Lava Test.lvl [No name puzzle level]

This is the place to post levels that are made just for fun.
MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Lava Test.lvl [No name puzzle level]

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 am

This was used to figure out a glitch a bit more! The glitch is just face away from a wall while an NPC is moving to it and jump while next to the wall! Other then that, the first step has to be quite fast, I will not spoil much more! It is only one screen long! I hope a video of the level is enough, but it is not that long of a level! You can move this to the Trash can if you wish, just used to test something or help my self! This level will not be any any projects of my own, and any one can use it in there own project if they so desire and if they ask here first and give credit, how ever, I doubt any one would!

Video:
Spoiler: show

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?cxfaw0vw6rsxcov

Like I said, I hope a video counts as a screen shot!I would appreciate a rating, no matter how low I know it will get already!
Last edited by MECHDRAGON777 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bossedit8
Banned

Re: Lava Test.lvl [No name puzzle level]

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:12 am

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7nwDkGFr9c

Fixed Video ID.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:15 am

bossedit8 wrote:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7nwDkGFr9c

Fixed Video ID.
Knowing you, I bet you are going to make a video play through, I hope you like what it is either way!

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:08 am

Pardon me for asking, but where's the fun in playing this in a platforming game?

Philosophical questions aside, it is a bit of a faux pas to rely on glitches to make your level work. It's not a half bad puzzle, but standing by itself and having no level design outside of the puzzle itself is going to make it look crude.

You have an okay idea and, that's it. That alone does not a level make.

idontreadopsijustlookatvideosOOPSYOUKNOWALLTHISALREADY

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 am

For some reason, I like the idea of exploting glitches to complete levels. That is, if the level designer intended for me to use them. Anyways, cool puzzle, would like to see more like it, except different. No one likes 50 different levels that are essensially the same.

P.S. You might want to go easy on the '!'s, if you can help it. But it's ok if you can't.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:41 am

HenryRichard1234 wrote:For some reason, I like the idea of exploting glitches to complete levels. That is, if the level designer intended for me to use them. Anyways, cool puzzle, would like to see more like it, except different. No one likes 50 different levels that are essensially the same.

P.S. You might want to go easy on the '!'s, if you can help it. But it's ok if you can't.
Thank you for replying, it was me expanding on a glitch bossedit8 taught me how to prefect! I could of made it harder by adding a double Spring Board Jump, and over lava, you can see the punishment. I also could of added my law, "Every block is slippery" I am glad you liked it to the point where you want to see more! I was messing around and deiced to release it! Maybe I will make a Puzzle level physically focused on each glitch I know of! to make it fair to the player, I will add how to preform the glitch here as well [when I make the level's thread]with a video on how to do it!

Next glitch on my list: Spin-jumping off of a item while picking up that item! "like a Birdo Egg"
DarkMatt wrote:Pardon me for asking, but where's the fun in playing this in a platforming game?

Philosophical questions aside, it is a bit of a faux pas to rely on glitches to make your level work. It's not a half bad puzzle, but standing by itself and having no level design outside of the puzzle itself is going to make it look crude.

You have an okay idea and, that's it. That alone does not a level make.

idontreadopsijustlookatvideosOOPSYOUKNOWALLTHISALREADY
@DarkMatt: I am sorry for the bad level, so I might as well do this quick little puzzle level series around glitches that are easy to pull off! I said the level was not good in the first post,and said I expected it to reach the Trash Can sub-Sub-Forum; so, no blame for that! I appreciate the reply! Also, you asked why would this be fun! Keep in mind every human being is different on the Planet we call home, and my Personality is far from normal! The fact I Love Thunder Storms and ice, and every thing of the like [including Hurricanes] is a sign of that. I find very hard and challenging things fun. I find myself liking very hard SMBX levels while some people like easy things and can not challenge them self that well! I may not be good at Touhou, but I like it since it has a bit of a challenge to it! I am also sure a few users here like my style of fun witch is chaos at best! Like speed-running a platformer! Limiting one self in an RPG, or Grinding to high extremes early in a game!I hope you understand the concept of every human on this planet having different aspects of what fun is to them! Some people even like Puzzles my family included! Some people even like Kaizo!

