Luigi's Lost Memories

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster
Pronouns: he/him

Luigi's Lost Memories

Postby Chipss » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:58 pm

This episode is intended as a way for player's to experience all of the completed content created for the now cancelled "Luigi's Fight for the Lost Island" (Original project thread here). It contains 13 fully complete levels, 4 partially complete levels, 9 scrapped (but still complete) levels, and the world map (which now serves no purpose but is kept as a method of preservation).

All of this content is wrapped up into a new progression system and story that ties in closely with the plot of the original episode. This includes a brand new hub with sections locked off by both Purple Star collectibles and regular coins, new characters and dialogue, an intro sequence, 15 achievements, 5 secret exits to find, 5 extra challenges to complete, viewable concept art, a place to listen to unused music tracks, and a completely new final level accessed after completing all other levels.

View the release trailer here
Spoiler: show
Development Team
Project Lead
- Chipss
Artists
- Achy
- Mr. Greenman
- Vito
- PsychLantern (Digo)
- galaxy
- FurballArts
- leitakcoc
- Chipss
Music
- galaxy
- Punji
- leitakcoc
- JerryCoxalot
Scripting
- MrDoubleA
- Marioman2007
- Vito
- IAmPlayer
- Chipss
Level Design
- Chipss
- Achy
Testing
- Launchstar
- tg online
- galaxy
- Vito
- leitakcoc

(This credits list only includes invidivuals who made content specifically for this project. All other credits can be found in !credits.txt in the episode folder.)
Download Here! (Made for SMBX2 Beta 5.2)
Full Episode Download (v1.1.1)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jlpWu7 ... sp=sharing

Patch 1.1.1 has been released! This update fixes an issue that arose when playing through the game again on a second save file.
View the full changelog here:
Patch 1.01
LEVEL DESIGN

- Removed unfair Piranha Plant in Spring Showers
- Added an extra checkpoint in Tangled Temple
- Prevented a softlock towards the end of Paddlewheel Peril
- Instead of instantly appearing, the poison water now rises up from the bottom in Paddlewheel Peril

BUG FIXES

- Blue springhatters can no longer be killed with the key
- If keys are accidentally destroyed/lost, they will now respawn at their original location
- Purple Stars now save if you restart a memory at the summary screen
- Purple Stars and 1-UP Mushrooms now properly award coins upon collection

GENERAL CHANGES

- Fixed typo in spelling of 'Pine Propultion' (should be Propulsion)
- All menus can now be immediately closed with the pause button
- Fixed a typo in the "Know any secrets?" dialogue with Tangeroomba
- Keyhole status now shows in the dialogue with Tangeroomba
Patch 1.02
LEVEL DESIGN

- Polished level design in Super Sticky Swamp, making some things a bit more clear and fair
- Added an extra checkpoint in Disastrous Deeps and tweaked the design slightly
- Fixed a potential softlock in the final level involving the Monty Mole spawner
- Prevented a softlock in the vertical section of Paddlewheel Peril
- Challenge #2 is now slightly easier to pull off

BUG FIXES

- Exit Memory option in pause menu now functions correctly
- Fixed an issue where Challenge #2 would display as completed even though it wasn't

GENERAL CHANGES

- Added additional visual indicators to Purple-Footed Scuttlebugs and Orange Springhatters for people who are colorblind
- Every single level with Purple Stars inside of fake walls now has slight darkness for consistency
- The Bloombas now have exclamation marks above their head when they have something new to say
Patch 1.03
BUG FIXES

- Fixed a new issue that made it impossible to enter the portal
Patch 1.04
LEVEL DESIGN

- Challenge #2 nerfed again based on player feedback
- Made Challenge #1 easier to pull of by removing some Eeries and Diagonal Boos

BUG FIXES

- Fixed incorrect start point in Paddlewheel Peril
- Fixed an issue where tree branches would glow in Clear Pipe Prarie
- Fixed an issue in Tangeroomba's dialogue where keyhole text would display on the wrong line

GENERAL CHANGES

- Challenge #5 now requires less than 30 jumps instead of 25
- Added an option to return to the checkpoint from the Restart Memory menu
Patch 1.05
GENERAL CHANGES

- A text popup now appears in the Realm of Recollection after you've found a keyhole
Patch 1.06
LEVEL DESIGN

