not only it's a HUB, it also has a side quest for collecting some stars outside of the games of the episode! The Side Quest is optional to collect stars for the True Ending though (But seriously, the levels will be good).

DLC Additional Content (Coming in the next update after the full release): Made by YOU, for everyone to play! I pick the best levels made for the episode for each update, and the 3 winners get their level in the new update! How can you submit? More information coming after the full v1.0.0.0 release!

Screenshots (Updated on 2/22/2022):

When will this be completely released?

For the time being, this does not have an estimated release date, nor does have one at all. This game will be completed whenever it does get completed.

If you want to join/contribute to this project (And submit levels for the DLC world), sign ups are not open yet.

I'm still thinking if I should open sign ups for the project yet or not. Though I want creative control and be the director of some sorts.

If you do want to give me pointers for what I need to change/add to the episode itself, though, contact me here, though Discord at "Spencer Everly#1997" (Without quotes), or use the bug tracker on the episode's GitHub page.

Q&A

What will this be compatible with?

Until we announce anything further, Demos 1-3 will be compatible with SMBX2 Beta 4 (The latest version as of 1/11/2023), since there will be many LunaLua codes that change behaviors of the game throughout (When production started originally in 2012, it was compatible with the original SMBX 1.3).

There will also be an TheXTech version as well (Which will not only just be for Windows but also for other platforms such as Mac, Linux, Wii, 3DS, Switch, etc, and will have additional stuff not found in the SMBX2 version). More information coming soon.

There was going to be another version, such as a "GameMaker Studio 2" version. That's not gonna happen though, due to how the engine can't backport SMBX-related stuff easily.

Do I need any external files other than the episode?

Nope, not at the moment. Hopefully this'll be an episode-only project for the most part. There’s also another project called the LunaLua “SEE Mod” which brings extra compatibility, but more info will come at a later date.

Will everything be identical to the original games from the original consoles?

Hopefully. That's the goal for this project. If things are NOT identical, then sorry for that... it would be due to SMBX's engine and how it is coded.

Do you have a progress report on what's done so far?

Check the GitHub for any additions, but for future additions check the development log above.

Something on the SMASUpdater says something is conflicting!

This happens every now and then when major changes happen. To solve this, use the SMASUpdater settings and refresh SMAS++ (Then move back saves if you haven't done that yet).

I can’t get new updates after I haven’t updated in so long!

This happens when you aren’t actively updating the episode. To solve this, do the same thing like on the last question, except use option 2 (Delete SMAS++ for redownloading).

My question wasn't answered.

Contact me here or on Discord at "Spencer Everly#1997" (Without quotes).

Have fun!

Last edited by SpencerlyEverly on Sun May 21, 2023 10:30 am, edited 44 times in total.

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario All-Stars++ (11/12 BIRTHDAY DEMO RELEASED!)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:06 am

Check out the demo, released yesterday!

TheGameyFireBro105
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: Good at remakes
Pronouns: he/him

Postby TheGameyFireBro105 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:31 am

Where'd you get that YI Mario Costume? I'd love to use it.

DisasterMaster
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby DisasterMaster » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Quite an ambitious project to be sure.

I did notice that many of the sizables across multiple games need to be extended one block length below ground to prevent looking odd.
The Bloopers in the Lost Levels athletic levels are just falling off the screen. You should replace them with Murphmario's version or attach them to a tiny water layer while also adjusting there collision/stomp-death effect.
Speaking off LL, the Wind graphic is missing.
In 1-3 of SMB2, the Sparks are acting strange in the castle. They just hover and very slowly descend.

Overall, a good start.

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario All-Stars++ (Hotfix for Demo 1, read for more info)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:27 pm

An hotfix for Demo 1 has been released. It should fix some freezing issues when the camera pans using warps.

PLEASE DOWNLOAD to fix this issue!

Demo 2 will not come just yet. Demo 2 will have some more SMBLL levels, with SMB3 being planned to have more levels, up to World 3. Don’t expect it to come out atm, because I want to make Demo 2 a big bang when it gets announced.

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario All-Stars++ (NOW OFFICIALLY OPEN SOURCE)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:32 pm

And now, the big reveal!

I want YOU to see if you like the episode, and I want YOU to help me on it!

The episode is now OPEN SOURCE! It's now being updated in real time, thanks to some mklink skills I've done to commit the project. If anyone wants to test the episode, now is the time!

Use the official GitHub for bug tracking and reporting: https://github.com/SpencerEverly/smasplusplus

Have fun folks! And no, this episode is not complete. That's why you are the ones to help out!

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario All-Stars++ (Demo 2 out NOW! Plus, OPEN SOURCE)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:57 pm

DEMO 2 is out! Check it out, right now!

