Super Mario Khroma [New trailer available!]

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: anemoia

Super Mario Khroma [New trailer available!]

Postby Akromaly » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:06 am

I'm proud to present my very own SMBX2 project, Super Mario Khroma!
I started the concepting and development of the episode after the arrival of Beta 4, but the true work started in March when I actually started to make some levels. Now let's dive into it!

PLOT

Some kind of misterious force is depriving the whole Mushroom Kingdom of its lymph, making the beautiful landscapes of Peach's Castle become colorless. As always, first suspects go on Bowser, so our heroes go on a journey outside the Mushroom Kingdom to solve the problem, but looks like they won't be alone!

Here come the RGBlobs!
ImageImageImage

These cute little blobs are being trapped inside blocks. Free them to keep them into your drop item box and unleash their special abilities!

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler: show

SNEAK PEEKS
Spoiler: show

CREDITS

This project was made possible by the wonderful people who made custom scripts and graphics here, on Discord, on MFGG and SMWC, In the finished product, I'll include a complete list of the authors of the graphics I used or also edited.

And that's all for the first informations about my new project! If you want to stay tuned about the progress of the project, make sure to follow it on my Discord server and on my YouTube channel.

If you want to support the project. you can add the logo to your signature, I'd appreciate that!

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=25498][img]https://i.imgur.com/ptbhZkH.png[/img][/url]

TRAILER

(Note: not everything shown so far is final, since everything could be potentially changed and improved in the final product)
Last edited by Akromaly on Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:03 am, edited 9 times in total.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Super Mario Khroma

Postby Cedur » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:15 am

Coolio! Another really fascinating project on the board!

Does your world map have a star coin counter?

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:15 am
Coolio! Another really fascinating project on the board!

Does your world map have a star coin counter?
I haven't started work on the world map yet, so I don't know yet about how that counter works. Thanks though!

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:00 am

Players got a color revamp, with a more modern palette!

Stay tuned for an upcoming sneak peek!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:20 am

Personally not a fan of 'improvements' to the SMW player colours. They often look fairly bad in comparison, and this is no exception.

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am

Enjl wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:20 am
Personally not a fan of 'improvements' to the SMW player colours. They often look fairly bad in comparison, and this is no exception.
I liked the idea of making them match the colors they use nowadays, not entirely sure if I want to go back to the SMW palette (?) Sure If not everyone likes those modern palettes I can understand that, but ehhh that was more likely a choice based on personal taste.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:30 am

AndrewPixel wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am
Enjl wrote:
I liked the idea of making them match the colors they use nowadays, not entirely sure if I want to go back to the SMW palette (?) Sure If not everyone likes those modern palettes I can understand that, but ehhh that was more likely a choice based on personal taste.
It doesn't often work because the modern palette is lit through the lighting from a 3D environment. Even in the NSMB series. Soft lighting doesn't mesh well with pixel art that's often heavily characterized by contrast and hueshifts. Here, it definitely looks like you went color-picker on a Mario 3D model and then fill-tooled the SMW sprites, because I can hardly distinguish more than one color of each hue, because the saturation is very high and contrast very low, probably due to the soft lighting on the model.

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:30 am
AndrewPixel wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am
Enjl wrote:
It doesn't often work because the modern palette is lit through the lighting from a 3D environment. Even in the NSMB series. Soft lighting doesn't mesh well with pixel art that's often heavily characterized by contrast and hueshifts. Here, it definitely looks like you went color-picker on a Mario 3D model and then fill-tooled the SMW sprites, because I can hardly distinguish more than one color of each hue, because the saturation is very high and contrast very low, probably due to the soft lighting on the model.
Since in the end I noticed the problem you were talking about, and I highly want to try to make a modern palette fit into the project, I decided to slightly change it with a different one that seems to have more contrast, especially on the blue parts. Hope it improves it someway, if not I think I'll have to stick to the SMW palette.

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Sneak peek of World 1-1 is here!

João564
Goomba
Goomba

Postby João564 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:18 am

This project is overall really impressive, i am loving it so far. You managed to get some aesthetic feeling to the levels but with the same essence of smw to It, as i love seeying smw-styled projects. This project seems pretty unique and feels fresh with the colorful level design. I am looking foward for this.

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:34 am

João564 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:18 am
This project is overall really impressive, i am loving it so far. You managed to get some aesthetic feeling to the levels but with the same essence of smw to It, as i love seeying smw-styled projects. This project seems pretty unique and feels fresh with the colorful level design. I am looking foward for this.
Thanks man!

Sleepy Dee
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: waddle dee
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Sleepy Dee » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:54 am

This looks fresh, and gets my support. If you can make a support thing for signatures, I'll be sure to add it to mine! Good luck with this.

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Inferno_Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:54 am
This looks fresh, and gets my support. If you can make a support thing for signatures, I'll be sure to add it to mine! Good luck with this.

Thanks for the support, man! If you want some signature thingy you can use the checkpoint logo I'm using too

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=25498][img]https://i.imgur.com/ptbhZkH.png[/img][/url]

Chilly14
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: wash your hands and stay at home

Postby Chilly14 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Looks awesome, I support this project!

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 am

New sneak peek is out!

The Thwomp King
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish

Postby The Thwomp King » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Awesome sneak preview for this episode, and overall this seems really appealing. I definitely look forward to seeing the progress of this episode.

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Postby Chanceux2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:33 pm

man is there an support banner cuz I need to see it. Also, Putting this in NSMBX will see cool.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:02 am

First, the support banner is right on top, and there's a code for it too.

Second, there's not really a point in moving to NSMBX, this is an SMBX2 project, I have no idea where you got that from. For your information, NSMBX is not compatible with SMBX2-exclusive stuff (new assets and scripting)

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 am

Amazing project, I like how it has a special vibe to it, mainly the city like aesthetics that the logo and hud greatly enhances. And also the consistency of using only the SMW style. The trailer was fantastic and the boss battle suprised me when Bowser started to throw grolls towards the player, I assume this boss takes place in the groll level which connects stuff nicely. Good luck with your project! Also I saw you can play as kamek in the trailer, why didn't you add that to the playables list in your forum topic?

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby Akromaly » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:44 am

Eri7 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 am
Amazing project, I like how it has a special vibe to it, mainly the city like aesthetics that the logo and hud greatly enhances. And also the consistency of using only the SMW style. The trailer was fantastic and the boss battle suprised me when Bowser started to throw grolls towards the player, I assume this boss takes place in the groll level which connects stuff nicely. Good luck with your project! Also I saw you can play as kamek in the trailer, why didn't you add that to the playables list in your forum topic?
Thanks for the feedback!
I didn't specify all the playables because they're not going to be persistent characters you can play as, but only in particular levels, so I could change it anytime

Return to “Projects”