The Imperfect Foyer (Update 3.2)

Subforum for the SMBX Chocolate Level Contest 2021.
Jur1121
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: A salt enthusiast
Pronouns: he/him

The Imperfect Foyer (Update 3.2)

Postby Jur1121 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 am

Hello. A new face here testing their mettle. I've known SMBX for years but finally I decided to actually upload something.

This is The Imperfect Foyer. 2 checkpoint tapes long with an abstract castle setting.

Screenshots: show
Download link (Update 3.2):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zQGFB7 ... sp=sharing

Changelog: show
July 24th

- Initial release

Update 1, July 26th

- Added some Dry Bones and their Thrower variants to fit better with the castle setting. Omitted some old enemies to make way.
- Slightly modified enemy NPC graphics to fit better with the setting.
- Slightly reworked some platforming parts.
- The large orbit system in the midway hall was made slightly faster.

Simon Says is supposed to act like a Fortress boss like a Boom-Boom from SMB3 or Reznor from SMW albeit with vastly different mechanics. I did the following changes to help with that:
- Reworked the areas before and after Simon Says.
- Enhanced Simon's dialogue.
- Added an extra "Simon Says, ..." to the part where the Player needs to hop on the platforms mid-fight.

Update 2, July 29th

- Added a hidden Power Star along with a new hidden Section for it.
- Platform orbits now cease movement during a powerup transition.
- More reworks to some plain platforming parts.
- Slightly reduced the brightness of the Simon Says backgrounds. They will also appear shut-off before and after the minigame.

Update 3, August 1st

- Completely reworked the section where you obtain the Star. The general location stays the same.
- Couple of minor platforming adjustments.

Update 3.1, August 8th

- Made the background grid image component much larger so the grids won't consist of so many individual components.
- Added some more BGOs in some empty areas.
- Minor adjustments to the final lineguide part.

Update 3.2, August 14th

- Some clarifications in a couple of Simon commands.
- Script restructuring for the final submission.

To avoid confusion: This is the standalone version of the level. It contains the CCX2021 libraries and my username in the readmes, both of which are discouraged in the rules, so this folder won't be used in the actual submission. The level will be the same, of course.

I've tested this level quite extensively but any feedback is much appreciated. Is the level a little too short or just right? Any crashes, inconsistencies, typos or strange happenings? Does something just look off or could be much better?
Last edited by Jur1121 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:41 am, edited 14 times in total.

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Re: The Imperfect Foyer

Postby cato » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Very interesting level with radio discs of different orbital speeds and radius. Enjl did something similar in his episode Subzero Heroes. The level is called Orbital Cliffside.

It is quite a standard level. The enemies are bland for the atmosphere given that it takes place in a dark foyer. There are also some more ideas for the radio discs, like setting up a room where they rotate while you have to dodge them. Or you can set them up like you have to dodge the whole orbit of the discs if the radius is too small.

The Simon says the segment is quite unexpected. There are no Lua errors or problems when I played the level. However, it feels out of place. It can get confusing, especially when players when told to "Get on the platforms" without the words, "Simon says". I like the rules design. It feels clean and precise. Maybe I should try that in the future.

Jur1121
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Jur1121 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:11 pm

cato wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:55 pm
Thanks for the great feedback. The platform thing is a good point; I'll try rewording that for the final submission and possibly put an update here later. I also feared the whole minigame was a little sudden after all that platforming, maybe I'll think of something to streamline that.

Not sure what to do with the enemy roster though. I'll probably do minor graphical tweaks or experiment with some different enemies and rework parts accordingly.

Jur1121
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Jur1121 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:04 am

Update 1
I pushed a new update for the level. The changes focus on the feedback I've gotten so far along with some other minor things. This includes some Simon Says changes along with some graphical edits. I also introduced some new enemies.

I've updated the download link in the original post, so you can get it from there. I also added a changelog to keep track of changes.

A look on some of the newly enhanced enemies:
Update 1 screenshot: show

I'm still not sure if the level is a little too short. I have some more obstacle ideas but I'm reluctant to add more content. The level takes about 5-8 minutes to beat depending on player skill when coming in blind. A speedrun time would be about 2 minutes and 15-30 seconds.

Thanks everyone for playing, and I'm always open to more feedback :D

Jur1121
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Jur1121 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm

Update 2

There is now a secret to be found, an optional collectible Star has emerged somewhere in a hidden place. I also reworked some of the weakest parts of the level but I tried not to make the level longer overall. The download link in the original post has been updated.

The screenshots in the original post are updated too as the previous ones still showed old content

I feel like the last update is fast approaching. This might even be the final version if I don't have some new relevations, or spot some bugs or oversights. After all, there's plenty of good time remaining.

EDIT: Update 3

I got a new idea for the section with the Star, so this update will provide that overhaul. Not much else, so I didn't want to make a whole new post. Download link is updated in the original post, as always.

Update 3 screenshot: show
I feel an irresistible urge to jump in between that...

Update 3.1

This might mark the last update unless I find a fatal bug. Any further minor things such as a missing BGO will be stealth-updated. This update includes the final polish I could do when checking the level through one more time. Download link updated in the original post.

Return to “ChoccyCon 2021”