Luigi hitting blocks

Post here for help and support regarding LunaLua and SMBX2's libraries and features.
Giggs-Chan
Rex
Rex

Luigi hitting blocks

Postby Giggs-Chan » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:29 am

For some reason, when you hit a block with a coin in it as Luigi, you don't get the coin right away. You have to jump on top of the block and collect it. Is there any way to fix this and why was this implemented in the first place?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Luigi hitting blocks

Postby deice » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:42 pm

Giggs-Chan wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:29 am
For some reason, when you hit a block with a coin in it as Luigi, you don't get the coin right away. You have to jump on top of the block and collect it. Is there any way to fix this and why was this implemented in the first place?
this same effect occurs with blocks that hold multiple coins as well. luigi or link hitting them will make all the coins pop out at once instead of requiring the player to hit it multiple times. it was probably implemented just cause redigit thought it would make for an interesting mechanic.

a way to patch this out could be:

Code: Select all

function onBlockHit(eventObj, hitBlock, fromUpper, playerOrNil)
	if(hitBlock.isValid and hitBlock.contentID < 1000 and playerOrNil and playerOrNil.character == CHARACTER_LUIGI) then
		eventObj.cancelled = true
		playerOrNil.character = CHARACTER_MARIO
		hitBlock:hit(fromUpper, playerOrNil, hitBlock:mem(0x04, FIELD_WORD))
		playerOrNil.character = CHARACTER_LUIGI
	end
end
and while this is kinda hacky, i can't really think of a better solution personally as passing the same character to block:hit() would cause an infinite recursion, crashing the game.

Mushroom King
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Mushroom King » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:56 pm

Worst, Luigi will not have the right amount if it's more than 21 coins, meaning he got less. More precisely, it is impossible for Luigi to get more than 21 coins in one block.

Giggs-Chan
Rex
Rex

Postby Giggs-Chan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:08 am

Mushroom King wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:56 pm
Worst, Luigi will not have the right amount if it's more than 21 coins, meaning he got less. More precisely, it is impossible for Luigi to get more than 21 coins in one block.
Probably cuz 9 plus 10 is 21 LOL

Added in 4 hours 59 minutes 17 seconds:
deice wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:42 pm
Giggs-Chan wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:29 am
this same effect occurs with blocks that hold multiple coins as well. luigi or link hitting them will make all the coins pop out at once instead of requiring the player to hit it multiple times. it was probably implemented just cause redigit thought it would make for an interesting mechanic.

a way to patch this out could be:

if(hitBlock.isValid and hitBlock.contentID < 1000 and playerOrNil and playerOrNil.character == CHARACTER_LUIGI) then
		playerOrNil.character = CHARACTER_LUIGI
	end
end
and while this is kinda hacky, i can't really think of a better solution personally as passing the same character to block:hit() would cause an infinite recursion, crashing the game.
Could you please post a file with the Luigi coin fix in it?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm

Giggs-Chan wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:07 pm
Could you please post a file with the Luigi coin fix in it?
create a file in your episode folder (the same one that holds your world.wld file) if you want it to apply to your whole episode, or inside a level's custom folder (the one containing custom assets such as graphics) if it's necessary just for one level, name it "luna.lua" (without the quotation marks) and then copy and paste the code i posted inside it.

Giggs-Chan
Rex
Rex

Postby Giggs-Chan » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:31 pm

Alright, Thank you. I'm also waiting for Hatsune Blake to update the minimalist HUD.
Last edited by Giggs-Chan on Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giggs-Chan
Rex
Rex

Postby Giggs-Chan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:27 pm

Ok, I put the code into the lunalua file, and this happened. What did I do wrong?

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:23 pm

Try changing this line.

to

if(hitBlock.isValid and hitBlock.contentID >= 1 and hitBlock.contentID <= 99 and playerOrNil and playerOrNil.character == CHARACTER_LUIGI) then
The original code checks if a block has no npcs in it, this code checks if the block has coins in it since in this case we only want the coins to be affected.

Giggs-Chan
Rex
Rex

Postby Giggs-Chan » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:20 pm

I also figured out that Toad has the same problem with the blocks except this time, it's worse. It shows SMB2 coins. Do I just copy and paste and replace "LUIGI" with "TOAD"? If so, where?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:05 pm

Giggs-Chan wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:20 pm
I also figured out that Toad has the same problem with the blocks except this time, it's worse. It shows SMB2 coins. Do I just copy and paste and replace "LUIGI" with "TOAD"? If so, where?
if you want to prevent this effect completely, regardless of character, you can use the following code instead of the previously posted one:

if(hitBlock.isValid and hitBlock.contentID > 0 and hitBlock.contentID < 100 and playerOrNil and (player.character ~= CHARACTER_PEACH and player.character ~= CHARACTER_MARIO)) then
		local prevChar = player.character
		playerOrNil.character = prevChar
	end
end
Last edited by deice on Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:06 pm

deice wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:05 pm
if you also want to remove the feature where toad can hit a block multiple times at once, replace

hitBlock:mem(0x04, FIELD_WORD)
with the number 1.

I think it's better to not specify the hit count, I remember running into a bug when I specified that as 1.
Spoiler: show

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:08 am

Marioman2007 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:06 pm
I think it's better to not specify the hit count, I remember running into a bug when I specified that as 1.
actually, (now that i've had time to test the code) it seems that memory offset 0x04 doesn't get updated before onBlockHit, meaning that the code I used already removes the feature by default and there's no need to change anything.

Return to “LunaLua Help”