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:26 am

3 gigabytes? That's a lot.

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:54 pm

DerEric wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:26 am
3 gigabytes? That's a lot.
Quite right. There's a system that changes the stage music based off the character you choose, which is why it's this big.

JamesR624
Spiny
Spiny

Postby JamesR624 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:15 pm

This looks amazing!

I do not want to crowd the thread with different questions so I will just pose an overall question. There are a few things in here that I would love to use, however, when searching for the original scripts on here, I could not find them anywhere. Namely the smooth fading when on the overworld map (warptransition.lua I've only got working within levels. Not the map) and the separate pause menu to override the default one. I was just wondering how you got smooth transitions for the level loading from and to the map? I did see "mapTransition.lua" and tried to find the post of the original script yours is based on, for some help but with no luck.

TL;DR How did you get smooth fading/transitions to work within .wld files since warptransition.lua only works within .lvl files?

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:22 pm

JamesR624 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:15 pm
This looks amazing!

I do not want to crowd the thread with different questions so I will just pose an overall question. There are a few things in here that I would love to use, however, when searching for the original scripts on here, I could not find them anywhere. Namely the smooth fading when on the overworld map (warptransition.lua I've only got working within levels. Not the map) and the separate pause menu to override the default one. I was just wondering how you got smooth transitions for the level loading from and to the map? I did see "mapTransition.lua" and tried to find the post of the original script yours is based on, for some help but with no luck.

TL;DR How did you get smooth fading/transitions to work within .wld files since warptransition.lua only works within .lvl files?
That was made from map.lua, not from that code. Albeit that was old code I forgot about.

If you want to put in a map transition to your episode, DM me on Discord at Spencer Everly#1997 and I can show you some code snippets that you can add to map.lua. Don't forget to credit me though ;)

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario All-Stars++ (Open Source)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:11 am

Forum thread updated. I’m giving the SMASUpdater more of a spotlight, so download the 7zip on the link in the first post, and follow the instructions on the README below the page. If there are any problems, consult the Q&A. Any other questions, just ask me on Discord or here.

Stay safe, folks!

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario All-Stars++ (Open Sourced Work in Progress)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:12 am

I have added a new Discord server link for the project into the thread. If you wanna join the Discord, head over to https://discord.gg/hx37A826TM to join in and meet some people and stuff!

That's basically all, except I do have news for Demo 3: SMB3 level work is on hiatus for now, since I feel like I need to take a break for a while outside of several things for the project code-wise. Whenever I get certain things done, and levels from SMB3 up to World 3 done (And some more progress on SMW), then I may consider a release.

But for now, there's some more work that needs to be done for a save migration thing in the future demo, where players can still continue their old Demo 1/2 saves, on Demo 3! For more info on why this is happening, that will come later.

Bye for now everyone!

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:33 pm

Hi folks! Just edited the thread after it wasn't updated for so long.

Just also wanted to give a quick reminder that this project isn't dead! I'm still working on it as we speak, I just never discuss stuff about it outside of Discord. Demo 3 still isn't coming out just yet btw. I still got some stuff left to do, but here's a rundown of what I plan to finish before it's release:

- Characters/costumes up to Link
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (Level wise, partially for certain things such as Warp Whistles)

Some stuff though won't be finished yet:

- Super Mario World (Up to Vanilla Dome 1 was completed so far)
- Super Mario Bros. Spencer (Up to World 2-Castle should be done by the release of Demo 3)
- Everything else, from all characters to bugs that may happen

So until then, thanks for viewing this thread, and hopefully Demo 3 releases whenever I'm ready to release it!

Ericklost
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Ericklost » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:04 pm

Wow this is going to have more characthers than any SMBX episode.
I need to play this when it's finished.

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Re: Super Mario All-Stars++ (Demo 3 out NOW! Open Sourced Work in Progress)

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 pm

Demo 3 is out NOW! Check the forum post for the download link.

Knitted_Egg
Bit
Bit
Flair: i am better obviously

Postby Knitted_Egg » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:09 pm

The main menu doesn't work. It worked yesterday and today so what happened?

SpencerlyEverly
Bit
Bit

Postby SpencerlyEverly » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 pm

Knitted_Egg wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:09 pm
The main menu doesn't work. It worked yesterday and today so what happened?
You probably downloaded a commit where something has error'd before I fixed it later on. Have you downloaded the latest commit and checked to see if it worked again?

Dynam0
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Dynam0 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:04 pm

This is an interesting project. Have you thought about remaking Super Mario Land 1 and 2 as well, since the NPCs from that are now fully available in Lua?

Knitted_Egg
Bit
Bit
Flair: i am better obviously

Postby Knitted_Egg » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:39 pm

Sorry for bumping but the download link is dead

Return to “Projects”