The Super Mario Literature Competition (Cancelled)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

The Super Mario Literature Competition (Cancelled)

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:58 pm

Hello there, and welcome to...the Super Mario Literature Competition!

This is a competition I’m putting on that’s a chance to show off your writing capability and how it measures up. What is it that you’re writing you ask? Well, It’s all in the title.

So as such, all competitors are writing one of two things:
A Recursive Fic based off of the fanfiction Mosaic Adventures, using the currently introduced characters. Maybe give a read to figure out if you’re thinking of doing such.

Or…

A Mario-Based story of their choosing in which they’ll figure out the story, characters, etc. and write a single chapter story, and hey, if it gets you into writing fan stories, there’s no harm in making it a single part to a long term story.

Furthermore, if this contest goes well and enough interest is shown, I’ll look into doing contests like this and possibly allow a couple other series in the future.

The Rules
Breaking a red rule will disqualify you
Breaking an orange rule will penalize you by 10 points for each orange rule broken
Green Rules are things that are allowed in your entry

No Non Mario Based Stories
No Stealing and / or modifying Others' Work and submitting it
Keep Your story PG-13 at maximum
No working in teams of any more than two.
You may only submit one fic
, however, changing your entry is fine as long as the deadline hasn't passed

Please Submit On Time
Your story can be as long as you want, but please nothing ridiculous
Make atleast one reference to "Mosaic Adventures" if writing a Recursive fic and / or atleast one reference to canon if writing an original Mario Fic
No Joke or Meme Stories
While we won’t be nazis, please make sure your story has good grammer that can be read by a normal person

In the case of Recursive Fic, using any Ocs that have been introduced is permitted
If writing an original Mario Fic, OCs are permitted
Including other franchises is okay,
on account that not too much focus is taken from the Mario side of things.

Judges
Mosaic(Me)
Oshi
Sastar
-

Contestants
Contestants writing a Recursive Fic will be sent a folder of docs with info on each of the characters and how they’re meant to be portrayed in said story.

Contestants that have submitted are bolded.

Mechdragon777
-
-
-
-
-

How To Submit
To submit your entry, send me or one of the other judges your entry in a google or Microsoft document through DM with formatted info as follows:

Title:
Rating:
Words:
Type(Original Fanfic or Recursive):
Summary:
Link:

Judging Rubric

All submissions will be judged underneath a rubric. In three categories, Plot, Execution&Pacing and Characters, and will be given a score in each.

The scoring is as follows:
Plot: 20/20 Points

How well did the storyline of the fic work? Did it tell an interesting, different kind of story, a classic with a twist, or did it just use a storyline you’d typically see in a Mario game with nothing to spice it up a bit? Your points here are reflected by how much interest it’d hold a general reader and if there was much reason to read it and you couldn’t find it elsewhere.

Execution & Pacing: 50/50 Points

How was the story executed? Was in done in a way that didn’t feel rushed, thrown together, and quickly put out in hopes that someone would come along and read it and shower them with praise? Or did it play out in a well paced manner that showed that it was put together with care, polish, and meant to tell an overall enveloping story?

Characters / Adaptation Of Characters: 30/30 Points

How compelling were the characters in the story in general? Were they given multiple layers and made rather solid? Or were they poorly written, one dimensional characters completely defined by a single trait?

In regards to a Recursive Fic, the question here is this: How well were the characters adapted from their character in the source material? Do they act like they do in Mosaic Adventures, or do they act in a way that’s vastly different from their portrayal there?

As such, you can earn a maximum of 100 Points.

Prize
Take or leave, if the winner's work suffices, they could become a writer for the Mosaic Adventures Series. If they turn down the offer, then if the Runner Up's work does well enough too, they could choose request to be hired.

And along with this, the winner’s story will be posted in the #hall-of-fame channel on my discord and they’ll obtain the Contest Winner role.

Deadline
Please try to have your stories finished by November 22nd, yes, the day the first chapter of Mosaic Adventures was published a year ago.

Added in 10 minutes 17 seconds:
Edit:
Worth mentioning that it’s recommended though not required to join my discord server as that’s where most of my updates on this will be.
https://discord.gg/6sMcDaq
Last edited by PersonNamedUser on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: The Super Mario Literature Competition

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:44 am

Can we include some Super Mario literature based off the (Nintendo) multiverse?

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:32 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:44 am
Can we include some Super Mario literature based off the (Nintendo) multiverse?
Hmm? Could you explain what you mean? If you mean ”can I include other series” then yes, you can if you don't take too much focus off of the Mario side of things. Like for example, I probably wouldn't allow super smash bros stories for this reason as it takes focus off a bit too much.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:35 am

Mosaic wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:32 am
Like for example, I probably wouldn't allow super smash bros stories for this reason as it takes focus off a bit too much.
Oh, since you won't allow Super Smash Bros. stories, then I pass

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:38 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:35 am
Mosaic wrote:
Like for example, I probably wouldn't allow super smash bros stories for this reason as it takes focus off a bit too much.
Oh, alright then

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Mosaic wrote:
Kinda wanted to follow up with you, after some consideration, I may actually allow smash bros stories, on the account of it's focus mainly being on Mario characters, if you just filled that one criteria, I could allow it.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Splatoon 3: Side Order enthusiast
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Mosaic wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am
FireyPaperMario wrote:
Mosaic wrote:
Kinda wanted to follow up with you, after some consideration, I may actually allow smash bros stories, on the account of it's focus mainly being on Mario characters, if you just filled that one criteria, I could allow it.
Since you're allowing Super Smash Bros., are there any other games that you'd allow?

