Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Full Game Release)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Full Game Release)

Postby Cognition » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:05 pm

Story:
Bowser has taken Princess Peach along with the Yoshi eggs and fled to a far off island where he plans to build his new empire. It's up to Mario and Luigi, with the help of the native Yoshi, to find all the keys that open Bowsers Castle and put a stop to him and his plan.
The levels are a mix of new and familiar with revamps. I hope you all enjoy and it invokes some nostalgia.

Worlds Included:
Yoshi Shores
Block Plateau
Icing Domes
Cinnamon Cliffs
Sky Garden
Forest of Confusion
Sunburnt Desert
Bowser's Magma Cave
Bonus World (AKA Star World)

Download for SMBX2 Beta 4:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kls7mvgq ... s.zip/file
Download option 2:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Thank you to all those who played through the beta and demos and left your feedback. You all are amazing and special shout out to deice for all the detailed help you gave me throughout this project!

Graphic Credit:
Sednaiur
Valtteri
Squishy Rex
PinkTeddy
Shikaternia
VannyArts or Eman
Linkstorm Z
S1mon
Kojimkj
Evan F.
MF230

Luna Code Credit:
MrDoubleA
IAmPlayer
deice
Murphmario

Music Credit:
Turret 3471

Thanks to all these lovely folks and their amazing skills.
Last edited by Cognition on Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Re: Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Demo 2 Available)

Postby Cognition » Sat May 28, 2022 1:53 pm

The Second Demo is now available! Test it out and let me know what you think. Thanks!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/akmee662 ... E.zip/file

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat May 28, 2022 3:52 pm

i didn't actually see this thread before, must've gotten buried under something else (a shame cause i liked the demo).

in any case, it's a fun rompy little episode which doesn't do anything crazy but still has good enough ideas to make do without the need for it. especially towards the end of the demo when the not-so-subtle mario world level design inspirations start to get replaced by completely original concepts, it's a comfy time in general. i do think that it'd be better to shower the player with a few less powerups though. having the top secret areas is a-ok as they serve as rewards for work put in, but if every other level has 4 tier two powerups and 2 yoshis inside it, i'm less encouraged to keep whatever i have on me right now because there's not much risk present (i think i died 2-3 times total throughout the entire second demo) which leads to somewhat less engaging gameplay.

as for oversights, what i was able to notice:
  • as you walk the bridge out from the secret path of on/off maze, mario is drawn behind the waterfall
  • the secret area in world 5 has a typo in it's name
  • i randomly got a native smbx (i.e. not lua) runtime error that said "invalid procedure call" or something along those lines during the paddle platform level. not sure if it's related to that custom npc or if you can do anything to fix it but might as well put it here
and then the stuff that i'm not sure whether it's intentional but i'll still report it just in case:
  • the secret exits for the levels in world 3-5 which lead to secret areas also unlock the normal exits
  • the key in sumo bros fortress spawns after killing only two of three sumo bros
  • some places have ceilings you can fly over; i thought this was intentional until i also encountered some that you can't, so now i'm not quite sure
overall, i wish you good luck in your further endeavors and look forward to playing the full episode ^^

Ibaka
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Nothing
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ibaka » Sat May 28, 2022 6:08 pm

The Demo is great! (The Second one).
Although, The Episode needs some patching up

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Cognition » Sat May 28, 2022 6:19 pm

deice wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:52 pm
as for oversights, what i was able to notice:
  • as you walk the bridge out from the secret path of on/off maze, mario is drawn behind the waterfall
  • the secret area in world 5 has a typo in it's name
  • i randomly got a native smbx (i.e. not lua) runtime error that said "invalid procedure call" or something along those lines during the paddle platform level. not sure if it's related to that custom npc or if you can do anything to fix it but might as well put it here
and then the stuff that i'm not sure whether it's intentional but i'll still report it just in case:
  • the secret exits for the levels in world 3-5 which lead to secret areas also unlock the normal exits
  • the key in sumo bros fortress spawns after killing only two of three sumo bros
  • some places have ceilings you can fly over; i thought this was intentional until i also encountered some that you can't, so now i'm not quite sure
overall, i wish you good luck in your further endeavors and look forward to playing the full episode ^^
Thanks deice! As for some of the graphical, spelling, and secret exit path problems, they are fixed.
I am unsure of the runtime error you got on the paddle playground level. I don't use any lua in that level. That npc is part of the base SMBX2. I also haven't received an error after playing through it twice. As for the Sumo Bros, that isn't supposed tp happen. I had to run lua code to get it to work and maybe I missed something.
Here is the code:
local firstLayerDeathEvent = "Sumo 1"
local secondLayerDeathEvent = "Sumo 2"
local thirdLayerDeathEvent = "Sumo 3"

local bothDeadEvent = "Key"

local firstEnemyDefeated = false
local secondEnemyDefeated = false
local thirdEnemyDefeated = false

function onEvent(death)
if death == firstLayerDeathEvent then
firstEnemyDefeated = true
elseif death == secondLayerDeathEvent then
secondEnemyDefeated = true
elseif death == thirdLayerDeathEvent then
thirdEnemyDefeated = true
end

if firstEnemyDefeated and secondEnemyDefeated and thirdEnemyDefeated then
firstEnemyDefeated = false
secondEnemyDefeated = false
thirdEnemyDefeated = false
triggerEvent(bothDeadEvent)
end
end
The secret areas are really just meant for the Yoshi colors, but I see what you mean by over use of power-ups. I just didn't want to make the game too challenging as its more for a good time. But I will go through and take some away as well as fix some of the fly over ceilings. I try to copy the gameplay style of the NSMB games with coins and power-ups being abundant. Thanks again deice!

