Level Sharing Sites

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Level Sharing Sites

Postby Archived » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Level Sharing Sites

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:01 am

4shared is already banned anyway (due to the requirement to be logged in to download stuff). Sendspace is banned too although this one is due to links expiring. Link shorteners are also banned due to malware.

So really we shouldn't be asking for there to be a rule (because it already exists) but rather asking for it to be enforced more effectively. Though you can help by reporting posts with such links.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:27 am

Sendspace also requires registration, right?

(also the rules threads in Episodes and Levels describe why certain hosts aren't allowed without explicitely naming them)

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:56 am

Cedur wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:27 am
Sendspace also requires registration, right?
No, but links expire if you are a free user.

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm
Electriking wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:01 am
4shared is already banned anyway (due to the requirement to be logged in to download stuff). Sendspace is banned too although this one is due to links expiring. Link shorteners are also banned due to malware.

So really we shouldn't be asking for there to be a rule (because it already exists) but rather asking for it to be enforced more effectively. Though you can help by reporting posts with such links.
I just double checked both the forum rules and the level forums and no where does it directly say that those two websites are banned. The only part of that which is found in the rules are link shorteners.
It is implied that both websites are banned because in the rules it says:
Episodes must have a working download link. Please do not use a file hosting service that forces you to register before you can download files, or one that deletes files after a period of time. Recommended hosting sites include Dropbox and MediaFire.
The former example of why cetain sites are banned describes 4shared while the latter describes Sendspace. I don't know how aware one would be about the way downloads work on said download sites when creaing an account though, or if poor communcation means they may assume their choice of site is acceptable when it actually isn't. So it may help to mention those as examples since they are probably the most well-known sites that fall into the respective categories. So a rewritten versionn would say:
Episodes must have a working download link. Please do not use a file hosting service that forces you to register before you can download files (I.E 4shared), or one that deletes files after a period of time (I.E Sendspace). Also, do not use Link shortenes or other sites that contain Malware. Recommended hosting sites include Dropbox and Google Drive.

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Archived
Last edited by Archived on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:48 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:03 pm
Electriking wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:57 pm

That should not be the case, it shouldn't only be implied, it should directly be stated.
I guess it is because there will be other sites similar to 4shared/sendspace. Maybe they should be included as examples, but stating every single site that would be banned would be impossible.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:03 pm
Electriking wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:57 pm

That should not be the case, it shouldn't only be implied, it should directly be stated.
You could spend days explicitly listing all of the sites you can use for file hosting that don't meet the rules. The rules are simple enough that you should be able to determine which sites can be used on your own without us having to list them off. As always, if a topic breaks the rules you can report it and we'll check it out

Return to “Site Discussion”