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Rhosty wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:35 pm
Mosaic wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:16 am
FireyPaperMario wrote:

Since you're allowing Super Smash Bros., are there any other games that you'd allow?
Mosaic wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:09 pm
Including other franchises is okay, on account that not too much focus is taken from the Mario side of things.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 pm

I got a question about the program we can use to write our own stories:

What if us Windows 10 users can't use MS Word due to no subscription to Office 365, and can we W10 users use alternations like for example:

• Ultra Word Editor

MegaDood
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MegaDood » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:52 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
The funny thing is if he allowed you to make it Smash Bros related, then you could actually put Sans in it and people would be alright with it.
What a brilliant timeline we live in.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:26 am

Okay, so in all the time that this has been on, NO ONE has submitted a story. Why do I say this? Well here's what I'm going to do due to such. If no one gets a story done in a Week, this contest will be cancelled, sorry, and please understand.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:14 am

Mosaic wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:26 am
Okay, so in all the time that this has been on, NO ONE has submitted a story. Why do I say this? Well here's what I'm going to do due to such. If no one gets a story done in a Week, this contest will be cancelled, sorry, and please understand.

Not surprised about this, we're not a community with a major interest in writing.

DrMekar
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR

Postby DrMekar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:48 am

Mosaic wrote:
Maybe because it's extremy unfair? You want the People to write about your universe and even
if they don't have to write about your universe, writing about your universe gives bonus points
which makes the whole choice invalid anyway.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 pm

DrMekar wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:48 am
Mosaic wrote:
Maybe because it's extremy unfair? You want the People to write about your universe and even
if they don't have to write about your universe, writing about your universe gives bonus points
Wait, so, if the problem is mainly the bonus points thing, I suppose I can understand that, as I suppose I didn't really give people writing original stories a way to earn bonus points like they can.

But if it's not that, what's with the hostility? I really don't see why it's such a huge issue to want people to write recursive fics ESPECIALLY if they get a choice to not, nothing's forcing you to enter. Also, another thing is that they only get bonus points if they make specific references, not specifically off of writing about it, which, as I've been over, now that I'm thinking about that side of it, aren't really that fair.

And furthermore, you don't have to have such a hostile tone as I've been over, if you found something(such as the bonus points thing, which I can kinda see) unfair, there is a much more civil tone you can talk with, by talking the way you did, you're making it sound as if i'm acting as if it's some heinous crime if they write an original fic instead of one based off mine, which i'm not. So chill.

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
But yeah also, as Cedur has already said, one of the reasons no one submitted is probably related to the fact that this forum isn't really the most well known for writers, which would also explain why no one submitted aswell.

Added in 8 minutes 49 seconds:
But okay, I removed that part of it, since yeah, even though you could have said it another way, it is kinda unfair for people who want to write an original Mario fan work to give people who choose differently bonus points.

DrMekar
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR

Postby DrMekar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Mosaic wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:15 pm
DrMekar wrote:
Mosaic wrote:
Wait, so, if the problem is mainly the bonus points thing, I suppose I can understand that, as I suppose I didn't really give people writing original stories a way to earn bonus points like they can.

But if it's not that, what's with the hostility? I really don't see why it's such a huge issue to want people to write recursive fics ESPECIALLY if they get a choice to not, nothing's forcing you to enter. Also, another thing is that they only get bonus points if they make specific references, not specifically off of writing about it, which, as I've been over, now that I'm thinking about that side of it, aren't really that fair.

And furthermore, you don't have to have such a hostile tone as I've been over, if you found something(such as the bonus points thing, which I can kinda see) unfair, there is a much more civil tone you can talk with, by talking the way you did, you're making it sound as if i'm acting as if it's some heinous crime if they write an original fic instead of one based off mine, which i'm not. So chill.

But yeah also, as Cedur has already said, one of the reasons no one submitted is probably related to the fact that this forum isn't really the most well known for writers, which would also explain why no one submitted aswell.

But okay, I removed that part of it, since yeah, even though you could have said it another way, it is kinda unfair for people who want to write an original Mario fan work to give people who choose differently bonus points.
Okay, sorry for the harsh tone and Thanks for taking the Advise. I'm not disintrested to write something, so I had a Question? Do Character Orgin Storys are also fine, because most Story Events of my Universe will be told in Episodes with the exclusion of SotU, so that'll be a Series.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:41 pm

DrMekar wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:33 pm
Mosaic wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:15 pm
DrMekar wrote:

Okay, sorry for the harsh tone and Thanks for taking the Advise. I'm not disintrested to write something, so I had a Question? Do Character Orgin Storys are also fine, because most Story Events of my Universe will be told in Episodes with the exclusion of SotU, so that'll be a Series.
Origin stories indeed are eligible as, as the guidelines specify, it can be a standalone chapter, or be a chapter that ends up leading into a multi-chapter story, so go ahead if you wish to.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Re: The Super Mario Literature Competition (Cancelled)

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Welp, I meant what I said, do to the lack of submissions, unless someone wants to jump in with something last mintue, this contest is now:

Take a look if not obvious: show

CANCELLED

Return to “Archives”