- Added a 30 Coin in Clear Pipe Prarie as a reward for exploration
- Modified a Jumping Chuck setup involving clear pipes to be more fair in Clear Pipe Prarie
- In Bone Dry Bridge, the right cliff now extends slightly after collecting Purple Star 1
- Added a second checkpoint in Bone Dry Bridge
- Purple Star 2 in Lightweight Library is now in a new location
- Added a second checkpoint in Lightweight Library

BUG FIXES

- Modified some block placement in Lightweight Library in an effort to prevent a glitch where
the player could get stuck in place after exiting Boo form.
Patch 1.07
LEVEL DESIGN

- Fixed a small tiling error in Clear Pipe Prairie
- Fixed a small tiling error in Tangled Temple
- Fixed a small tiling error in The Memory Amalgamation

BUG FIXES

- Fixed an issue in Paddlewheel Peril where a coin falling into the poison water would fail the challenge
- Fixed an issue in Bone-Dry-Bridge where a portion of cacti would glow
- Fixed a spawning issue with the barrels in Toxic Tumble

GENERAL CHANGES

- The polar bears in The Conceptuary are no longer incorrectly called panda bears
- Fixed a misspelling of 'Prairie' in the Tangeroomba dialogue
- Fixed a misspelling of 'Prairie' on the achievements page in the launcher
Patch 1.08
BUG FIXES

- Fixed an issue where Maroonba would have 2 new messages at once, making one of them inaccessible
- Fixed an issue where achieving 100% in the launcher was impossible
Patch 1.09
LEVEL DESIGN

- Slightly modified some design in the Memory Amalgamation to be more fair

BUG FIXES

- Fixed an issue in Tangled Tower where a moving platform would despawn after death
Patch 1.1 (Beta 5 Compatibility!)
Overview/Biggest Changes

- 2 Fragmented Memories have been extended, finally giving them true gimmicks!
- The Memory Amalgamation has been updated, utilizing the new gimmicks!
- Difficulty balancing across the entire episode!
- Fixing bugs that have embarrassingly been present since launch!
- Utilization of new Beta 5 features!
- More overall polish!

LEVEL DESIGN

- The Bullet Bill Blasters now disappear after defeating the boss in Secret Stronghold
- Fixed a tiling error in Smoldering Steppe
- Fixed a tiling error in Spring Showers
- Modified several setups in The Memory Amalgamation to be more fair and less janky
- Modified the final setup of Clear Pipe Prarie to fix an issue that arose with Beta 5
- Made some additions/changes to setups in The Memory Amalgamation to feature all new mechanics/enemies
that were introduced in the extended Fragmented Memories
- Fixed some wonky spike collision in Monty Mole Mines
- It is now impossible to cheese the introductory setup of Monty Mole Mines
- Made the ending of Bone Dry Bridge slightly easier
- Made the interval between Rammerheads in the final section of Disastrous Deeps more lenient
- Made the final setup of Lightweight Library more lenient
- Slightly raised a pipe in Piranha Plant Pinch

BUG FIXES

- Fixed an issue where the audio could desync from the cutscene at the end of Tangled Temple and
High Watt Warehouse when defocusing the window
- Reconverted some faulty OGG files that weren't compatible with Beta 5
- Fixed a new Beta 5 issue where NPCs registered to Clear Pipes no longer register correctly
- Fixed an issue where the player would remain frozen from an Ice Ball even after respawning
- Fixed an issue where fireballs would prematurely spawn in Toxic Tumble
- Fixed a new Beta 5 issue where red springs stopped working correctly
- Small Monty Moles now only produce light after they have come out from underground
- Fixed an issue where the new message icon would not display for one of Maroonba's messages
- Fixed an issue in The Memory Amalgamation where the Heave-Ho wouldn't actually launch the player
- Fixed an issue where taking damage while crouching/sliding would cause you to teleport upwards
- Fixed an inaccurate level name on the Map of Memories
- Fixed an issue where taking damage while holding the down button would cause the player to teleport upwards
- Removed the caustics in Disastrous Deeps as it did not interact well with some tiles

GENERAL CHANGES

- The Fragmented Memories "Buccaneer Bay" and "Polar Palace" have been slightly extended!
- The ordering of Fragmented Memories in the Past Portal has been slightly modified to reflect the
new difficulties
- Updated the descriptions of the two modified Fragmented Memories to better fit their new additions
- The player no longer loses coins upon death in Cutting Edge Canopy
- Added a window title and icon for the episode
- Updated a name in the Audiblette and credits
- Finding the secret of The Realm of Recollection now counts as 1% of overall completion in the launcher (originally 0%)
- The description passage in the launcher now displays the correct number of incomplete levels
- The launcher now mentions that the episode was made with SMBX2 (As clarification in standalone launcher distributions)
Patch 1.1.1
BUG FIXES

- Fixed an issue where challenges would not complete correctly when playing through the game a
second time on a separate save file

GENERAL CHANGES

- Text now briefly displays in the Realm of Recollection after completing a challenge
Download the patch ONLY here. (For merging with an older version)
This download includes the contents of all previous patches, meaning you can update from ANY prior version!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DJuWj9 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Chipss on Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:15 pm, edited 28 times in total.

