SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Share and discuss custom LunaLua code and content packs for SMBX2.
ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Re: SMBX2 BETA 4 Release - Feedback and Suggestions here!

Postby ben » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:01 pm

After installing the latest version of SMBX 2 with a friend on his computer in germany, I thought I saw more text in german in the level - editor than in the level - editor in the version 1.3.0.1.

We used the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=25151#p364383&t=16814

I suspect that it may be that the language that is the national language of a country makes up the majority of the language in the editor of SMBX 2, in which country this software was downloaded from the internet and installed.

I would like to ask you friendly what you can tell me about my assumption. :)
Last edited by ben on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:57 pm

There's actually language support in the new editor! (PGE, used in SMBX2 as the main level editor). You can change the language by going to Help tab -> Language.

MisterZygarde64
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MisterZygarde64 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 am

I really like the update here, I just have a complaint about the base game itself. I honest to god hate the title screen here. Rather than have several characters running through a level set to a specific track. It's just.... a random background from the base game.... set to random default music that will likely be unfitting. I really want some help changing it since I feel that simply recycling the first level of The Invasion 2 would've been better than just doing a random background to random music.

ShadowXeldron
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: phpBB > ProBoards

Postby ShadowXeldron » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 am

MisterZygarde64 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:15 am
I really like the update here, I just have a complaint about the base game itself. I honest to god hate the title screen here. Rather than have several characters running through a level set to a specific track. It's just.... a random background from the base game.... set to random default music that will likely be unfitting. I really want some help changing it since I feel that simply recycling the first level of The Invasion 2 would've been better than just doing a random background to random music.
Get any 1.3 level, rename it to intro.lvl, then open the intro folder and delete the luna.lua. I did it and it actually loaded way quicker.

Actually, they are removing the tile screen in favour of just booting you out into the launcher. I have no idea why, though.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:07 am

Dragon0307 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 am
Actually, they are removing the tile screen in favour of just booting you out into the launcher. I have no idea why, though.
Because the title screen isn't expandable, is inherently buggy, and ingame title screens for an episode are possible to make if desired.
The only feature currently not covered by the launcher is battle mode, which is going to return in form of an episode, similar to mario challenge.

Zaturno Dominicano
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: ...............
Pronouns: Nothing

Postby Zaturno Dominicano » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:23 pm
Spoiler: show

Hey all!
The storm of preview builds is over and we're back to regularly scheduled builds appropriate for making episodes with.

There's way too many changes to list them all, so I'll just copypaste stuff and let you read the changelog and blog post.

DOWNLOAD
As usual, first link down. Now there's a bright border, too!
http://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/downloads.html

INSTALLATION
The installer is directly created from a ZIP archive of our repository and will deploy the project into the directory you specify. The package will be installed to “$TARGETDIR/SMBX2”, but you’re free to change the name of the folder afterwards.

HOW TO UPDATE
Some stuff broke in the conversion. The newest blog post details what might break and how to combat it. Sorry!
http://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/blog/2020/0 ... to-update/

CHANGELOG
Every change since PAL is detailed here:
http://codehaus.wohlsoft.ru/changelogs/beta4.html

BUGS
This time around, please use the button in the lower right corner of the launcher to report bugs. They'll be sent to us by E-Mail, ensuring that we get them!

HANDBOOK
The handbook still exists! We're looking into making a proper documentation in the coming months, but for now the handbook has been updated with new info:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uOd ... sp=sharing

LUA TUTORIALS
The lua tutorials still exist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eONYCNMzI_

Thanks from the entire SMBX2 Dev Team!
Could you turn the episode feature into a macro feature for the world map files in the level editor?

I mean, either in a new update implement the possibility to make several (more than 1) world.wld files to be inserted into a single episode so that users who want to publish episodes can insert world map graphics (Tiles, Scenes, Music, Path, levels) in a more unlimited way replacing most of the graphics without the need of the other worlds. Making that several world map files are in 1 single episode (i.e. that the world.wld files do not play the role of episode and the worlds are each of the several islands that are created within that file, but that the episode is a component that encompasses a set of world map files so that you can create the worlds of an episode in a more creative way.

It is a contribution to the developers of super mario bros x. to implement this feature to this famous and great fangame.
Last edited by ElectriKong on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoilered long quote

Jumper
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Jumper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Zaturno Dominicano wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:12 pm
Could you turn the episode feature into a macro feature for the world map files in the level editor?

