What is happening in your country?

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Bomb Kicker DX
Rex
Rex

Re: What is happening in your country?

Postby Bomb Kicker DX » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:49 pm

For some reason here at Brazil's north, the electricity bills here are one of the most expensive of the whole country, i gotta pay 400 BRL per month just for that (100 dollars), and they don't stop rising regardless where you are in Brazil, same thing about the fuel, it doesn't stop rising, meat is now more expensive (at least i'm don't need it to survive) and the president wants to privatize more companies (like the mails agency)

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:27 am

School delayed for 2 whole weeks because of the disease, adding to a total of 3 weeks in this term.
God, just think of the schedule this year, for either to teaching speed and mental preparation for future public exams.

Bomb Kicker DX
Rex
Rex

Postby Bomb Kicker DX » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:42 am

cato wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:27 am
School delayed for 2 whole weeks because of the disease, adding to a total of 3 weeks in this term.
God, just think of the schedule this year, for either to teaching speed and mental preparation for future public exams.
Are you talking about the Corona virus?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Bomb Kicker DX wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:42 am
cato wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:27 am
Are you talking about the Corona virus?
Yes, he's talking about the Corona virus.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:59 pm

The virus just reached Bavaria.

mechamind
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: You can set your mind to it!
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Postby mechamind » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:07 am

A case of the virus was detected hours ago in the Vancouver area.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:25 am

As a matter of fact, the world is panicking over a virus that is actually less threatening than flu. But we've been used to flu since ages so it doesn't dominate the headlines as much.

Keep in mind that Spanish flu killed about as many people as World War II.

cato
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Koishi enjoyer

Postby cato » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 am

Cedur wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:25 am
As a matter of fact, the world is panicking over a virus that is actually less threatening than flu. But we've been used to flu since ages so it doesn't dominate the headlines as much.
And to top it off, the government deliberately conceal it from the public media before being harshly criticized its censorships. While some people in my city who went to the extreme, are losing their sanity and disregard their own moral value.

Taking an example from a shop in Hong Kong that import face mask from Thailand. They are supposed to distribute face mask to doctors working on the front line. People are criticizing the shop for not selling face mask to them, even though the shop publicly stated their prioritisation in the social media platform.

You see, people are losing their mind for a mere virus that is less threatening than the SARs in 2002-2003. Not to mention that youngsters have been taken vaccines in their school years ago.
Edit: School is suspended for the entirety of February.

AggressivePeanut90
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: mexican bullshit

Postby AggressivePeanut90 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:09 pm

probably someone died today... thank you coronavirus

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:00 pm

AggressivePeanut90 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:09 pm
I mean it's normal to die (what a weird sentense this is). Speaking of coronas and viruses there have been over 300 people infected here in Ukraine. Some of them are healed and some... Well, rip.

mechamind
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: You can set your mind to it!
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Postby mechamind » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:38 pm

It feels like a mystery why the military is being deployed on the south side of the border to Canada.

1. Social media has already had the #NoCanadian trend wondering why anyone from Canada would want to cross the border during the COVID-19 outbreak.
2. Other comments assumed that Trump was trying to keep US residents from getting out.
3. Not a trend, but what happens to any US residents who were already here before the borders were closed, when they need to return south?

On a smaller note, a Vancouver area Tim Horton's restaurant had its license revoked for failure to comply with COVID-19 related capacity limits.

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Teemster2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:09 am

Cedur wrote:

Keep in mind that Spanish flu killed about as many people as World War II.
Yeah the flu is pretty bad and nobody really pays attention to it. As a kid I had the life threatening flu twice with a fever of 1.4.

The Coronavirus may be a pandemic but I have read that a drug is healing everyone that uses it and it's being tried on many patients with the Coronavirus. I forget the name but that's good news.

Someone said every 9 minutes someone dies in New York City from various things. I never thought about how many people actually die every day on this planet. It's scary.

Added in 8 minutes 19 seconds:
AggressivePeanut90 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:09 pm
People die everyday on this planet. In NYC the Coronavirus has increased the average death toll by 5 people. It's still bad but you have to remember over 100 people die every day in NYC so 5 more average deaths don't change much.

Every 9 minutes a person dies in NYC. Every 4.4 minutes a baby is born in NYC.

Smoking, cancer, poor health, common flu, shootings, poor air etc all contribute to the deaths.

Added in 6 minutes 50 seconds:
cato wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 am
Cedur wrote:
You see, people are losing their mind for a mere virus that is less threatening than the SARs in 2002-2003. Not to mention that youngsters have been taken vaccines in their school years ago.
Edit: School is suspended for the entirety of February.
The media made everyone lose their minds in my oppinion.

Face masks won't stop the virus anyways. In America many people are getting it just by touching gas pump handles where the virus can live for like 24 hours I think. It's nice to see gas stations now sanitizing the pump handles.

Yet where I work hundreds of employees want the face mask every day thinking it will save them. We are almost out and getting no more as they are going to the hospitals so I tell people to make them last since I hand them out but they don't seem to care.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:33 am

Thank you for quoting a two month post of mine when I've been proven wrong long ago. Virologists have called for effective quarantine measures already at the end of February. People didn't care because they said "you can't do this to humanity and economy." Now we're at a point where we're still forced to do "all of this" AND the situation is far worse. If we started social distancing and separation a month ago, there would be less infected and dead, but now, we will take a lot longer until we recover from the pandemic.
Teemster2 wrote:In NYC the Coronavirus has increased the average death toll by 5 people. It's still bad but you have to remember over 100 people die every day in NYC so 5 more average deaths don't change much.

That is the present. The future outlook is definitely worse.
Teemster2 wrote:The Coronavirus may be a pandemic but I have read that a drug is healing everyone that uses it and it's being tried on many patients with the Coronavirus.

Wait and see. Scientists do warn against potential dangers of unexamined therapies.

Teemster2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Teemster2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:33 am
Thank you for quoting a two month post of mine when I've been proven wrong long ago. Virologists have called for effective quarantine measures already at the end of February. People didn't care because they said "you can't do this to humanity and economy." Now we're at a point where we're still forced to do "all of this" AND the situation is far worse. If we started social distancing and separation a month ago, there would be less infected and dead, but now, we will take a lot longer until we recover from the pandemic.
Teemster2 wrote:In NYC the Coronavirus has increased the average death toll by 5 people. It's still bad but you have to remember over 100 people die every day in NYC so 5 more average deaths don't change much.

That is the present. The future outlook is definitely worse.
Teemster2 wrote:The Coronavirus may be a pandemic but I have read that a drug is healing everyone that uses it and it's being tried on many patients with the Coronavirus.

Wait and see. Scientists do warn against potential dangers of unexamined therapies.
I thought I was responding to the latest post. I apologize if it was 2 months old.

Return to “Archives”