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: Luigi's Lost Memories

Postby Alexx0612 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:06 pm

And why did you abandon the development of Luigi Fight for the Lost Island at the beginning of 2021?

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:44 pm

Alexx0612 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:06 pm
And why did you abandon the development of Luigi Fight for the Lost Island at the beginning of 2021?
My focus shifted entirely to YouTube videos, which didn't leave me any time to continue working on the project.

AppleTheTomato
Bit
Bit
Flair: I am a Tomato named Apple.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AppleTheTomato » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:43 pm

Been playing through this, and I'm loving the simple, yet super fun levels. The way you guys took an idea and expanded on it as much as possible was great. Couple things I caught tho:
If you don't kill this plant, he will hurt you when you go through this pipe and then go back through it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this guy is basically saying "There's some other Bloomba around from what I've heard, but I spawned WAY later, so IDK much. If that's the case, why does he say "before" instead of "after" or something?

Edit: I forgot this, but despite the stars displaying they give you 4 or 5 coins (can't remember), they don't.

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:00 am

AppleTheTomato wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:43 pm
Been playing through this, and I'm loving the simple, yet super fun levels. The way you guys took an idea and expanded on it as much as possible was great. Couple things I caught tho:
If you don't kill this plant, he will hurt you when you go through this pipe and then go back through it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this guy is basically saying "There's some other Bloomba around from what I've heard, but I spawned WAY later, so IDK much. If that's the case, why does he say "before" instead of "after" or something?

Edit: I forgot this, but despite the stars displaying they give you 4 or 5 coins (can't remember), they don't.
Thanks for catching these! Other people have discovered stuff too. Will be releasing a patch sometime soon!

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Alexx0612 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 am

I expected anything from the haunted level, but not kaizoXD

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:57 pm

Hello everyone! Got a tiny survey for those of you who have played this to completion.

Did you enjoy the final level?
Did you enjoy what the final level unlocks?
Do you think it was worth it?

I've got a lot of words to say, but It'll take me a while to write them, and for now I'd just like to see if my opinion matches with the rest of the community.

S_Koopa0
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: The S stands for Springboard

Postby S_Koopa0 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 am

The levels are really well made, and it's been fun to play through them and find all the stars and secret exits. Unfortunately, the final level has an issue that makes trying to complete it really annoying:
Sometimes the mole generator in this part of the level seems to just spawn a bunch of moles at random, preventing them from using the springboards.
Also, for some reason, trying to exit a level from the pause menu doesn't do anything. Aside from these issues, great job!

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:00 am

S_Koopa0 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:29 am
The levels are really well made, and it's been fun to play through them and find all the stars and secret exits. Unfortunately, the final level has an issue that makes trying to complete it really annoying:
Sometimes the mole generator in this part of the level seems to just spawn a bunch of moles at random, preventing them from using the springboards.
Also, for some reason, trying to exit a level from the pause menu doesn't do anything. Aside from these issues, great job!
Thanks for the heads up! Both of these issues are known and will be fixed in the next patch releasing later today.

Added in 4 minutes 31 seconds:
Alexx0612 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 am
I expected anything from the haunted level, but not kaizoXD
Nothing relating to kaizo is required in the haunted level. What exactly are you referring to?

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Alexx0612 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm

I wanted to say that the ghost house is too complicated! By the way, how to get to the other 9 levels?

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:47 pm

Alexx0612 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm
I wanted to say that the ghost house is too complicated! By the way, how to get to the other 9 levels?
Talk to Tangeroomba and ask if they know any secrets.

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Alexx0612 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:51 am

Image I installed the patch, but now I get this error when I try to enter the portal.

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:56 pm

Alexx0612 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:51 am
Image I installed the patch, but now I get this error when I try to enter the portal.
Oh wow! So sorry! Not sure how I missed that. The newest patch should fix it!!

