Super Mario vs the Enslaved Kingdom (WIP) (Updated 23/10/22!)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: she/her

Super Mario vs the Enslaved Kingdom (WIP) (Updated 23/10/22!)

Postby ElTipsta » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:49 pm

Note: this thread has been updated as of 23/10/2023 with lots of new screenshots and information!

Well, after over a year of returning to SMBX, I'm finally getting round to showing off some of what I've been working on. I don't know for sure if I'll ever release this project or finish it, but i'm going to try now PGE and LunaLua have greatly made SMBX more accessible and superior than it ever has been. I am focusing on designing the levels first above anything else (ie. hub towns, world map).

Key Points:
- This episode is being made in SMBX 2.0 Beta.
- There will be 6 worlds and a postgame special world (similar to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in terms of structure).
- Each level will have 1 collectable SMW star in it (required to unlock the special world) as well as 3 Star Coins.
- Many levels will have secret exits.
- Each level will have a unique theme and incorporates graphic styles from all Mario games featured in SMBX.
- Some GFX are made by me, but the vast majority were made by other people.
- Full graphics and music credits will be given.
- There will also some bonus Easter Eggs and references.

Story:
Spoiler: show
The Enslaved Kingdom exists and is kidnapping Toads and enslaving them into becoming their loyal slaves via bucket helmets to build the kingdom (along the lines of Planktopolis from the Spongebob movie). Mario has to go and find a way and take the Kingdom down and free all the captured Toads.
Worlds (updated 23/10/2022)
World 1: Mushroom Kingdom
This is the usual world 1 fluff with a couple of twists, aside from the usual grass, sky and caves. It is the Mushroom Kingdom after all, which hasn't been corrupted by the EK. Yet.
Levels: 7/7 Completed

World 2: Beach Resort
This is the land of sand, land of water, and of course lots of Spongebob / Ys VIII vibes. Also features the Boom Boom bar at the end of this world.
Levels: 6/8 Completed

World 3: Freezeflame
What it says on the tin. Imagine Freezeflame Galaxy but having to go out of your way into the fire portion to find the Switch palace required to proceed to the summit. Featuring lots of ice, fire and of course the Penguin Suit.
Levels: 6/8 Completed

World 4: Yggdrasil Forest Labyrinth
Imagine Etrian Odyssey crossed with the SMW Forest of Illusion. Featuring lots of forest levels of all elements, multiple levels with secret exits. And of course, a hub town where guilds gather before trying to venture into the labyrinth.

Levels: 6/9 Completed

World 5: Heaven
Starting in the mountains, you aim to go to Heaven to try and get help from the fairies to stop the EK. Of ocurse, in betwen the dangerous rocky ridges, fairy fleets and cosy levels inspired by sweets and gift wrap, it'll be no easy task.

Levels: 4/? Completed

World 6: The Enslaved Kingdom
Welcome to hell. The HQ. Home to divine prisons, cruelty, darkness and more. Of course, more includes lots of brutally hard levels, enemies wearing bucket helmets and lots of ghosts. However, in the deepest depths lies the antagonists responsible for this mess! Lots of inspiration from the Spongebob Movie, SMT and Kingdom Hearts here.

Levels: 4/? Completed

World 7: Special World
this world is special, just like you! not every level here is meant to be taken seriously, however they all have just as much heart put into them as the main game. you'll need to hit all the switch blocks in the palaces and collect all stars to get here, though.

Levels: 2/? Completed

Note: Town hubs, most bonus areas and most bosses have not been done yet. All Switch Palaces have been done though.
New Screenshots / GIFs (23/10/2022)
Screenshots (03/03/2022)
If you've been following my posts in the discord you'll recognise some of the levels.

All screenshots are of a work in progress.

Thread will be updated on occasion. Feedback appreciated :)
Last edited by ElTipsta on Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Super Mario vs the Enslaved Kingdom (WIP)

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:40 pm

HOLY cow these levels are amazing. Some of them I recognize from the Discord server, including the cool-looking Pride Flag level. Looking forward to see what you can do with this episode!

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby ElTipsta » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:07 am

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:40 pm
HOLY cow these levels are amazing. Some of them I recognize from the Discord server, including the cool-looking Pride Flag level. Looking forward to see what you can do with this episode!
Thank you :)

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:22 pm

Just took a look at this and I need to give a huge shoutout to the level with the pride flag rainbows, such a good vibe!!!

ditditdit
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: e
Pronouns: she/they

Postby ditditdit » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:01 pm

I love the idea!
though I've never seen spongebob, so what's Planktopolis?

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:50 pm

Hello, I noted that your project has a world named "Yggdrasil Forest Labyrinth", is it a reference to the Etrian Odyssey series, I'm right?
It's really rare to see another person rather me know the series, very nice, anxious to see what this episode gonna go.

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby ElTipsta » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:03 pm

thank you all for the kind comments! to anwer a couple of questions:
ditditdit wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:01 pm
though I've never seen spongebob, so what's Planktopolis?
it's what plankton transforms bikini bottom into after spongebob and patrick go to get neptune's crown in the Movie. it's basically a wasteland / desert / factory / fortress setting. plus various characters in the movie wear bucket helmets (and i have bucket helmet NPCs planned / some made).
AirShip wrote: Hello, I noted that your project has a world named "Yggdrasil Forest Labyrinth", is it a reference to the Etrian Odyssey series, I'm right?
It's really rare to see another person rather me know the series, very nice, anxious to see what this episode gonna go.
Yes :) I love the series, the whole world 4 is basically like Etrian Odyssey in a lot of ways. The forest / sand level in the screenshots is based off Stratum IV from the first EO.

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Super Mario vs the Enslaved Kingdom (WIP) (Updated 23/10/22!)

Postby ElTipsta » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:24 am

Bumping this as I've added some new screenshots and world details :)

Return to “Projects”