Vulpix Woods

'Twas the Choco Latte Contest 2022.
Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Vulpix Woods

Postby Murphmario » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:45 pm

A pretty standard forest level I whipped up for this contest. Asides from the cute fire-breathing foxes, there's not really a gimmick at all in this level.

Screenshot:
Spoiler: show
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l4mzBk ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Murphmario on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Re: Vulpix Woods

Postby cato » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:56 am

Pretty chill level to be honest. Straightforward without overwhelming the player. If you are aiming for a short and standard level, everything should be in good shape (except for the underground music, it gave me a warning and unable to play). The underground section bears little relevance when you also added Metroid enemies (I assume) for no reason.

If you want to expand the level (or improve it, whatever), I have some nice ideas in terms of potential gimmicks/setups (probably may get complicated). You can also consider turning the background into a Parallex background so that you don't have to place the tree BGOs individually.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:35 pm

cato wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:56 am
Pretty chill level to be honest. Straightforward without overwhelming the player. If you are aiming for a short and standard level, everything should be in good shape (except for the underground music, it gave me a warning and unable to play). The underground section bears little relevance when you also added Metroid enemies (I assume) for no reason.

If you want to expand the level (or improve it, whatever), I have some nice ideas in terms of potential gimmicks/setups (probably may get complicated). You can also consider turning the background into a Parallex background so that you don't have to place the tree BGOs individually.
I get your point about the Metroid enemies, I ended up modifying the section to remove them. As for the underground theme, I added a section in the readme explaining the problems there, it's fixed now though.

As for the setups, I am not sure if I'm gonna work on the level that much more or not, but I'd be interested in hearing them.

Oh yeah, level's been updated by the way.

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:58 am

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:35 pm
As for the setups, I am not sure if I'm gonna work on the level that much more or not, but I'd be interested in hearing them.
I think the most obvious one is to diversify your setups. So far, the Vulpix only split fire right in front of them (or some long distance for only a few of them after the checkpoint). Perhaps you can operate them with a timer so as to make multiple jumps before they split fire on the sole platform you needed to proceed. An additional (vertical) section also works too. It would be nice to dodge only the projectiles instead of the fire.

You can also put a more variety of Vulpix available in the level. Like one shoots upwards instead of downwards, one that shoots Sumo Bro's fire which spreads out, or one that produces an explosion when the projectile collides with a surface. The choice is up to you.

Return to “Choco Latte Contest 2022”