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat May 28, 2022 7:16 pm

Cognition wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:19 pm
I am unsure of the runtime error you got on the paddle playground level. I don't use any lua in that level. That npc is part of the base SMBX2. I also haven't received an error after playing through it twice.
it's possible it was a one-off thing, those kinds of runtime errors usually indicate that something went wrong within the 1.3 code, so it might've just been a random memory leak or something (though personally i've never seen that specific error happen, nor have i seen a runtime error happen outside of specific circumstances like a 1-up falling into lava or entering a level door too many times).
Cognition wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:19 pm
As for the Sumo Bros, that isn't supposed tp happen. I had to run lua code to get it to work and maybe I missed something.
you actually don't have to use any lua there. just put the sumo bros in their own layer and set "Key" as the "Layer is empty" event for each of them.

Mal8rk
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: English Speaking Spanish Speaker
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mal8rk » Sat May 28, 2022 8:44 pm

The Super Mario World energy on this is strong!

I like that!

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Re: Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Beta Available)

Postby Cognition » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:25 pm

The Beta is finally here! I will have an open beta for a week. Please give it a try and leave detailed feedback on any glitches, errors or bugs.
*closed*

Thank you in advanced to all those who have tried out the game. This will be the last version before the final release. I will fix any issues after the open beta week is over. I will also be adding a bonus world to complete when you beat the game in the final release. Once all that is done this thread can be moved to Episodes.
Last edited by Cognition on Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dxbros
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: Mi FuTuRo Mundo
Pronouns: Dx

Postby Dxbros » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:04 pm

hey, your world is good, could you give me advice so that people see my world as well as you?

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:20 am

Cognition wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:25 pm
The Beta is finally here! I will have an open beta for a week. Please give it a try and leave detailed feedback on any glitches, errors or bugs.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zwohx82i ... ).zip/file

Thank you in advanced to all those who have tried out the game. This will be the last version before the final release. I will fix any issues after the open beta week is over. I will also be adding a bonus world to complete when you beat the game in the final release. Once all that is done this thread can be moved to Episodes.
hey hey, good to see this project making progress! i finished playing through it just now, and i can safely say that most of my words of praise from the demo still apply. i was also pleasantly surprised that the length and difficulty does start to pick up noticeably in worlds 7 and 8 (except for that one darkness level where i kept dying cause i was impatient with the moving layer). i do hope the special world builds upon this with even more variety and challenge, but even if it doesn't i assume it'll still be fun anyways. good luck with the rest of the stuff you have left to finish.

some things that i did take issue with, however:
- a few of the secret exits (mouser fortress and lava rush for example) feel like it's literally just "beat the level again with no added challenge". not hiding a second exit is fine, but personally i'd prefer if it came with an extra short room to clear or something, to remedy the tedium of replaying the whole level.
- the arrow platform level in world 6 rubbed me the wrong way cause the platform just peaces out on you if you step off rather than maintaining its previous direction, which makes it feel like the level doesn't want you to actually go for the powerups or move to the ground at all (but that's a bit of an ask considering the scroll speed).
- the fish in wendy's boss fight don't actually get to do anything at all, making her the easiest boss in the game. the first batch doesn't get to go in the water, the second one gets crushed against the ceiling, and wendy dies before a third one can come out. i'd suggest modifying the generator interval.
- the snake blocks in the world 7 castle and that one room of bowser's castle aren't typically how you're supposed to make snake blocks. you should put one that creates on one end and one that eats on the other. stacking a bunch of snake block npcs (while functional) results in janky behavior such as yoshi falling through them or the player unexpectedly getting pushed off when it turns.
- the rex that leaves fire behind it in that one world 8 level causes a lua error if it gets off screen without the player killing it, not sure if you can fix this but it's a pretty big issue so i feel it's right to report.
- just a minor visual bug, but the blue switch palace blocks that appear on the overworld when you press it get drawn behind the purple pool that's on the side.

looking forward to the finished product, great work overall ^^

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Cognition » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:54 am

Dxbros wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:04 pm
hey, your world is good, could you give me advice so that people see my world as well as you?
I may not be the best person to ask. While I've been playing SMBX for a long time I struggle with communicating detail. I just kinda act. However there are some great threads out there that help with level design tips.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=19069
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=19096
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=16458

Also, deice thanks so much for the awesome feedback and kudos. It means a lot. I'll be taking a look at some of the issues you discovered.
In regards to the special world, I wasn't gonna make it too challenging but more fun. Now I'm thinking I may add in some more challenge for the last world. Thanks again.