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:39 am

While I appreciate the quality of the system, a lot of content seems rushed every time I try to complete the game. Started the day after it was released and with just some levels not yet beaten. The challenges are brutal to complete, and I ended up deleting all my footage despite already completing them all due to a newer version coming out. Just as I try the 1.02 version, the portal failed to work. And for this 1.03 version, the starting point for the player is misplaced literally for the 2nd level (Paddle level). I immediately stopped playing after that.

Some challenges are, in a bad way, tight and frustrating.
  1. Paddle Wheels have two spots that scream it was untested. The last jump on the 1st section requires you to get hit intentionally and make a small jump on the Scuttlebug under the coins. As well as the vertical Paddle Wheel right before the checkpoint with 2 coins on the left and instant-kill lava on the right. Before the new patch, there aren't any coins on the platform that I would land on after the 2nd brutal spot. If memory serves right about how I completed the challenge in the first place, it makes the whole challenge impossible with the added coins. This challenge broke me.
  2. Swooper's no-left challenge is just difficult. Overshot a jump with the bouncing Swoopers and you have to reset the level. Speaking of resetting, why can't you start from a checkpoint? You have a lua system that checks if the conditions remain unbroken before getting the checkpoint and then saves it. Resetting back to the checkpoint instead of killing yourself intentionally after failing the conditions is just better.
  3. Sticky Swamp minimum jumps are tight. Almost little to no tolerance for needing just one extra jump. This comes from me that completed the challenge in exactly 24 jumps. A damage boost at the goal is a must and you can't even make a 1-block slime gap without jumping. It is quite unforgiving.
  4. As pointed out by others, the Ghost House speed run can be a nightmare. You had to slow down for tight spots between the boos and Eeries, as well as not take damage to lose your flying ability. You only have 2 minutes for the whole level, and it was a miracle that I completed it at around 1:40 after getting hit on the moving spikes and clutching with the invincibility frames.
As I said, it feels rushed. The fundamental technical problem with the portal error and the "exit level menu" not functioning somehow got past testing. Same with the "Challenge 2 completed" text and the "5th keyhole" text on the same line as the 4th one. Discounting the problems with the design of the challenges, I completed them all by trial and error. However, I never beat the game and will decide not to for the time being. I don't know what else isn't fixed or is still problematic, so I am going to wait until everything is finalized.

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Alexx0612 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:59 am

I found and completed those 9 levels, but there is also a Moving Meadows level in the folder, how do I get into it?

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:33 am

cato wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:39 am
While I appreciate the quality of the system, a lot of content seems rushed every time I try to complete the game. Started the day after it was released and with just some levels not yet beaten. The challenges are brutal to complete, and I ended up deleting all my footage despite already completing them all due to a newer version coming out. Just as I try the 1.02 version, the portal failed to work. And for this 1.03 version, the starting point for the player is misplaced literally for the 2nd level (Paddle level). I immediately stopped playing after that.

Some challenges are, in a bad way, tight and frustrating.
  1. Paddle Wheels have two spots that scream it was untested. The last jump on the 1st section requires you to get hit intentionally and make a small jump on the Scuttlebug under the coins. As well as the vertical Paddle Wheel right before the checkpoint with 2 coins on the left and instant-kill lava on the right. Before the new patch, there aren't any coins on the platform that I would land on after the 2nd brutal spot. If memory serves right about how I completed the challenge in the first place, it makes the whole challenge impossible with the added coins. This challenge broke me.
  2. Swooper's no-left challenge is just difficult. Overshot a jump with the bouncing Swoopers and you have to reset the level. Speaking of resetting, why can't you start from a checkpoint? You have a lua system that checks if the conditions remain unbroken before getting the checkpoint and then saves it. Resetting back to the checkpoint instead of killing yourself intentionally after failing the conditions is just better.
  3. Sticky Swamp minimum jumps are tight. Almost little to no tolerance for needing just one extra jump. This comes from me that completed the challenge in exactly 24 jumps. A damage boost at the goal is a must and you can't even make a 1-block slime gap without jumping. It is quite unforgiving.
  4. As pointed out by others, the Ghost House speed run can be a nightmare. You had to slow down for tight spots between the boos and Eeries, as well as not take damage to lose your flying ability. You only have 2 minutes for the whole level, and it was a miracle that I completed it at around 1:40 after getting hit on the moving spikes and clutching with the invincibility frames.
As I said, it feels rushed. The fundamental technical problem with the portal error and the "exit level menu" not functioning somehow got past testing. Same with the "Challenge 2 completed" text and the "5th keyhole" text on the same line as the 4th one. Discounting the problems with the design of the challenges, I completed them all by trial and error. However, I never beat the game and will decide not to for the time being. I don't know what else isn't fixed or is still problematic, so I am going to wait until everything is finalized.
Thank you so much for all the feedback. I truly appreciate it. So sorry for the myriad of issues after patches, I was left as the sole tester after the initial release so I was bound to miss a few things, and I won't deny that the patches themselves were definitely sort of rushed. However, I would like to clarify a few things about the challenges.

