Help with music.ini, sound.ini, sound npcs.

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
MarioChallengerX2
Bit
Bit
Pronouns: he/him

Help with music.ini, sound.ini, sound npcs.

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:43 am

#1. How do I exactly use music.ini? The reason why I need to use it for this thing I'm making is because...

It's an entry in Darkonius Mavakar's Retro Boss Contest, where we can't use any lua or npc packs for this. However, I need in it my case because, I'm having more tracks playing in my boss and it's not like different phases where I switch to a section, it's like, in Super Mario 3D World, like the Hisstocrat Boss Fight, where there is an intro to it before heading to the arena, see? And that's why I need two musics in a section. So, my simple question about music.ini is this:

a. Can music.ini be in the level folder? Does it have to be in the same folder where the level is in?(i.e) episode folder?)

b. [level-music-1]
name="theworldrevolving"
file="Boom the Circus Revolver_spc/theworldrevolving.spc"

This is what I have but it's not working atm. Music.ini is my level folder btw and same as with the music file. What is wrong here?

c. I've tried this before but I want to know for sure.. Do I have to refresh PGE for the changes in music.ini to take effect?

d. I should mention that the folder that my files are in are outside of the main SMBX place. Like, it's not in the worlds folder, Does that cause any problems?

#2. Now, the sounds npcs. How do they actually work and what do those options actually mean? First, I want to ask if...can they play custom sounds using filepaths? Or is it only ID? It's not clear whether if custom filepaths are true or not.

#3. Sounds.ini. Does it work the same as music.ini? Also, do mp3s work?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Help with music.ini, sound.ini, sound npcs.

Postby Emral » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:38 pm

1. Here are screenshots of my music.ini setup which works.
Spoiler: show
The level file is in the test folder.

All options in extra settings have tooltips if you hover over them. Let me know if it's still not clear what each option does after reading them.

3. sounds.ini does work the same, but is entirely deprecated, as putting, say, lava.mp3 in your level folder will replace the podoboo lava sound with that new sound automatically.

MarioChallengerX2
Bit
Bit
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Help with music.ini, sound.ini, sound npcs.

Postby MarioChallengerX2 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:34 am

Emral wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:38 pm
1. Here are screenshots of my music.ini setup which works.
Spoiler: show
The level file is in the test folder.

All options in extra settings have tooltips if you hover over them. Let me know if it's still not clear what each option does after reading them.

3. sounds.ini does work the same, but is entirely deprecated, as putting, say, lava.mp3 in your level folder will replace the podoboo lava sound with that new sound automatically.
1. Okay, I see what you did. I'll try that right now. Tried it now, still doesn't work! I noticed in the codehaus server that you pointed it out as a bug in the dev channel tho so I'll have to find another way. I'll either do the rapid section switch or just make blank music play.

2. Ah, right! But I've come across another problem that I should address. Apparently, the sound effect keeps playing even while you're paused. I'm sure there's a way to fix that in lua, but I might not need it now or later.

3. Ah, that's good to hear. If it's like that then, I'll simply do that at the end of the level because I won't know what sound effects are free to use for events.

Return to “Help and Support”