Dxbros
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb
Flair: Mi FuTuRo Mundo
Pronouns: Dx

Postby Dxbros » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Cognition wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:54 am
Dxbros wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:04 pm
I may not be the best person to ask. While I've been playing SMBX for a long time I struggle with communicating detail. I just kinda act. However there are some great threads out there that help with level design tips.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=19069
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=19096
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=16458

Also, deice thanks so much for the awesome feedback and kudos. It means a lot. I'll be taking a look at some of the issues you discovered.
In regards to the special world, I wasn't gonna make it too challenging but more fun. Now I'm thinking I may add in some more challenge for the last world. Thanks again.
Thanks for the information
:mrgreen:

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Re: Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Beta Closed, Stay Tuned)

Postby Cognition » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:43 pm

The Beta is now closed. Thank you to all who have played thru it and those who left feedback. I will be releasing the full game very soon with all the bonus levels. Stay tuned.

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Re: Super Mario and The Lost Eggs (Full Game Release)

Postby Cognition » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:07 pm

If I can get an Admin or Moderator to move this to the Episodes Thread please.
Thank you to all those who played through the beta and demos and left your feedback. You all are amazing and special shout out to deice for all the detailed help you gave me throughout this 6 month project! I will be taking a solid break but will be back with more. I have some ideas for a different project in a theme I don't see too often. Thanks again everyone and enjoy the bonus levels.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby deice » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:42 pm

nice work finishing the episode, i just beat the special world and can safely say it's a very fun package overall. regarding the changes made from the last version:

- i liked the little room added to lava rush, it's short but conceptually neat and isn't completely free either.
- changing the wooden platform level into a p-balloon one was a very good way to go about it because it keeps the general flow of the level intact (midair precision maneuvering where it's harder to move downwards) while granting the player additional control over the situation. personally i wouldn't have even thought of that myself so big props.
- the special world is a very well-crafted reward for beating the game. the levels are somewhat more challenging than the rest of the game, but the player is also given an infinite and immediately available supply of powerups so they can decide what pace they want to play them (e.g. i like difficult content so i went into the special world as small mario). the only thing that might be missing is some kind of post-clear reward that requires absolutely all 4 of the switch palaces to be cleared, though maybe i'm just being greedy haha.

the only immediately visible issue to me was the lack of music in wooden block land and the last section of magma dig.

thank for make, i will patiently await your future creations ^^

Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blake Izayoi » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:33 pm

I've moved your topic to the Episode sub-forum! Congratulations on finishing your episode.

MarchTo49
Spiny
Spiny
Pronouns: They/them

Postby MarchTo49 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:36 am

Good episode. It feels weird as it feels like playing Super Mario World remake in an Mario fangame

However, I have one problem. When you press "SHIFT" while you're on the World Map, it'll make the Reserve Box goes empty if it's already have one power-up before.

But for the other words, keep on the good work!

tangy
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: less is more

Postby tangy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:14 pm

It's nice but kind of milquetoast and uninspired. The production value is high, but there's only so many times you can play remakes of Super Mario world levels before they get tiring, and the freshly made levels don't have much to them. I've only played the first two worlds, though. Hope it picks up from here.

UPDATE: I don't know where the line is between 'cheeky smw reference' and 'blatant copying' but. Image
this is just vanilla dome 1. Like i expected it to be flavorfully similar to smw but not directly copying iconic setpieces. I'd play smw if I wanted to have an authentic vanilla dome 1 experience

Cognition
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Cognition » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:40 am

tangeruse wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:14 pm
It's nice but kind of milquetoast and uninspired. The production value is high, but there's only so many times you can play remakes of Super Mario world levels before they get tiring, and the freshly made levels don't have much to them. I've only played the first two worlds, though. Hope it picks up from here.

UPDATE: I don't know where the line is between 'cheeky smw reference' and 'blatant copying' but. Image
this is just vanilla dome 1. Like i expected it to be flavorfully similar to smw but not directly copying iconic setpieces. I'd play smw if I wanted to have an authentic vanilla dome 1 experience
I believe there was an entire recreation of Super Mario Bros 3 on this platform that was received very well in the community if I’m not mistaken. I didn’t see how, yes, taking level props and assets to bring nostalgia of Super Mario World to it’s fans was a problem. I felt that including it was somewhat of a love letter to the original game and to Nintendo. Along with flaring up the graphics and including new ones. Sorry if the episode isn’t your cup of tea. I worked very hard on it and will keep these things in mind for the next one I work on.
Last edited by Cognition on Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:32 am

For future reference I suggest also uploading your episode to another service like MEGA, since MediaFire is very notorious for having slow download speeds nowadays.

Return to “Episodes”