1. While I do agree with the unfairness of the first jump you mentioned in Paddlewheel Peril, and have nerfed it as such by removing some coins for the next patch, it is possible without a damage boost when duck-jumping, though admittedly it's quite tight. In terms of the last jump, it is still entirely possible after the patch, but requires a slightly different route that doesn't involve jumping to the left platform at all.

2. In terms of the no-left challenge. There actually is no way to get stuck after missing a jump on a Swooper. There are slopes placed to the right of each one that allow you to build up momentum sliding and either fall into the water to reset, or if you're precise enough, get back on the Swooper and bounce up to the ledge. However, I can see how that is not clearly conveyed, and I will definitely take your advice to add a "Return to Checkpoint" option in the pause menu.

3. This one is completely on me. I did not test the challenge as intensely after modifying the level design for the second patch, making the challenge significantly more difficult (though it is possible without a damage boost and within 23 jumps). For the next patch, however, I will be raising this challenge's criteria to 30 jumps.

4. Much like other challenges, this one becomes way easier with a deep understanding of the level's main mechanic. With this challenge specifically, using the momentum-carry-over property of the fair pendant is your best friend, though it's likely you already knew that, which is also why I added an extra check that prevents a ground touch from happening at the moment of transformation. However, because of the amount of complaints I received about this challenge specifically, I do plan to nerf it in the next patch, most specifically the Eerie and Diagonal Boo sections.

Overall, the challenges are meant to test true mastery of the episode's controls, physics, and level mechanics, which is why I made sure not to lock any content behind them aside from a tiny bit of extra dialogue. On the other hand, I can understand the difference between challenging and frustrating, and am more than willing to make adjustments as such. I truly appreciate all of your feedback, and thank you for seeing the challenges through to the end!
Alexx0612 wrote: I found and completed those 9 levels, but there is also a Moving Meadows level in the folder, how do I get into it?
There is a text file in the Moving Meadows folder that clarifies that it was cut near the end of development for severe quality concerns. I did, however, keep it in the files for anyone that managed to find it.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:19 am

I played some of this last night and the Deepis Water Level is my favourite I think. Luigi's swimming feels real nice, and there are some neat shortcuts past curving Rammerheads.

The fragments are disappointingly short and wouldn't even be worth the purchase price if there were 11 or more of them, I'm afraid. Deliberately designing them as dioramas to hang out in may have helped their staying power.

Chipss
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Chipss » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:35 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:19 am
I played some of this last night and the Deepis Water Level is my favourite I think. Luigi's swimming feels real nice, and there are some neat shortcuts past curving Rammerheads.

The fragments are disappointingly short and wouldn't even be worth the purchase price if there were 11 or more of them, I'm afraid. Deliberately designing them as dioramas to hang out in may have helped their staying power.
Admittedly, incorporating the unfinished levels from the original project in a relatively unmodified form probably wasn't the best way to tackle the situation, especially since they cost Purple Stars to unlock. I definitely like your idea involving the dioramas, as that could easily be explained within the concept of memories. One big mistake I made with this project (that I realized far too late) was that instead of thinking of the episode as a standalone experience first, and a way to deliver content from a cancelled episode second, I was thinking of it the other way around. Because of this, I definitely ran into a few roadblocks when it came to making the overall experience enjoyable.

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Alexx0612 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:03 am

I played the Luigi Fight for the Lost Island demo for the first time in the spring of 2022, I then thought that you had been making it all this time and it would be released in full size, but fate decided otherwise. In any case, thank you for letting me play the content that has been lying on your computer for a long time!

Dynam0
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Dynam0 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:58 pm

Finally got around to playing and beating this, and I have to say, this is an excellent package with great presentation considering the origin story is a scrapped project. It does, however, feel very disjointed (understandably) and makes the player wanting for more. So, I hope we'll see another episode, perhaps a bigger one, in the future from you! The level design was very fun and creative in this.

Return to “Episodes”