Grandpa Yoshi's Island (SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 REQUIRED!)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Shidomaru
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Grandpa Yoshi's Island (SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 REQUIRED!)

Postby Shidomaru » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:45 pm

Remember my very first episode way back in 2014 when I remade Mega Man 1 in SMBX? Well, I've given the same treatment to Donkey Kong Country 1! As a result of Super Mario and DKC's similarities, this is the most vanilla thing I've ever done in SMBX! That's right, Shidomaru finally made an episode with NO ANIME in it! And because of that you guys are going to love this one!

That being said, it's the things that SMBX CAN'T imitate that make this episode a distinct experience in its own right!

Plot:
Bowser and his Koopa Troopas arrive at Grandpa Yoshi's Island with the intention of mining for iron and other ores to make weaponry with. All the mining not only disturbs the island's peace and quiet, but the Koopas also capture the local Yoshis and stuff them into '?' blocks!

After some convincing by his grandchildren, the elderly Grandpa Yoshi calls the plumbers Mario and Luigi, wondering just what plumbing has anything to do with kicking an army of mining turtles out of his island. As soon as the Mario Brothers' boat reaches the island, the adventure begins...

This episode took me FIVE YEARS to make! Started it in 2017. See, this is why I usually avoid making long episodes...

Screenshots
Spoiler: show
Update (10/22/2022):
-Terrible Treetops now has springs added to the moving platforms to avoid slipping.
-Darkness Deception now has more torches to provide more illuminated spaces.

Download Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6wmksoa9 ... d.zip/file

Trivia:
As this is a DKC1 remake, the elderly Yoshi was initially going to be called "Cranky Old Yoshi". However, some time later I realized that I wrote him in a way that was not cranky at all, so I renamed him "Grandpa Yoshi". I also considered him as my new nickname when I would come back to the SMBX forums, but I decided to keep my old nickname Shidomaru instead.
Last edited by Shidomaru on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

RDUser
Goomba
Goomba

Re: Grandpa Yoshi's Island (SMBX 2.0 Beta 4 REQUIRED!)

Postby RDUser » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:37 pm

I recently started playing this episode and it's amazing!!!! I'm stuck at trying to find the secret star for Seafloor Shenanigan tho loll, hopefully I can find it at some point

RDUser
Goomba
Goomba

Postby RDUser » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:19 pm

I'm playing Temple Temper rn. Just did the star where you have to kill the green enemy and you have 3 red enemies as obstacles. My first reaction after getting the bomb was " What? .-." because at first I thought I had to climb the enemies to get the star, but a second later I processed the information and instinctively knew that I had to kill the green enemy. I LOVE THIS GAME!! Very intuitive way of letting the player figure out the mechanics of the game!!
I was also pleasantly surprised by the way you decided to show the abilities of the purple yoshi in Bridge Bonanza! So far I'm so into this game!!! :3
Last edited by RDUser on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shidomaru
Spike
Spike

Postby Shidomaru » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:29 pm

RDUser wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:37 pm
I recently started playing this episode and it's amazing!!!! I'm stuck at trying to find the secret star for Seafloor Shenanigan tho loll, hopefully I can find it at some point
I'm sorry, but there are no stars in the water levels. The cyan Yoshi is talking about a stash of coins near a Rip Van FIsh.
RDUser wrote: I'm playing Temple Temper rn. Just did the star where you have to kill the green enemy and you have 3 red enemies as obstacles. My first reaction after getting the bomb was " What? .-." because at first I thought I had to climb the enemies to get the star, but a second later I processed the information and instinctively knew that I had to kill the green enemy. I LOVE THIS GAME!! Very intuitive way of letting the player figure out the mechanics of the game!!
I was also pleasantly surprised by the way you decided to show the abilities of the purple yoshi in Bridge Bonanza! So far I'm so into this game!!! :3
Thank you very much, I'm very flattered :oops: I hope my episode remains enjoyable for you to the very end. :)

MarchTo49
Spiny
Spiny
Pronouns: They/them

Postby MarchTo49 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:40 am

I played your episode and I saw it have potential and but, however, I find it very disappointing. First, I liked the usage of Puggsy game music in your episode, and I recognize the one used in the warp zone are the same one probably used in the anti-piracy screen in the Puggsy game one. Some levels were very really hard for me without using cheats, especially in parts with bottomless pits and floating Parakoopas, which seems unnecessary. Haunted Hollow have parts with big Boos, which seems probably unnecessary and unfair for inexperienced players and other players with problems using the keys.

