Diorama Contest 2021 - Rules, Questions, Discussion

Forum for the 2021 February Contest, which is about Dioramas!

Moderator: Event Organizers

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Diorama Contest 2021 - Rules, Questions, Discussion

Postby Emral » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:09 am

The submission period is from runs from February 5th (when the thread goes up) to February 28th 6PM GMT

The contest's theme is
Dioramas!
Now hold up! Dioramas? What does that mean exactly? Do we have to MAKE a diorama or USE a diorama?
What you will be doing in this contest is using a diorama for inspiration for your level. As long as you used elements from the diorama you have chosen to shape your level, you are following the theme. These things can be elements you spot in the diorama (a specific building, setting or creature) [minor adherence] to replicating and iterating upon the mood or setting set by the diorama in your level [major adherence].
What dioramas can I use?
You can use whatever diorama you like! However, since we don't expect you to know dioramas or know how to find dioramas, we sourced a couple for you that you might find interesting.

Sample Dioramas:
Spoiler: show

If you have any further questions regarding the theme, don't hesitate to ask! Please read submissions thread and the remainder of this thread beforehand, on the off-chance the question is answered already, though!

SUBMISSION
Please submit your level over here. Submissions guidelines can be found there, too! I encourage all to read the submissions guidelines before beginning participation.

Further info about the contest in the spoiler tags below:

RULES
- This level contest has a theme, meaning the levels will be (in part) scored based on how well they adhere to that theme.
- The results will be released a couple of weeks after the submission period ends. An episode with all submissions will follow shortly.
- You can submit only one level! This level also must not be stolen or violate any other rules (be it forum or contest rules)
- Teams are allowed, cooperation is encouraged
- SMBX38A and SMR are disallowed. The most recent version of SMBX2 (Beta 4 patch 3.1) is encouraged and will be used by the judges when playing the levels.
- You may use lua, any characters you like, and any exit types you like. Bowser end game flags will be removed if we find them.
- You may have up to 1 secret exit. However, please consider that secret exits are difficult to properly pull off and are prone to detracting from the overall experience. If you choose to include one, please make extra sure that it contributes positively to your level.
- Please make sure your music paths work. This is most easily guaranteed by not shuffling file paths and folder names around before submission.
- You may not use palace switches.
- Disqualifications will be handed out if....
-- It's very obvious that no attempt was made
-- The level is not by the author
-- The level is unbeatable or unreasonably difficult (the judges decide this)
-- The level contains crude or offensive content
LUA RULES
- Please try to avoid warning popups. They're tedous to click through and make dying in the level frustrating!
- Test your level for lua errors. They're even more tedious, and maybe breaking!!!
- To avoid GameData and SaveData conflicts, initialize them as such:

Code: Select all

SaveData[Level.filename()] = SaveData[Level.filename()] or {}
GameData[Level.filename()] = GameData[Level.filename()] or {}

local saveData = SaveData[Level.filename()]
local gameData = GameData[Level.filename()]

JUDGING + RUBRIC
Our judges for this contest are Sancles, ShadowStarX and Walder. Send a friendly gesture their way!
All three of them will judge your levels based on the following metric:

Design - 15 Points: This includes difficulty curve, fairness and structure.
Creativity Concept - 5 Points: How creative are the ideas put forth? This is independent of how well they are executed. Are concepts from the diorama noticable?
Creativity Execution - 10 Points: How well are the creative ideas in the level executed?
Aesthetics - 10 Points: How nice does it look? Is the resemblance to the chosen diorama noticable?
Fun - 5 Points: How much did the judge enjoy the level? Wildcard category.
Functionality - 5 Points: This is a penalty category. Your score will be a full 5 points unless technical difficulties such as softlocks, lag and outright crashes occur.

... for a combined total of 50 points!

REWARDS
- There will be badges crafted for the top 3 placements.
- Additionally, every participant has a chance to obtain individualized trophies handed out by the judges, similar to the trophies of the mystery contest.
- Trophies will be awarded based on stand-out performances, be it "highest score", "best story", "best aesthetics", "most funny" or anything else suitable. Even levels that get a low score can earn such trophies by having cool elements!
- Every trophy will be visually designed as a little nugget you can put into your signature. A little something to tell your future kids about.
- A single level can obtain multiple trophies.
Now get designing! Like previously mentioned, please reply here if there are any questions.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Re: Diorama Contest 2021 - Rules, Questions, Discussion

Postby Emral » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:15 am

Early signup pings:
Darkonius Mavakar wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:17 pm
FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:25 pm
chuckster wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:22 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:36 pm
8lue Storm wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:23 pm
MrCaves wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:44 pm
Harmon wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:00 pm

I'll sign up. If I have time, I'll try to make a level for this. There's a lot going on right now however.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:39 am

This contest feels a tad weird to me, but I can see what I can come up with.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:39 pm

Just about 2 weeks left for submissions! Even if you haven't started yet there's still plenty of time to get something done!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 am

One more week left for submissions! Go, go, go!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:54 pm

Just about 23 hours left as of writing this post. Just about time to finish your levels up and get them sent in!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:43 pm

15 more minutes until submissions close! If you fear you're not gonna make it, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Return to “Diorama Contest 2021”