Temple of Time - WIP

The Science Contest is upon us! An extravaganza to celebrate all things jank. The Science Contest! Hail!
Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Temple of Time - WIP

Postby Alagirez » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:37 am

Yep, my WIP entry. I'm kinda unsure if I actually follow the rules so I decided to post here.
As usual, feedback is appreciated.
Also no music yet because I haven't found any. If you have some music reccomendations, please tell me so.
Screenshot: show
Download

edit: I had to withdraw because no motivation to finish. I'll still going to finish this in the future.
Last edited by Alagirez on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Temple of Time - WIP

Postby deice » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:39 am

now first off i'd just like to note that giving the player smb2 mushroom blocks during time stop lets them do this:
Spoiler: show
which can be used to bypass most of the intended solutions.

as for the level itself, i think it'd be more interesting if you experimented and found ways to incorporate some more unorthodox behaviors npcs have during stopped time into the gameplay - as it is it's just time stop behaving as expected (which doesn't make the level itself bad in a vacuum but y'know)

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:33 am

Using rooms.lua is getting close to not having minimal lua content. Understandable if you want a lot of checkpoints per segment and instant to respawn. The level feels like more to a Vanilla contest than a Science contest. I would say it was an way for the devs to fix a lot of stuff before rolling out new content for Beta 5. Everything works as it should and there aren't any unintended mechanics/funny glitches. As suggested you need to find weird behaviors aside from Mushroom block momentum conservation during time stop. Don't overdo it too. It is supposed to be a short, simple Uno Mas-like level.

As for the music, I won't go crazy for a short level. Something simple like SMM2 SMB Forest should do the job.

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:27 am

deice wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:39 am
now first off i'd just like to note that giving the player smb2 mushroom blocks during time stop lets them do this:
Spoiler: show
which can be used to bypass most of the intended solutions.

as for the level itself, i think it'd be more interesting if you experimented and found ways to incorporate some more unorthodox behaviors npcs have during stopped time into the gameplay - as it is it's just time stop behaving as expected (which doesn't make the level itself bad in a vacuum but y'know)
That gif actually gave me idea for some reason haha, but yea I have to be aware of this trick. Might force the player to do that idk
Anyways, I'm super agree that I should experiment more on NPC behavior stuff during the stop time.
cato wrote: Using rooms.lua is getting close to not having minimal lua content. Understandable if you want a lot of checkpoints per segment and instant to respawn. The level feels like more to a Vanilla contest than a Science contest. I would say it was an way for the devs to fix a lot of stuff before rolling out new content for Beta 5. Everything works as it should and there aren't any unintended mechanics/funny glitches. As suggested you need to find weird behaviors aside from Mushroom block momentum conservation during time stop. Don't overdo it too. It is supposed to be a short, simple Uno Mas-like level.

As for the music, I won't go crazy for a short level. Something simple like SMM2 SMB Forest should do the job.
Thank you for the input and the music suggestion!

Return to “Science Contest 2023”