I also personally liked the Glacial Glitter. However, I gave up after died in Cod Chasers. Overally is a unfairly hard episode for me, because I'm one of the other players with problems using the keys probably. :cry:

Shidomaru
Spike
Spike

Postby Shidomaru » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:21 pm

MarchTo49 wrote: Haunted Hollow have parts with big Boos, which seems probably unnecessary and unfair for inexperienced players and other players with problems using the keys.
My advice for those is to face away from them until they are in a good position to serve as a sort of "bridge" between the platforms, then spin-jump on top of them to get across.

RDUser
Goomba
Goomba

Postby RDUser » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:06 am

I continued playing this episode. Definitely the first couple worlds are the strongest in terms of enjoyability. But as the game progressed, I'd definitely say that some parts feel a bit unfair to the blind player, to where one would lose for no reason of their own. Also, there are some mechanics that were simply not a good fit with the physics of the game. There's this level (which I can't remember the name of) in the Forest World, where you have to go from platform to platform. You have to constantly watch the platform and the floor because that's where you have a background that indicates where the platform changes direction by. Instead of feeling like a challenge, that part felt unfair. Also, the physics would get horrible in this platforms. The character would slip way more than normal because the platforms would change direction (you can't notice that right away because you would jump to a moving platform, so you would focus your eyes on your character and not the background which was at the floor, to artificially create a harder section).

I think this episode is great in it's first 3 worlds, after that, the quality of gameplay declines. Music is lovely, FOR THE MOST PART, not unfair, but after the first worlds, it feels like at least half of the levels have sections that are unfairly/cheaply harder than they need to be (That's if the whole level is not that way).

I got frustrated as I kept playing this nice episode which is kinda sad because I fell in love with it. It would be very fun to play something similar in quality/format/gameplay to the first couple worlds of this episode, but instead for a whole episode.

Shidomaru
Spike
Spike

Postby Shidomaru » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:53 pm

RDUser wrote: There's this level (which I can't remember the name of) in the Forest World, where you have to go from platform to platform. You have to constantly watch the platform and the floor because that's where you have a background that indicates where the platform changes direction by. Instead of feeling like a challenge, that part felt unfair. Also, the physics would get horrible in this platforms. The character would slip way more than normal because the platforms would change direction (you can't notice that right away because you would jump to a moving platform, so you would focus your eyes on your character and not the background which was at the floor, to artificially create a harder section).
This feedback interests me because I happened to talk with another player about it. That part used to have springs on top of the moving platforms, and you would be constantly bouncing on those as the platform moved. I had deemed that too hard, so I removed the springs, but then this person told me that the section would actually be easier with the springs on the platforms!

Do you agree with this person? Should I patch the game to put the springs back onto the moving platforms?

RDUser
Goomba
Goomba

Postby RDUser » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:34 pm

Shidomaru wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:53 pm
RDUser wrote: There's this level (which I can't remember the name of) in the Forest World, where you have to go from platform to platform. You have to constantly watch the platform and the floor because that's where you have a background that indicates where the platform changes direction by. Instead of feeling like a challenge, that part felt unfair. Also, the physics would get horrible in this platforms. The character would slip way more than normal because the platforms would change direction (you can't notice that right away because you would jump to a moving platform, so you would focus your eyes on your character and not the background which was at the floor, to artificially create a harder section).
This feedback interests me because I happened to talk with another player about it. That part used to have springs on top of the moving platforms, and you would be constantly bouncing on those as the platform moved. I had deemed that too hard, so I removed the springs, but then this person told me that the section would actually be easier with the springs on the platforms!

Do you agree with this person? Should I patch the game to put the springs back onto the moving platforms?
Hello, sorry for the late response. Taking into consideration that there are no enemies on that part, I too believe it should make it easier to platform. That's because whoever is playing wouldn't interact with the physics of the moving platform anymore, especially where the platform changes direction, so players wouldn't slip.
I deeply appreciate the fact that you would be open to making a change on gameplay based on people's reviews!!

Shidomaru
Spike
Spike

Postby Shidomaru » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:58 pm

RDUser wrote: I deeply appreciate the fact that you would be open to making a change on gameplay based on people's reviews!!
RDUser wrote: Taking into consideration that there are no enemies on that part, I too believe it should make it easier to platform. That's because whoever is playing wouldn't interact with the physics of the moving platform anymore, especially where the platform changes direction, so players wouldn't slip.
Thank you. That's the decisive feedback I was looking for. Then it's decided, I shall patch that and other two levels and upload an updated version of the episode as soon as I can.

Return to “Episodes”