How Bowser Stole Christmas: A Christmas Minisode (THE FINAL UPDATE)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Multiversal Traveller/Prismverse's God of Creation
Pronouns: he/him

How Bowser Stole Christmas: A Christmas Minisode (THE FINAL UPDATE)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Hello everybody! I am here with a completed episode! Well, not exactly an episode, but a minisode, themed around Christmas!

Ladies and gentleman, I present you: HOW BOWSER STOLE CHRISTMAS: A Christmas Minisode!

A NEW UPDATE HAS FINALLY DROPPED ONTO THIS MINISODE! CHECK THE LATEST REPLY TO FIND OUT!!!

ABOUT THE PROJECT:

How Bowser Stole Christmas is inspired by How The Grinch Stole Christmas in terms of the name, but is based on Mario's universe. Explore 24 short/moderate-sized levels themed around winter and snow! Get through 4 worlds that winter is dominant at this time! Defeat Bowser's frozen allies and save Christmas! This episode is themed around SMSE's gameplay: Usage of hubs and exits that take you to the hub. This project is a collaborative work of me and georgespezi12. (AKA gbradley231)

STORY:

It's Christmas in Mushroom Kingdom! All trees are set up, presents are ready and the only thing left is to place the Christmas Star: a star-shaped artifact that appears in Christmas Eve and placed onto the largest tree in the Mushroom Kingdom. When placed, it grants everyone a wish that can come true!

But of course, the mean naughty koopa Bowser also knew about this, and he invades Mushroom Kingdom yet again, but this time, he snatches the Christmas Star and the presents to ruin everyone but his Christmas! It's up to our loyal and heroic brothers to go forth and save the Christmas yet again!

WORLDS:

WORLD 1: Frosty Plains

WORLD 2: Boreal Forest

WORLD 3: Jolly Mountains

WORLD 4: Lavafrost Badlands

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler: show

CREDITS:
- Airship (For the pipes)
- Hani (for the snowy hills, and Turret 3471 for ripping them and make them usable!)
- MrDoubleA (for his NPCs, littledialogue.lua and ExtraNPCProperties.lua!)
- Hatsune Blake (For his Minimalistic HUD!)
- MegaDood and Friends (for their MFGG graphics pack! Also MegaDood for his NPCs too!)
- SanS1m0n (For his GFX pack!)
- Benial (For the spouts!)
- Nintendo (For most of the music used)
- Toby Fox (For Deltarune music)
- Scott Lloyd Shelly (For Terraria music)
AND MORE!
DOWNLOAD LINK:
Have fun, and merry/happy Christmas to all! (Also happy new year!)
Last edited by Suckerman7 GM on Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:29 am, edited 11 times in total.

Josh starr 891
Spiny
Spiny

Re: How Bowser Stole Christmas: A Christmas Minisode

Postby Josh starr 891 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:43 pm

What Suoer Mario Bros x version is this for??

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Josh starr 891 wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:43 pm
What Suoer Mario Bros x version is this for??
Oh, it is for 2.0.

litchh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby litchh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:28 am

The concept of episode is kinda odd.
Here's 4 Worlds with several levels in each. But only one level includes star. So player needs complete only one castle to proceed.
Also check warps in your episode. Player unexpectedly spawns in World 1 near the Level 5 for some reason and exit from the bonus room on Level 2 (cave one) has wrong direction.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:31 am

litchh wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:28 am
The concept of episode is kinda odd.
Here's 4 Worlds with several levels in each. But only one level includes star. So player needs complete only one castle to proceed.
Also check warps in your episode. Player unexpectedly spawns in World 1 near the Level 5 for some reason and exit from the bonus room on Level 2 (cave one) has wrong direction.
I see. It seems I gotta make a hotfix. But weird how nobody complained about this until you did is also odd.

Also, this is a shorter episode, so there are several levels. Also, this minisode is made for fun, so there may not be too great levels made, as well as long levels.
Last edited by Suckerman7 GM on Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

litchh
Eerie
Eerie

Postby litchh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 am

I guess people didn't play till now.
As for me I was going to start earlier but had a lot things to do.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:35 am

litchh wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 am
I guess people didn't play till now.
As for me I was going to start earlier but had a lot things to do.
Well, thanks for the feedback at least. I am currently finding the issues you told me about.

