The SMBX Preservation Archive - Hello old SMBX stuff!

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

The SMBX Preservation Archive - Hello old SMBX stuff!

Postby Luna » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:00 am

SMBX Preservation Archive

As services like Google Drive and MediaFire are deleting files if the original uploader has been inactive for a long time, many files are lost over time. Since many SMBX users rely on services like them, this raises the question of what will happen as more users leave the community or lose access to their accounts. Even by now, many episodes are no longer publicly accessible as the original download link is no longer available.
For this reason, _FyreNova started a movement to archive as many episodes, levels, graphics and scripts as possible. Thanks to Wohlstand, they are now accessible through a singular archive.

This archive is publicly accessible over this link.

Navigation:

The episodes are categorised by the engine they were released for. This means that if you are looking for a SMBX 1.3 episode, you can find them in the SMBX 1.3 category. If an engine is compatible with another one, it is listed below the engine it is compatible with. For example, SMBX2 is fully compatible with SMBX 1.3 episodes, so it is listed below the 1.3 section. If you are looking for standalone episodes, you may check out the Packed games section. If you choose a section, you will find a collection of completed episodes. In case you are looking for demos or standalone levels, you can find them in the folders at the top of each section.
If you are looking for Assets such as graphics or scripts, you can find them in the Assets category or in Squishy Rex's Assets Archive.
The Other category contains a lot of other things, including community images, screenshots, or additional programs.

Most episodes, levels, graphic etc. also have a text file that contains additional information, such as their original creator. Unfortunately, not all archived files could be traced back, so some of them are missing this information.

If you want to get in contact with the team, you can join this Discord server.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: The SMBX Preservation Archive - Hello old SMBX stuff!

Postby FutureNyanCat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:16 am

Given how integral this preservation archive is to preserving the long history of SMBX so far, this has to be stickied in all my honesty. There's a lot of stuff I'd want to look back at from our glory days at the forums.

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby ElTipsta » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:25 am

Definitely second sticking this. There's so much cool stuff in here I didn't know existed.

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:45 am

Definitely third sticking this.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Splatoon 3: Side Order enthusiast
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:44 am

I fourth sticking this, this is a genius way to organize and save old SMBX files

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:21 am

Super happy this exists, and that SMBX history is being preserved in this way these days. I'll sticky the thread.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Luna » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:25 pm

I'd like to add one thing:
If you find an episode that is missing from the archive, feel free to contact the team (Discord is probably the easiest way).

jumpykrusty
Koopa
Koopa

Postby jumpykrusty » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:24 am

This is amazing. Maintaining this history and archiving games and assets are so important for game preservation, and I gratefully applaud the team for creating this repository.

Have you considered uploading this to the Internet Archive for longer-term reliable archiving? It could take a lot of the work off your hands, and many games are already successfully archived there for posterity.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:07 pm

This is a fantastic archive and is much appreciated, thank you to the archivists! It makes me wonder how much lost content is floating around on sites people used to commonly use for sharing, and how much can be discovered and put into the archive through some deeper searching.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Luna » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Danny wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:07 pm
This is a fantastic archive and is much appreciated, thank you to the archivists! It makes me wonder how much lost content is floating around on sites people used to commonly use for sharing, and how much can be discovered and put into the archive through some deeper searching.
It is very likely that a lot of content is still missing from this archive. Personally, most of the content I uploaded were episodes I had on my own hard drive (which was great as it also gave me the opportunity to clean up my hard drive) as well as new content - mainly on the forums as well as on Wohlstand's forums, but also some episodes that were only released on external sites such as YouTube and RPGMaker.net.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:05 pm

DerEric wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:47 pm
Danny wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:07 pm
It is very likely that a lot of content is still missing from this archive. Personally, most of the content I uploaded were episodes I had on my own hard drive (which was great as it also gave me the opportunity to clean up my hard drive) as well as new content - mainly on the forums as well as on Wohlstand's forums, but also some episodes that were only released on external sites such as YouTube and RPGMaker.net.
Oh, for sure. I've always been meaning to personally go through all of my files that date 10+ years back to see what I can find and possibly archive, but I always forget about it. I know 4shared and MediaFire were two of the most utilized file hosts back in the day, and there were even some archival dumps on Pastebin that I can kind of recall, I wonder how hard it would be to attempt to retrieve those sorts of links, or if they have anything to actually offer?

A lot of places that don't get touched on in regards to SMBX archival that come to mind for me would be TrekWeb, SMBX: Revived, Cloudforums, and NSMBX. I'd love to see things dug up from those eras is possible, and I'll have to go through all of my files in case there's anything that can be contributed. Again, thanks to the archivists for this!

Mike14264
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mike14264 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Say, are the old Luigikid's Adventure games in there? I know Luigikid's videos have links to the respective games, but only two a those are actually available, the first and second ones. I can't find the third and fourth ones anywhere.

MarchTo49
Spiny
Spiny
Pronouns: They/them

Postby MarchTo49 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:32 am

How can I add my stuffs on the archives?

TheArtOfBlood
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: they/them

Postby TheArtOfBlood » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:03 pm

Awesome. Great to have something like this.

Anthonity
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: no idea
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Anthonity » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:57 am

I used to play this game a lot when I was younger. I have tons of episodes on my old laptop, but getting them out will be challenge, as the thing takes like 20 minutes to boot up

frankesh
Goomba
Goomba

Postby frankesh » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:55 am

Anyone knows where I could find "Super Mario 32 Ep.2 The town and the time"?

Return to “Episodes”