Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: They/She

Re: Unpopular game opinions

Postby zxcv » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:31 am

Dragon0307 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 pm
Here's my most definitely popular and mainstream opinions:

7. Free / Open Source games should not have to support low-end PCs just because the nerds want to run Linux on their toasters.
That's true, but a bit of consideration for poor people is nice. But it's fine if that's too much for the scope of the project.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Splatoon 3: Side Order enthusiast
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:52 pm

Heard of it but never played it

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby ShadowXeldron » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:01 am

Bumping this topic because I have some new video game hot takes:

1. PAL mode (runs at 50FPS in a 5:4 aspect ratio) for retro games isn't actually that bad.
2. Mega Man 8 is better than Mega Man 2
3. Keyboards are way better than controllers for 2D games
4. Handheld games are best experienced on real hardware
5. Pokemon GO ruined the entire franchise for me - and this is coming from someone who treats the game like a guilty pleasure.
6. I'm not a fan of 8-bit games in general. They're just too simple for my tastes.
7. Refresh rates higher than 120FPS aren't really necessary (note that I have a 165Hz monitor)
8. This is more of a general thing, but 4K is really unnecessary and 1080p is good enough
9. Emulators aren't actually that difficult to set up
10. I think that removing lives from Sonic Origins fundamentally broke the games by rendering rings and the score useless. On a related note, I perfer retro rereleases to be as close to the original as possible - warts and all - instead of trying to modernise them.
11. Sonic CD is better than Sonic 2
12. I wouldn't mind if Minecraft stopped recieving updates. They should do an equivalent to Terraria's 1.4 update
13. The new autofire feature in Terraria removes one of the reasons to locate rarer equipment (such as the katana) so I dislike using it. Thankfully, it's optional so I don't have to engage with it.
14. HMs are actually a good idea in Pokemon.
15. PC gaming better for indie games than it is AAA ones.

Addressing one of my previous takes, Frontiers made Super Sonic cool again so I wouldn't mind seeing more of him.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Splatoon 3: Side Order enthusiast
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:28 pm

These are all great points!

In particular, I find it interesting that you prefer physical handheld consoles over using an emulator, since I typically prefer the convenience that emulators offer (such as utilizing save states, being able to play games anywhere, and the ability to take screenshots). However, I recently bought a DS Lite and started playing some of the games that I have on DeSmuME on it (SM64DS, NSMB, Spore Hero Arena), and I believe that the games just feel much better being played on the DS Lite with the D-pad and buttons as opposed to being controlled on a laptop with a keyboard. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this topic.

I hadn't really considered how removing lives would affect the rings in the game - I can see how it would make scoring points a lot less important, since there's no longer the same risk attached to dying in the game.
And I agree that it's important to stay true to the original versions of games when rereleasing them, since that's usually what people are nostalgic for. However, I also think that sometimes it can be good to make small adjustments to the game to make it more approachable for new players (such as making small changes to the controls).

As for your points about Pokemon, I agree with all of them! I think that the series has started to stray too far from some of its original core elements, such as the importance of type advantages and Exp. share, and it's nice to see that someone else has also noticed this.

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby ShadowXeldron » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:50 pm

krakin wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:28 pm
These are all great points!
Thanks!
In particular, I find it interesting that you prefer physical handheld consoles over using an emulator, since I typically prefer the convenience that emulators offer (such as utilizing save states, being able to play games anywhere, and the ability to take screenshots). However, I recently bought a DS Lite and started playing some of the games that I have on DeSmuME on it (SM64DS, NSMB, Spore Hero Arena), and I believe that the games just feel much better being played on the DS Lite with the D-pad and buttons as opposed to being controlled on a laptop with a keyboard. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this topic.
Since handheld games are designed around the very specific layout and screen size, they often look strange when blown up to a large screen. The only handheld system I prefer to play on an emulator is the GBA; moreso because the screen is that bad.

The DS (and to a lesser extent, the 3DS) is definitely a system that really needs to be experienced on real hardware, since emulators have to put the screens in different places and the touchscreens are a pain to use. Since the R button on my DSi XL is busted and my 3DS is broken (I've got an o2DS lying around, but I can't stand it), I'm stuck having to dump the ROMs of games that require it to use in Citra and melonDS.

I hadn't really considered how removing lives would affect the rings in the game - I can see how it would make scoring points a lot less important, since there's no longer the same risk attached to dying in the game.
And I agree that it's important to stay true to the original versions of games when rereleasing them, since that's usually what people are nostalgic for. However, I also think that sometimes it can be good to make small adjustments to the game to make it more approachable for new players (such as making small changes to the controls).
That's... actually quite a good point. I'll admit that I can't live without the drop dash after playing Sonic 3 AIR. I'd much prefer if the adjustments are optional instead of forced though.
As for your points about Pokemon, I agree with all of them! I think that the series has started to stray too far from some of its original core elements, such as the importance of type advantages and Exp. share, and it's nice to see that someone else has also noticed this.
I've been playing the older games recently (mostly the DS games, but I've also got FireRed on my GBA). The HMs, for whatever reason, feel more like an informed choice you have to make in order to decide whether or not you're willing to sacrifice a moveslot on that particular Pokemon until at least midgame (which is when you'll usually find the move deleter). They also make me feel a bit more attached to my Pokemon as well.

As for the EXP Share, I can take it or leave it. I'm probably going to start playing with it off where possible however. Type advantages don't feel to unimportant, but a lot of Pokemon have enough coverage options now that there isn't much of a reason to cover for their weaknesses with other team members outside of PvP.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:00 am

I played my former favourite pokemon gen (5) last year and it's actually so unbelievably unplayable after all the QoL they added in Gen 6 onwards. Individual mon EXP share leads to a plethora of grinding (neither fun nor a contributor to difficulty, just a waste of time), grid-based movement is clunky, HMs are a nuisance that restricts player expression, and going back further into the past to gens 1-4 re-introduces the dilemma of not wanting to waste the very limited TMs you are given.
If I'm seeking a challenge, I can just play with level caps, no items in battle, and set battle mode. The games have a lot of ways for hardcore players to create their own difficulty.

I think the modern games, SV in particular, are closer to the series core values than ever. The feeling of going out on an adventure and catching strange monsters is so wonderfully realized in the open world, that I feel like the series has always waited for the technical barrier to the open world to break down. SV have since dethroned BW/B2W2 as my favourites in the series.

Return to “Video Games”