M55: A Light in the Night (PLAYER SIGN-UPS)

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

M55: A Light in the Night (PLAYER SIGN-UPS)

Postby PixelPest » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Please read the following before signing up for this game:
If you're on Discord you would've seen the short rant I posted about why Mafia games don't happen which is mainly due to people taking them for granted and just going through the motions, not really in the spirit of the game and limiting the enjoyment of others by being inactive or carefree. This isn't criticizing people who are new and don't know the game well as there's no problem with that--it would be great to see some new players and people excited to play--but of the regular players who are just playing because its available even if they just kinda coast through the game doing the bare minimum.

This game there will be a strict inactivity policy. You are expected to be contributing at least one constructive post to the game per phase. If you have a role with an additional ability you are expected to notify the host (me) each Night phase as ability usage will be mandatory for this game, for at least some abilities. If you are a Mafia member you are expected to be discussing with your fellow Mafia members on strategy, kill decisions, etc. on a Nightly basis. If you are inactive for one phase in any of the aforementioned ways you will be messaged by the host. If you are inactive for more than one phase (these do not have to be consecutive phases) you will be expected to provide a reasonable excuse to the GMs of your inactivity after which you will be subbed with a waitlisted player for the remainder of the game and depending on your excuse and your status as a player in our Mafia games you may receive a gameban at the discretion of the GMs if they deem it necessary (this will not be based on the weight of your role as whether you have an ability or not your contributions to the game and involvement are very important to the success of your team, hence the inactivity of a Townie will not be considered any differently than a Town special).

This is not intended to scare you or disuade you from playing, we just want to see a successful game that everyone can enjoy. We totally understand that sometimes life gets in the way and you really expected to be able to play the entire game but now you just can't and if something like that comes up and you ask for a sub, we won't hold any of your inactivity against you for the rest of the game during the period we find and notify a sub, however we will ask that you attempt to contribute as much as you can up to that point.

As always, we're looking to see some games well-played, and then we might bring back full seasons with consistent back-to-back games, but until then we just need to see that people are committed and excited to play.

Without further ado:

(Cardflip / 12 Players)

In the town of the Town fireworks continue to go off throughout the week after New Years and during the Night people continue to die gruesome deaths, but they aren't always so secretive under the firecracker-lit sky. It will be a week filled with triumphs, failures, bargains, pleading, lies, garbage flying out of trucks instead of into them, and subtle but nefarious hats.

The Mafia
Hat Vendor: Can choose a player and a colour (red, blue, or green) each Night. That player will flip the chosen colour during that Night phase (for inspections, reveals, and Nightkills) and for the following Day phase (for Lynches). They cannot target themselves. Collaborates with the other Mafia members to kill one player each Night; one member must be chosen to commit the Nightkill.
Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde: Flips red during the Night, but green during the Day. Collaborates with the other Mafia members to kill one player each Night; one member must be chosen to commit the Nightkill.
Garbage Man: Can choose a player each Day who will gain the following ability for the rest of the game: "Chooses to either (1) have all people visiting them each Night have their Lynch votes worth one less the following Day or (2) flip red for the Night and following Day phase. Collaborates with the other Mafia members to kill one player each Night; one member must be chosen to commit the Nightkill.

The Town
Sheriff Trainer: Can choose a player each Day who will gain the following ability for the following Night alone: "Inspects a player this Night to determine their colour."
Medical Instructor: Can choose a player each Day who will gain the following ability for the following Night alone: "Chooses a player this Night to protect from Nightkills."
Public Speaking Enthusiast: Can choose a player each Night and make their vote worth either 2 or -1 for the following Day.
Firework Vendor: Can choose each Night to have the colours of all the players who visited (used an ability on) them (whether they survived the Night or not) to be revealed at the beginning of the following Day phase.
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie

Mechanics
  • The game starts on a Day phase.
  • Nightkills will also be considered "visiting" for the purpose of the Firework Vendor's ability.
  • Even if a player who has an ability-giving role is Lynched during the Day phase their target still gets the ability they give (i.e. Day role usage takes priority over Lynching).
  • Ability usage for players that have been given abilities by other roles is mandatory.
  • Players are notified if targeted by the Public Speaking Enthusiast's ability but not the exact effect.
  • Players are not notified about the influence of the Garbage Man's ability on them.

Player list
1. 116taj
2. SAStar777
3. Nanaya Jacob
4. Eri7
5. thehelmetguy1
6. TheLoafLord
8. Radiance
9. MECHDRAGON777