Now with that "Philosophical" Question out of the way, you said it is "faux pas" to rely on glitches; but, is that also what some other levels use? The Rainbow Shell, or even my own level that required Peach to Spin jump? I may not know what "faux pas" is, but I can guess from what else you say in the paragraph of a two sentences! The point is, that glitches that are obvious should be used some times, and when not so obvious, if you warn the player, it should be okay! I warned the player since you would want to read the description before downloading any way! People would clearly know that I use that glitch! I will warn the player upon level start then form now on! Also, the slide under a block that is not moving, and stop ducking, turn the opposite way, and you slide out the other side, which this is an advanced version of, is used to make some secrets well hidden, so why not make some thing like that required! Most people also experience this glitch on canvaorbelts [sorry for my spelling on that] when the slide through a wall into a pit or lava!

Thank you for the complement and the advice, you seem nice in more ways then I was told, and I do appreciate the formula you told me! I am sorry for not showing it off in this level, but moving blocks may have also made it harder! Thank you again though!
HenryRichard1234 wrote:P.S. You might want to go easy on the '!'s, if you can help it. But it's ok if you can't.
*Okay
and it is force of habit for me to use exclamation points!
DarkMatt wrote:idontreadopsijustlookatvideosOOPSYOUKNOWALLTHISALREADY
"I did not read the original post, I just looked at the video. Oops, you know all this already."

Is that what that says? if so, why did you not read the original post?

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:29 pm

[quote="MECHDRAGON777"][/quote]
Because most of the time levels come without errata and I can just watch the video or look at the screenshots to get the idea. It's a habit of mine.

....WAIT A SECOND. YOU'RE THAT FUCKER WHO DID A WALTZ IN SCARLET DEVIL MANSION. But that's for tomorrow.

Well anyway, it's not a matter of making SMBX levels challenging. It's about making them hard artistically. A puzzle similar to this but well blended in a level on its own will appeal far better than putting down objects directly for the purpose of the puzzle or challenge. This isn't about appealing to a specific audience, it's about broadening one's target audience as far as possible so that there's a little something for everybody. Course, myself I am an asshole who makes levels that are too hard but otherwise neat looking, but I do put emphasis on the level itself first and then figure out how to make it hard second. Point is there's zero effort in the making of this level, and for people who aren't going to be satisfied just playing something hard, that'll be points against you, and you'll be told to improve accordingly. But hey, if you're the sort of person who doesn't care about leaving a positive lasting impression on the saps who play your levels, then more power to you. (And that is why you can't just shoo away criticism by saying you're appealing to one specific audience: people like you. Which I wouldn't say is either a good idea or a bad idea.)

I don't know whether or not someone explained this to you when you were in MaGLX, but glitches can't just be there and left for the player to figure out. For all you know, they DON'T know how to do the glitch, and they're gonna sit there cursing your good name wondering what the hell you were on. It's not a puzzle when you don't explain anything to the player. And before you just add in message boxes and leaving it at that, you would be better off demonstrating the glitch in question to the player before putting it into practice. I leave this to you to figure it out; getting the right idea requires your own experience.
Last edited by DarkMatt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:14 pm

DarkMatt wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Because most of the time levels come without errata and I can just watch the video or look at the screenshots to get the idea. It's a habit of mine.

....WAIT A SECOND. YOU'RE THAT FUCKER WHO DID A WALTZ IN SCARLET DEVIL MANSION. But that's for tomorrow.

Well anyway, it's not a matter of making SMBX levels challenging. It's about making them hard artistically. A puzzle similar to this but well blended in a level on its own will appeal far better than putting down objects directly for the purpose of the puzzle or challenge. This isn't about appealing to a specific audience, it's about broadening one's target audience as far as possible so that there's a little something for everybody. Course, myself I am an asshole who makes levels that are too hard but otherwise neat looking, but I do put emphasis on the level itself first and then figure out how to make it hard second. Point is there's zero effort in the making this level, and for people who aren't going to be satisfied just playing something hard, that'll be points against you, and you'll be told to improve accordingly. But hey, if you're the sort of person who doesn't care about leaving a positive lasting impression on the saps who play your levels, then more power to you. (And that is why you can't just shoo away criticism by saying you're appealing to one specific audience: people like you. Which I wouldn't say is either a good idea or a bad idea.)

