how do you make a custom character

Post here for help and support regarding LunaLua and SMBX2's libraries and features.
Knitted_Egg
Bit
Bit
Flair: i am better obviously
Pronouns: he/him

how do you make a custom character

Postby Knitted_Egg » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:54 pm

hello I want to make a character that is similar to mario but is slower and can do a double jump but how do I make a custom character? I know there is custom character blocks but I just want to make a custom character.

deice
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: how do you make a custom character

Postby deice » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:11 pm

if you just want mario but slower and with a double jump, you actually don't need a completely custom character.
the player's speed cap can be controlled by "Defines.player_runspeed" and "Defines.player_walkspeed" (though the latter cap won't apply to any manual speed boosts that the player receives)
as for double jump, i believe there's a library for it on the wohsoft forums but it might be outdated. in any case, it shouldn't be too hard to implement if you know how to use events and player memory offsets; also maybe taking a look at the source code would help with figuring the physics out. (at any rate it's much much easier to do than creating an entire new character)

LooKiCH
Tweeter
Tweeter
Pronouns: he/him

Postby LooKiCH » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:17 pm

for double jump create local variable and use "function onKeyDown(k)", "player.speedY", "SFX.play(1)" and "if k == KEY_JUMP or k == KEY_SPINJUMP then"

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Marioman2007 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:29 pm

LooKiCH wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:17 pm
for double jump create local variable and use "function onKeyDown(k)", "player.speedY", "SFX.play(1)" and "if k == KEY_JUMP or k == KEY_SPINJUMP then"

A better approach would be:

Code: Select all

function onInputUpdate()
    if player.keys.jump == KEYS_PRESSED or player.keys.altJump == KEYS_PRESSED then
        -- do stuff
    end
end

Return to “LunaLua Help”