Back-ups

Role messages

Spoiler: show
wrote:You are the Hat Vendor! You can choose a player and a colour (red, blue, or green) each Night. That player will flip the chosen colour during that Night phase (for inspections, reveals, and Nightkills) and for the following Day phase (for Lynches). You cannot target yourself (you hate hats with a passion--it just brings in the cash). You'll collaborate with the other Mafia members, <name> and <name>, to kill one player each Night; one member must be chosen to commit the Nightkill.
wrote:You are Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde! You flip red during the Night, but green during the Day. You'll collaborate with the other Mafia members, <name> and <name>, to kill one player each Night; one member must be chosen to commit the Nightkill.
wrote:You are the Garbage Man! You can choose a player each Day who will gain the following ability for the rest of the game: "Chooses to either (1) have all people visiting them each Night have their Lynch votes worth one less the following Day or (2) flip red for the Night and following Day phase. You'll collaborate with the other Mafia members, <name> and <name>, to kill one player each Night; one member must be chosen to commit the Nightkill.
wrote:You are the Sheriff Trainer! You can choose a player each Day who will gain the following ability for the following Night alone: "Inspects a player this Night to determine their colour."
wrote:You are the Medical Instructor! You can choose a player each Day who will gain the following ability for the following Night alone: "Chooses a player this Night to protect from Nightkills."
wrote:You are the Public Speaking Enthusiast! You can choose a player each Night and make their vote worth either 2 or -1 for the following Day.
wrote:You are the Firework Vendor! You can choose each Night to have the colours of all the players who visited (used an ability on) you (whether they survived the Night or not) to be revealed at the beginning of the following Day phase.
wrote:You are a Townie! Even without special abilities your influence will change the course of the game, and the world.

Pings, messages, and usage of Discord (IMPORTANT!)

Discord is a great tool and I'm willing to make the most of it. If you'd like me to send all communications through Discord instead of the forums, leave a message below when you sign up with your username and Discord tag. If you'd like me to ping you on Discord for phase changes, please make it known as well, leaving your username and Discord tag.

For those who don't have Discord or don't want to use it, I'm completely fine to doing so via PM on the forums.

However, I highly suggest it as it makes private discussions, such as alliances and the Mafia chat much easier to manage, for you and me, so I encourage the use of it.

Also, general discussion of Mafia games in #mafia on Discord is fine, however anything important and public, including discussions about who to Lynch, interrogations, etc. should occur in the game thread, so that those who don't use Discord aren't at a disadvantage. Posting logs is not a substitute for this as then people still aren't able to directly contribute to the discussion. In the event that everyone in the game has Discord and is using #mafia, I'll void this rule, though Lynch votes, etc. must still be cast in the thread.

116taj
Spike
Spike

Re: M55: A Light in the Night (PLAYER SIGN-UPS)

Postby 116taj » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 pm

That's how mafia works

SAStar777
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby SAStar777 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm

>12 players

...Ah screw it. In.

Nanaya
Phanto
Phanto
Flair: When's Mafia

Postby Nanaya » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:14 pm

yeet

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Count me in, i want to get more experience with mafia games because so far i have played only 2 mafia games.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Radiance » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm busy this week but I don't want to miss this so sign me as a backup.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 pm

HENLO I AM IN AND I AM ALSO TYPING IN CAPS SO I CAN HOPEFULLY GET ATTENTION EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT WILL NOT WORK LUL

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly theloaflord

Postby erkyp3rky » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 pm

I’ll do it.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 am

Radiance wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:03 pm
Backup slots only start being filled up when the player list is full. If you cannot commit to putting your name on the player list to play you cannot function as a backup

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Radiance » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 am

PixelPest wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 am
Radiance wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:03 pm
Backup slots only start being filled up when the player list is full. If you cannot commit to putting your name on the player list to play you cannot function as a backup
Aah, sorry my bad! I thought backup slot could still be filled even if the players are incomplete like before.

SAStar777
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby SAStar777 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 am

Radiance wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 am
Aah, sorry my bad! I thought backup slot could still be filled even if the players are incomplete like before.
Pretty sure that's only Minigame Plaza, man. I don't remember anyone being able to sign up as a backup when signups were still incomplete here.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Radiance » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am

SAStar777 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 am
Radiance wrote:
Pretty sure that's only Minigame Plaza, man. I don't remember anyone being able to sign up as a backup when signups were still incomplete here.
I'm pretty sure I read one here before asking to be a backup even if the signups isn't complete but if it's not then I maybe mistaken then.

I'm not sure if it's HenryRichard or imaybenothere4long
Last edited by Radiance on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 am

Radiance wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am
SAStar777 wrote:
Radiance wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read one here before asking to be a backup even if the signups isn't complete but if it's not then I maybe mistaken then.
Even if it's happened at the odd time that's not how I intend to run it, citing the reason I gave above

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Radiance » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 am

PixelPest wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 am
Radiance wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am
SAStar777 wrote:
Even if it's happened at the odd time that's not how I intend to run it, citing the reason I gave above
Yup. I know

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Inb4IW
Incase you didn't get that:
In Before I Win

BTW, on weekdays i go to school and some nights this week i may be busy *cough* revising for exams *cough* but i should be active enough to play properly.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Radiance » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Our exams are done so in

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 am

I am willing to sign up.

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Stargard

Postby Taycamgame » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 pm

So uh, feels bad in saying this but
it turns out that i don't think i will actually be online enough over the next 1 / 2 weeks to actually play this game. Yeah, i'll be online in the forums and discord but not to the extent of being able to fully focus on playing a game of mafia. That plus the fact i have quite a lot going on (exams, real life, SMBX project demo to get done etc.)

So while i thought i could play initially, i'm not going to be able to do so. I'm not feeling like it right now either but in future i may play a game or two. I only really joined mafia to experience it in the first place, afterall.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:31 am

At this point it looks like the game is not gonna take place

Return to “Mafia”