I don't know whether or not someone explained this to you when you were in MaGLX, but glitches can't just be there and left for the player to figure out. For all you know, they DON'T know how to do the glitch, and they're gonna sit there cursing your good name wondering what the hell you were on. It's not a puzzle when you don't explain anything to the player. And before you just add in message boxes and leaving it at that, you would be better off demonstrating the glitch in question to the player before putting it into practice. I leave this to you to figure it out; getting the right idea requires your own experience.
This level was more to test my self actually, but you mentioned "Waltz In Scarlet Mansion" I know that was a hard level, and I left it all to bossedit8 and elitalianoverde for testing!

I will make the SMBX levels I try to use a Puzzle concept on a little bit better in appearance! I am sorry about that .

As for showing that glitch to the player, making it so I use events to do a part of a level first that is the exact same way using the character motion controls should do enough of showing it! As for me using a glitch in the MAGLX contest, I forgot I put that in there! I know a few glitches I found and a every other glitch was taught to me via bossedit8. The idea of showing the player the glitch in action is a good idea and I even used it in my own CC7 level! Sorry for the complication!

DarkMatt
Banned

Postby DarkMatt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:08 pm

bossedit8 is good at playing levels. The reason why (I think) he plays a million levels is because he's ridiculously open-minded and doesn't think too hard about what he's playing. (In other words: I'd call him a great help for giving levels videos, but not a great critic.) And I dunno who the other person was or how to spell his name, so I cannot explain why he didn't give you good criticism.

Anyway, it's more than just appearance. Your puzzle elements should blend into the level and look natural, instead of being an eyesore of switch blocks. (Which by the way I have yet to see someone use switch blocks really well and you're not the exception.) The more your puzzle looks like plain old level the better for it and the level it's part of. The thing to keep in mind here is adhering to a level style.

In fact, in general, just practice making levels that don't break the player's balls. You can subtract the concept of enemies and traps and still turn out a very good looking level. Once you know how to do that, you can easily sub in your challenge and suddenly you have levels captivating in both challenge and elegance.

As for whatever you said about the straight advice I gave you, that'd work, but to me the player would get a better grasp of the glitch if he was given streamlined instructions on how to do it and left to demonstrate it to the level before being allowed to tackle a puzzle involving the glitch.

But in truth, I would not call dirty glitches puzzle elements. I would call them mistakes that should not be encouraged.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:49 pm

DarkMatt wrote:bossedit8 is good at playing levels. The reason why (I think) he plays a million levels is because he's ridiculously open-minded and doesn't think too hard about what he's playing. (In other words: I'd call him a great help for giving levels videos, but not a great critic.) And I dunno who the other person was or how to spell his name, so I cannot explain why he didn't give you good criticism.

Anyway, it's more than just appearance. Your puzzle elements should blend into the level and look natural, instead of being an eyesore of switch blocks. (Which by the way I have yet to see someone use switch blocks really well and you're not the exception.) The more your puzzle looks like plain old level the better for it and the level it's part of. The thing to keep in mind here is adhering to a level style.

In fact, in general, just practice making levels that don't break the player's balls. You can subtract the concept of enemies and traps and still turn out a very good looking level. Once you know how to do that, you can easily sub in your challenge and suddenly you have levels captivating in both challenge and elegance.

As for whatever you said about the straight advice I gave you, that'd work, but to me the player would get a better grasp of the glitch if he was given streamlined instructions on how to do it and left to demonstrate it to the level before being allowed to tackle a puzzle involving the glitch.

But in truth, I would not call dirty glitches puzzle elements. I would call them mistakes that should not be encouraged.
I do not know what a "dirty Glitch" is, but I understand what you mean by elegance! the reason there are no custom graphics is, like I said, I was testing something out! I can still show the player how to preform it, and the instructions!

I think part of the reason I did not explain in the level was because a level in a episode I played a long time ago did not tell me how to use a rainbow shell when I started!

sorry for that again!

Return to “Casual Levels”