I mean, either in a new update implement the possibility to make several (more than 1) world.wld files to be inserted into a single episode so that users who want to publish episodes can insert world map graphics (Tiles, Scenes, Music, Path, levels) in a more unlimited way replacing most of the graphics without the need of the other worlds. Making that several world map files are in 1 single episode (i.e. that the world.wld files do not play the role of episode and the worlds are each of the several islands that are created within that file, but that the episode is a component that encompasses a set of world map files so that you can create the worlds of an episode in a more creative way.

It is a contribution to the developers of super mario bros x. to implement this feature to this famous and great fangame.
While I do support this idea, I have doubts of my own (mostly because I think it's Hardcoded into the Engine itself).

Also, why'd you quote the post when it has nothing to do with your request? There is no need.

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 pm

For having more graphics per world, I believe something is coming, but in the meantime, you can do what the last overworld contest winner did and replace tiles with large prerendered images.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus

Postby FutureNyanCat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:54 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 pm
For having more graphics per world, I believe something is coming, but in the meantime, you can do what the last overworld contest winner did and replace tiles with large prerendered images.
If I remember correctly this was also done for the SMBX Level Contest Japan world map.

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:07 pm

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:57 pm
There's actually language support in the new editor! (PGE, used in SMBX2 as the main level editor). You can change the language by going to Help tab -> Language.
Thank you FutureNyanCat2014. :)

Zaturno Dominicano
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: ...............
Pronouns: Nothing

Postby Zaturno Dominicano » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:24 am

Wiimeiser wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:48 pm
Do you know the user name and the name of their world map project for that contest? ¿To take it as an example?

Wiimeiser
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: What?

Postby Wiimeiser » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:42 pm

The name of the world is "Colorful Craftlands", not sure who made it.

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones

Postby Marioman2007 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:34 pm

Wiimeiser wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:42 pm
The name of the world is "Colorful Craftlands", not sure who made it.
8luestorm

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 am

Why is the next beta/patch so slow?!

Marioman2007
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Dr. Bones

Postby Marioman2007 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 am

lan vuhoang wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 am

People have their own personal lives to deal with
the devs also work on their own projects
so it's obvious that progress will be slow.

ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby ben » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:03 pm

lan vuhoang wrote:
Hello lan vuhoang. :)

As far as I know, the next major release of SMBX 2 will be the full version of SMBX 2.

I quote from the following link:

"As of the new system, this version is 2.0.0.b4, and the next major release will be 2.0.0. That’s right: the full release of the engine. There will be no Beta 5."

On the following link you can find more information:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =568611324

lan vuhoang
Bit
Bit

Postby lan vuhoang » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:36 pm

ben wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:03 pm
lan vuhoang wrote:

As far as I know, the next major release of SMBX 2 will be the full version of SMBX 2.

"As of the new system, this version is 2.0.0.b4, and the next major release will be 2.0.0. That’s right: the full release of the engine. There will be no Beta 5."

But couldn't you just give us something else in that time? Like SMBX2b4p5?

Lunar Chris
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Moon Lord's Servant

Postby Lunar Chris » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 pm

lan vuhoang wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:36 pm
ben wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:03 pm
lan vuhoang wrote:

But couldn't you just give us something else in that time? Like SMBX2b4p5?
Perhaps the devs just want to finish the game and give us the full release sooner. Maybe they're adding new stuff and tweaking all kinds of features for the engine, which also explains why development has taken much longer than imagined.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:08 am

Development is taking long because everyone unexpectedly got really busy with other things. It's also not like the decision not to have a Beta 5 would delay the full release, but rather that we realized the beta naming scheme is kind of arbitrary with how stable these releases have become. Full release was never going to be the last one, anyway.

Lunar Chris
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Moon Lord's Servant

Postby Lunar Chris » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:39 pm

If I may, perhaps I can offer a few suggestions:
  • Star Coin Doors: Just like how you unlock doors by collecting a certain number of stars. The value set is the total number of star coins needed to open the door. It would offer another option of progression besides stars.
  • Some More Bosses (for the sake of convenience): Flying Boom Boom and the remaining Koopalings from SMB3, Iggy/Larry and Morton/Roy from SMW, Crocomire and Ridley (Possibly) from Super Metroid, Carock, Mazura, and Thunderbird from Zelda 2, Baby Bowser (First Form) from Yoshi's Island.
  • A toggle option for spin jump: For those who want to make levels without the ability to spin jump.
  • Camera Lock system for World Map editor
  • An option for infinite lives for your episode
  • An option for an SMB3 Styled Map System
IDK If y'all been working on any of these, but it would be cool nonetheless. Regardless, I can't wait to see what the full release has in store.

Return to “LunaLua”