Projects changes

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(

Re: Projects changes

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:15 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am
So the only change is that rules are becoming obsolete?

If this is practiced in the way Shadowstar just did, it's cool; if it also includes new members posting "hey I've been working on Super Mario 128 X", it's not.
When you say "Super Mario 128 X" It reminds me of a project I was making and I said I canceled it because...

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:23 am

Cedur wrote:

If this is practiced in the way Shadowstar just did, it's cool; if it also includes new members posting "hey I've been working on Super Mario 128 X", it's not.
Both types are to be expected. The former types are likely to gain more interest, while for the latter such threads will either just get ignored (less likely), or members request more information (more likely, since it already happens to threads doing the bare minimum) about them leading to:
  1. The user providing this information, with the thread going through a transformation from the latter type to the former
  2. The user not providing this information and the thread ges on to be ignored

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:24 am

Chanceux2 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:15 am
Cedur wrote:

When you say "Super Mario 128 X" It reminds me of a project I was making and I said I canceled it because...

I used this as a generic name for many things that new members claimed with no evidence whatsoever, and they disappeared anyway, regardless whether their threads were locked or deleted, and they also disappear if other users make requests. I don't want to see any clutter of pointless threads; that's why the deletion was introduced some years ago, right?

Another idea that just popped in my head was to keep the rules and introduce a Concepts subforum.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:37 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:24 am
Another idea that just popped in my head was to keep the rules and introduce a Concepts subforum.
I think it has already been discussed why this shouldn't be implemented.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:24 am
I used this as a generic name for many things that new members claimed with no evidence whatsoever, and they disappeared anyway, regardless whether their threads were locked or deleted, and they also disappear if other users make requests. I don't want to see any clutter of pointless threads; that's why the deletion was introduced some years ago, right?
I maintain my stance that I think the projects forum should cater towards enabling project creators to express themselves freely and improve. I'm sorry but I cannot take your complaints seriously for as long as you're not someone affected by the implementation of what you suggest. Since it has previously been said that screenshots are often crossposted to discord (and perhaps the screenshot thread), I can't think of how more threads with perhaps less screenshots on average would absolutely ruin your precious viewing experience either. Not that it ought to be the point of the forum anyway.

If you do consider threads without progress to be pointless (which they're not, but I have explained this in previous posts so kindly read those), then where do you draw the line? What is the point at which there is a "point" to someone's effort? You seem to not think it to be when they take away something from the experience, so what is it?

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:56 pm

I should make another thread about STBX. The other one is... DEAD

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Chanceux2 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:56 pm

Making a second thread doesn't make things better.

(also expect a reply to Enjl later)

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:01 pm
Chanceux2 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:56 pm
Making a second thread doesn't make things better.
Then how do I make people REALLY WANNA PLAY STBX :?: I just need five more worlds then I'm done.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Chanceux2 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Then how do I make people REALLY WANNA PLAY STBX :?: I just need five more worlds then I'm done.
As for me, I like to play levels which look interesting to play. If you make a level that has an interesting idea backing it and you had fun making it, chances are I'll check it out. These ideas can be something simple like "I wanted to see what I could do with paddlewheels in SMBX2" or "Birdo as a regular enemy can make for some fun platforming"! While a level without a central concept won't excite me as much, I won't grow to dislike it when playing it unless it actively bores me (for example, if it's very repetitive or unfair). Thought on the flipside without something that catches my attention I might not even play it.

Chanceux2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Cedur wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:47 pm
I still haven't got to read into further detail (Corona drama is starting to destroy my mood).
I'm annoyed because of that

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Back to the original discussion. My point is not based around "screenshots vs no screenshots", it's based around differences of how seriously a person communicates their project thread. I just looked at a few threads from this subforum that were locked before the deletion rule was implemented, I hope I can communicate my point a bit better.

https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/ ... 90&t=17701 this is a horrible thread, I don't think this will be permissable under the new rules either, let alone bc it's not in English (and the user was online for a grand total of 18 minutes)

https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/ ... 90&t=23697 this is the common kind of thread I've been referring to all the time. It's highly incredible because there is not the tiniest bit of information. Everyone can make this statement, and most of the time I believe there's nothing behind it. (it was also the guy's only post)

https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/ ... 90&t=22457 this is a much better thread, the guy gave some info on the scope and style; the extended amount of writing compared to the upper thread makes it more credible.

https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/ ... 90&t=18754 this is also a better thread, even if the language and the listing of worlds is a bit lazy.

https://www.smbxgame.com/forums/ ... 90&t=17009 this is one of the best and most credible insta-locked threads I found.

So, the bottom three kinds of threads I'm okay with, in fact I welcome the possibility to present your concept without going through the hassle of screenshots, but it must be done thoroughly by all means. A simple claim like the second thread (or even a spam thread like the first one) doesn't even deserve to be called a "concept thread", in my opinion.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:53 pm

You're putting all of the weight on top of the original post. A primary goal of starting threads at the concept stage is leaving room for veterans and newcomers to share ideas and give feedback during a discussion that has the range of a project's development. There isn't much that isn't obvious spam that wouldn't count as a real concept. That's true for the rest of the forums as well by the way. If there's enough of a concept to get feedback then that's a legitimate concept thread. If a thread is "i'm gonna make levels :)" then yeah mod discretion would be taken into account. It's early to judge but the new concept threads have set a good example for the strengths of concept threads. Remember, before the rules completely focused on screenshots and it enabled the creation of an entirely bogus project as an example which you really can't do with a concept thread.

Return to “Events and Announcements”