EDIT: Fixed all issues you encountered so far, and I'm making a hotfix file for them.

EDIT 2: Hotfix 2 is released.

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: How Bowser Stole Christmas: A Christmas Minisode (Hotfix 3 is out)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:09 am

Third patch of How Bowser Stole Christmas is out! It fixes many things and a new intro level is accessible! Also, new lua scripts (Powerup Guard and Warp Transition) are ingame!

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: How Bowser Stole Christmas: A Christmas Minisode (THE FINAL UPDATE)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:44 pm

Hey everyone! As 2021 closes, I decided to close off the year with a surprise: One last update to this minisode!

Yes, How Bowser Stole Christmas has received its long-awaited final update. I've been working on this for a few months... And wanted to do it 1-2 months after the episode's initial release...

I wasn't too satisfied with the level design in general. It felt rushed, there were bugs, I knew I could do better. So I decided to use all I've learned this year into this and the result turned out to be much better! And I hope you'll enjoy it even more!

So what exactly has changed? Here is the list below:
- Almost every level had gone through a major revamp, from ground-up. These levels had their setups changed, new gimmicks are added to them etc. Basically, the levels are 100% improved in general!
- A lot of scripts have been added! From DoubleA's littledialogue to Hatsune Blake's Minimalist HUD, the quality of life stuff added has been increased to make sure the episode is still enjoyable! (I also added small codes of my own too!)
- Some levels had their music changed. Levels using the same music/some music in levels didn't satisfy me at all, so I chose to look for music I wanted to use in the first place!
- A sweet post-game secret has been added! Check the mysterious door at the right to find out, after you beat Bowser, of course!
And more!
Once again, I thank people who played the old versions in the past, and reported bugs about them! I wouldn't fix stuff without people reporting me of them, and I feel more happier with this update's outcome in the end!

Here's the download link:
As always, happy past Christmas and happy new year!

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:46 pm

After a day of revision, I've finally released a Day 1 Patch for the update!

Here are the changes listed below:
- Fixed the code where the player always starts Big Mario.
- Made Springhatter/Spikehatters immune to powerups.
- Reduced difficulty on Chilly Fortress.
- Moved the two paratroopas slightly to the right in Springy Spruces.
- Added missing effects of default bros.
- Rearranged some spinning platforms and extend the slide in the first section of Shiverwood Ridge.
- Changed the warp direction of Glacier Burrow entrance.
- Put a checkpoint before the Star Shard area in Freezeflame Subterrane.
- Fixed broken autoscroll in Antimas Armada.
- Added some enemies to Snowtop Volcano and fixed the silence music issue.
- Made the snowball launchers during Bowser battle homing.
- Added missing effect to Ice Podoboos.
- Fixed SaveData Code.
You can download it at the downloads part of the thread. (Replace all the files in the episode with the ones in patch file.)

Suckerman7 GM
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:29 am

Hey y'all! I know it's been a month, but I decided to update the episode again, although it's still a patch. But this time, instead of adding a separate patch download, I updated the episode file instead. In that case, the Patch 1 file is now outdated and will be removed momentarily.

So, here are the list of stuff that were patched:
- Fixed a bug with the SaveData variable for post-Bowser. Now there shouldn't be any issues regarding this problem.
- Added a checkpoint to Springy Spruces.
- Added extra ice bricks into a portion of Aurora Groves, to add more chances to kill giant plants.
- Made the snowballs thrown by Snow Spikes ungrabable in Glacial Bunker. (They can be used to accidentally kill flying Bumpties, which causes a softlock.
- Added spikes in one section of Freezeflame Subterrane to let the player kill themselves if they get stuck.
- Made the cannonballs in Antimas Armada's interior segment to fire faster cannonballs less frequent, to prevent the common occurrence of an infinite 1-Up trick.
The download is in the main thread.

Return to “Episodes”