xmapgui - no-lua overworld enhancements

Share guides you have written for SMBX, and related tools here.
deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

xmapgui - no-lua overworld enhancements

Postby deice » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:16 pm

before we begin:
  • this software requires the .net 5.0 desktop runtime and gtksharp 2.12 (click "download gtk#") in order to work.
  • if the program opens and the process quickly ends afterwards without any window appearing, there's a chance that there's an issue with the latter of those two. if you're on windows, adding the gtksharp installation directory to your PATH and restarting your PC, as well as using windows 7 compatibility mode might help.
  • if that too doesn't help, you can try compiling from the source code using visual studio.
  • if you find a bug with the program itself, it's best to report it here. i will make an attempt to fix it if/when i am able to.

with that out of the way, allow me to present:
xmapgui
Spoiler: show
( tutorial | download | test episode - includes a save file for comparison )

in short, this is a program that generates xmap scripts. of course, xmap is needed for these scripts to actually function. open a wld file of your choice and when you save your changes, it will generate a script in your episode directory. inside your "map.lua" file, type

Code: Select all

require("xgui")
at the top and that's it. everything else can be handled within the graphical interface itself.

more details as well as a tutorial that covers all the features can be found under the "tutorial" link above. questions and concerns belong primarily in this thread.

one more thing i must add is that this doesn't let you take advantage of absolutely everything xmap has to offer. this is strictly for people who know next to no lua but still aren't satisfied with the vanilla overworld.
hope you enjoy.
Last edited by deice on Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarioChallengerX2
Bit
Bit
Pronouns: he/him

Re: xmapgui - no-lua overworld enhancements

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:18 pm

Deice, question. What about future versions of Net?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: xmapgui - no-lua overworld enhancements

Postby deice » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:02 am

MarioChallengerX2 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:18 pm
Deice, question. What about future versions of Net?
i don't think i configured rollforward so it probably won't work on later .net runtimes? but there's nothing stopping you from installing .net 5.0 alongside another one that you already have, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

Return to “Guides”