Reinforcing Rule 6

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Reinforcing Rule 6

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am

Eri7 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 am
ShadowStarX wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:48 am
Not completely, but still quite related to this topic: I've had the idea that we should perhaps have a field in one's profile where they can tell what languages they can speak?
This might be able to help newcomers in finding somebody who could communicate with them in their native language or a non-english foreign language they speak or understand.

The field could be named "Languages Spoken" or something among those lines.
Also it should include the language level because some people speak a language on a certain level and others might expect them to speak it perfect, example , I speak German on B1 level but if people don't know that , they will expect me to speak it on C2 level.

Other people like me don't know what a B1 or a C2 is so I think it might be more profitable to just include "native language" as a field rather than listing all. English knowledge is otherwise assumed, and using others would only be legit if english skills aren't present in a user. The replier can then judge for themselves if they're good enough at the requester's language to reply in it.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Enjl wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am
Eri7 wrote:
ShadowStarX wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:48 am
Not completely, but still quite related to this topic: I've had the idea that we should perhaps have a field in one's profile where they can tell what languages they can speak?
This might be able to help newcomers in finding somebody who could communicate with them in their native language or a non-english foreign language they speak or understand.

The field could be named "Languages Spoken" or something among those lines.
Also it should include the language level because some people speak a language on a certain level and others might expect them to speak it perfect, example , I speak German on B1 level but if people don't know that , they will expect me to speak it on C2 level.

Other people like me don't know what a B1 or a C2 is so I think it might be more profitable to just include "native language" as a field rather than listing all. English knowledge is otherwise assumed, and using others would only be legit if english skills aren't present in a user. The replier can then judge for themselves if they're good enough at the requester's language to reply in it.
That might indeed be a good solution but I doubt that having the ability to list multiple languages does any harm, though said user should take it seriously if it's not their native language and/or English. (f.e: a native French claims to speak German)

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:21 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:01 pm
Enjl wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am
Eri7 wrote:

That might indeed be a good solution but I doubt that having the ability to list multiple languages does any harm
But I doubt it is necessary.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:25 pm

ShadowStarX wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:01 pm
That might indeed be a good solution but I doubt that having the ability to list multiple languages does any harm, though said user should take it seriously if it's not their native language and/or English. (f.e: a native French claims to speak German)
inb4 everyone who doesn't speak english well adds it there cause they are "learning"

For the record i think this tab isn't gonna do anything other than give newcomers a reason to flood other people with PMs full of issues once they're told to speak english or whatever. Veterans viewing the "native language" field on a newcomer's profile would allow the topic to shift seamlessly into the newcomer's native language, but asking veterans to fill it out when all of them speak english anyway (look around you) is unnecessary. The few people who then happen to speak the native language of a newcomer will become the only people capable of helping with an issue and depending on their online activity and knowledge this can be just as bad as not helping these people at all.

As far as my opinion on this is concerned, this is an english speaking community, and if people can't express their thoughts clearly in english they deserve to be warned and/or banned for the time being. If you want people to "read the forum rules", add the language rule to the red banner at the top of the forum. If they still don't do it, sucks for them but they'll have shown that they can't communicate with the community. There aren't free passes for the other rules either, so why this one?

Return to “Site Discussion”