Language Forum

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.

Good idea?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 12
KateBulka
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Flair: Bun~
Pronouns: she/her

Language Forum

Postby KateBulka » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:07 am

So what i was thinking all of this time is, will be there a special forum for non-english speakers or at least a forum where you can talk on your own language, as in, for example, WohlSoft forums. Let's be honest, i know this forum is english, but maybe we should give a try on this idea? I may be wrong, but i think there won't be as many users, who is breaking rule 6, as before. What do you think?
Last edited by KateBulka on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: It... it worked...

Re: Language Forun

Postby GforGoomba » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:42 am

I am interested. I can immerse myself more into Japanese and eventually learn it like a pro. 😎

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Language Forum

Postby Emral » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:27 am

Especially for help threads this seems like an idea that'll only lead to people learning less. If someone who barely speaks english posts lunalua help in a russian subforum, MOST people who know lunalua wouldn't be able to help. The quality of the response would either be really bad, or the person trying to respond would have to serve as a translator between someone more knowledgable and the person who made this thread in the russian subforum because they just really don't want to try and communicate in english.

For non-help threads all I can see happening is duplicate threads in other languages. Which has its own share of communication issues. Same deal basically. Knowledgable people who don't speak the minority language are completely locked out.

Moderating forums in other languages sounds to me like hell too.

"People breaking rule 6" happens rarely enough that I would call it a problem, and someone who knows what they're doing is capable of deciphering broken english in a help thread.

Sure it's something that could be attempted, but I see absolutely no positives to having them.

KateBulka
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Flair: Bun~
Pronouns: she/her

Postby KateBulka » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:03 am

Enjl: you're right, but if we even get language forum then some users could get hired to moderate language forum.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:25 am

Not every language has a member on this forum who is capable of moderating.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:09 am

If you want to communicate in your own language then find compatriots and meet up with them in a Discord group or whatever. Wherever there are language subforums (or language channels for Discord) they use to be inactive anyway.

Btw, if people go for playing mario fangames like this, it already shows that they have some direct line to English, right? This makes me even more confused about users who can't express themselves at all, like Berkian or recently MrVaderSpino / DarvinosBobaFett. You probably wouldn't help those with a forum of their own language either. (and besides, flawed English doesn't instantly equal inability of expression)

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:13 am

This is an English-only forum and will almost surely stay that way. Enjl outlined some very good points such as the lack of help that would be able to be provided in different languages and moderation issues. I've also seen how users on the 38A Discord server sometimes use the other language channels to speak about other users behind their backs because they know the other people can't understand them and I wouldn't want that to happen here too. People who don't know English can use a translator and generally if what they wrote in their native language is at least somewhat correct then what they're trying to say can be deciphered.

There are other ways to communicate in another language about SMBX. You can do via PM here or on Discord, make a group on Discord, find a server that hosts other language channels like codehaus, or find a forum which is primarily in a different language such as the Chinese or Brazilian SMBX forums. In the past too I've communicated with a few non-English-speaking French people via PM to provide assistance and just talk since I can also get by in reasonably accurate French and that's just fine too

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Language forums are a bad solution to internationalization. Google Translate + Grammarly will do just fine for non-English speakers.

erkyp3rky
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: formerly theloaflord

Postby erkyp3rky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:53 am

Honestly if this was a thing the entire subforum would turn into a circus in a matter of days.

Knux
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: she/they

Postby Knux » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 am

We actually tried multi-language forums years ago but most of the time the users would never post in them (we started with german and spanish subforums), and just carried on in the main forums.

Plus more users would just ask for different language forums and before you know it we have a cling-on board smh

Return to “Site Discussion”