Super Mario Enigmatic 2 (SMBX2)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Super Mario Enigmatic 2 (SMBX2)

Postby Reign » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Introduction:

The Mushroom Kingdom had lived in peace ever since Bowser's plans for world invasion through the power of the Sacred Star were ruined by Mario and his friends. However, unnerving news from the neighboring kingdom of Shiverburn Nova reached her highness, Queen Daisy. With the royal flagship and her most trusted allies, she began the journey to confront Bowser, who had obtained a new kind of power that would ensure his superiority.

The episode begins with an assault to Bowser's palace. Can you solve the perplexing puzzles in the mysterious world of Shiverburn Nova and put an end to Bowser's plans?

Features:

* 4 playable characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Link)
* Over 100 levels
* Multi-phase boss fights and minibosses
* Unlimited lives
* Takes advantage of LunaLua and SMBX 2.0 features
* Main graphics by Sednaiur

Details:

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show

Download:

https://rpgmaker.net/games/8964/

The episode should be played on SMBX2.

Download SMBX2 here if necessary:

http://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/downloads.html

Some comments about the episode from the beta test:

definitely one of the greatest episodes of all time, I'm putting it on my 10/10 list. this was a breath of fresh air after a long time,your work never ceases to amaze me. - TheNewGuy

This episode is very very amazing, all the puzzles (especially the final ones) are really elaborate and really satisfy you when you find a solution. And the story is just outstanding, I almost forgot I was playing SMBX, and thought I was playing an RPG or reading a book! This is actually the very first time I feel bad for a character leaving in a SMBX episode, it was very very very very good. Amazing experience. - 8lue Storm
Last edited by Reign on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Super Mario Enigmatic 2: ReNovated (SMBX2 PAL)

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Um... Isn't it not allow to make episodes using the Pal build of SMBX2?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:39 pm

It's allowed ... just check if it keeps running on Beta 4 when it comes out ...

also cool ...

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:39 pm
It's allowed ... just check if it keeps running on Beta 4 when it comes out ...
Yup, will be tested again when beta 4 is out.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:15 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:38 pm
Um... Isn't it not allow to make episodes using the Pal build of SMBX2?
Enjl stated the following:
Not good for releasing episodes, since there are bound to be changes to new features between PAL and Beta 4. You COULD still release for it, but it's likely the episode will need some bugfixes and redesigns in places once Beta 4 is out.
So yeah, it seems to be allowed.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything

Postby TheNightingale » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:16 pm

However this episode may require a lot of work to redo if their features don't work in B4

Looks really interesting tho

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:55 am

I'd like to point out, that the episode also works on beta 3. Just much smoother on PAL, which is why it's recommended.

stageleft
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Cinnamon & Sugar

Postby stageleft » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:23 am

Really digging the new world map and organization. Maybe its because I didn't download PAL, but in regular SMBX2 when nearing the end of the intro level, some text boxes appear 2wice in a row and it continues to do so until exiting the level.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 am

stageleft wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:23 am
Really digging the new world map and organization. Maybe its because I didn't download PAL, but in regular SMBX2 when nearing the end of the intro level, some text boxes appear 2wice in a row and it continues to do so until exiting the level.
This definitely does not happen on PAL. Anything earlier than beta 3 is untested with this episode and not recommended. Hopefully you won't run into trouble or errors later.

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:31 pm

oh nice you included my comment but
doesn't it contain a spoiler, friendo?
also I MIGHT do a recorded playthrough of this, once I get my hands on a recording device that doesn't have a ridiculous time limit or lags my computer.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:23 am

8lue Storm wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:31 pm
doesn't it contain a spoiler, friendo?
Yes, but vague enough. ;)

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:12 am

I can see you improved a lot over your last episode, the puzzles seem a lot more interesting and unique than the in the last game. Well done.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:45 pm

MegaDood wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:12 am
I can see you improved a lot over your last episode, the puzzles seem a lot more interesting and unique than the in the last game. Well done.
Thanks. The first episode was more of a platformer anyway.

The download has been updated. A total of twelve levels were hotfixed or slightly changed.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:15 am

Currently extracting the contents of the zip file, it seems that the episode still makes use of .GIFs for graphics (e.g. the blocks appear to be gifs). As a result the total size of the folder is quite a bit larger than what it could be.
Anyway, if the difficulty has been lowered then I'll probably end up enjoying this episode more than Enigmatic 1. I love how much you can come up with that fits inside the space of a single screen!
BTW, are you planning to make any other episodes soon? I absolutely loved Mario Prime and Enigmatic 1, and you're a really talented puzzle level designer!

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:15 am
Currently extracting the contents of the zip file, it seems that the episode still makes use of .GIFs for graphics (e.g. the blocks appear to be gifs). As a result the total size of the folder is quite a bit larger than what it could be.
Anyway, if the difficulty has been lowered then I'll probably end up enjoying this episode more than Enigmatic 1. I love how much you can come up with that fits inside the space of a single screen!
BTW, are you planning to make any other episodes soon? I absolutely loved Mario Prime and Enigmatic 1, and you're a really talented puzzle level designer!
Yeah, the graphics are mostly .gifs. Did not change them mostly because disk space and download times don't cause big problems today.
I'll most likely start working with SMBX again once Beta 4 is out. Until that happens, I'm taking a break. Thanks for the compliments and hope you enjoy the episode.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Super Mario Enigmatic 2 (SMBX2)

Postby Reign » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 am

The episode has been updated to work with SMBX2 Beta 4.

LooKiCH
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby LooKiCH » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:22 am

in some levels there are several overdubs of other music on top of the main music

Added in 6 hours 38 minutes 44 seconds:
LooKiCH wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:22 am
in some levels there are several overdubs of other music on top of the main music
and I understood what the bug is, it is only present in beta 4 if you create a level, and put at least one deprecated podoboo there and put the lava.mp3 music file next to the level file, you don’t even need to specify the lava.mp3 music file in the section, and even if there is no music in the section, the same track will still overlap endlessly, this can be fixed, firstly, convert the level to a .lvlx file and replace all deprecated podoboos with new podoboos, the script of which was rewritten for smbx2 beta 4

UPD: such a bug happens not only because of deprecated podoboos, so you don't have to waste time replacing podoboo (although this is desirable), just rename the lava.mp3 music, for example, to lavaland.mp3

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:03 pm

To those who are wondering why the problem is happening, it's more because of SMBX2's new sound replacement system, because lava.mp3 is a filename that is shared with the same sound effect for Podoboos jumping out of lava, named also as "lava.ogg". In that case, the game thinks the song itself replaces the lava sound effect, and as such this is something that should be avoided in most cases when setting up audio files in SMBX2 levels. A simple file rename would do the trick as what LooKiCH said.

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Reign » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:14 am

Thank you for the info, I'll look into it.

Return to “Episodes”