What if you can make ANY thing go extinct.

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
thunderlakitu
Blooper
Blooper

Re: What if you can make ANY thing go extinct.

Postby thunderlakitu » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Mosquitoes, they are useless parasites and if you get rid of them you wouldn't change the ecosystem that much...

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:18 pm

thunderlakitu wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Mosquitoes, they are useless parasites and if you get rid of them you wouldn't change the ecosystem that much...
Most mosquitoes are harmless to humans and some are important for certain ecosystems which when removed can cause more problems than mosquitoes do.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:16 am

Daylight saving time

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am

GhostHawk wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:18 pm
thunderlakitu wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Most mosquitoes are harmless to humans and some are important for certain ecosystems which when removed can cause more problems than mosquitoes do.
I was curious so I looked into it more and I can't find any source stating that mosquitos fill any irreplacable niches in any ecosystem... moreso the contrary. However I did find someone stating that, while the ecosystems will recover after a short "hiccup", the increase in human health and population thanks to the eradication of diseases like malaria could bring up entirely seperate problems.
https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721 ... 6432a.html

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:04 am

Mentally ill people (from pedophiles to psychopaths to people with severe disorders). Mainly due to a problem I had with someone like that

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am
I was curious so I looked into it more and I can't find any source stating that mosquitos fill any irreplacable niches in any ecosystem... moreso the contrary. However I did find someone stating that, while the ecosystems will recover after a short "hiccup", the increase in human health and population thanks to the eradication of diseases like malaria could bring up entirely seperate problems.
https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721 ... 6432a.html
While they're not an important species in the food web, they are more important in some ecosystems than others. Arctic mosquitoes in particular have a greater impact, and there isn't full agreement on the results of eradicating them would be in the arctic region as that nature article mentioned, and also discussed here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017 ... osquitoes/

There's also the question of how mosquitoes would be eradicated would affect ecosystems and the environment. DDT was used to wipe them out before but that obviously had the major downside of creating a hole in the ozone layer that would kill pretty much everything if nothing was done about it. So like if there were a goal to safely eradicate all disease vector mosquitoes (which are an overwhelming minority of mosquitoes) in a safe way then yeah that makes sense, but going after all of them when they're harmless still seems like a big risk.
PopYoshi wrote: Mentally ill people (from pedophiles to psychopaths to people with severe disorders). Mainly due to a problem I had with someone like that
Stop talking about people.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:04 am
Mentally ill people (from pedophiles to psychopaths to people with severe disorders). Mainly due to a problem I had with someone like that
Sorry for existing... except that I am not

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:33 pm

thehelmetguy1 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:04 am
Sorry for existing... except that I am not
I meant people with mental problems that can hurt. But I don't discard therapy, psychologists or any kind of treatment, I mainly focus on people with bad intentions

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm locking this thread since although sadly this topic does present some great and interesting opportunities for discussion, people have demonstrated that they can't handle it and post within the rules

Return to “Archives”