Does anyone know Bowser's punch state ID and offset?

This is the place for discussion and support for LunaLua and related modifications and libraries.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
SMB3
Rex
Rex

Does anyone know Bowser's punch state ID and offset?

Postby SMB3 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 pm

I'm trying to make Bowser (the playable one) have a shorter punch animation. I tried using Text.print() to draw the current state of offset 0x122 (forced animation state, which is where I guessed it would be) during onTick(), but that drew 0 whether I was punching or not. (It was definitely working however, as grabbing a hammer suit changed it briefly to 12.) It's also not stored under 0x164 (tail swipe timer) in any way, as that stayed at 0 except when I had a tail, which changed it to stay at -2 instead.
0x160 (projectile timer + link slashes) changed only depending on my current powerup, and 0x162 (link projectiles) and 0x14 (link slash cooldown timer) didn't seem to do anything.

I'm about out of ideas for what else to try for this, so I'm guessing the current state of Bowser's punch is not stored anywhere in these offsets, and is instead either stored elsewhere, or in an otherwise-unused offset. Anyone actually know where it is? Thanks!

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Does anyone know Bowser's punch state ID and offset?

Postby The0x539 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Bowser, being a SMBX2 playable, probably doesn't store its own variables in player offsets. Check bowser.lua, adjust some values in there. Better to alter mechanics directly than to wrestle with them, and with anything done in Lua this is possible.

SMB3
Rex
Rex

Postby SMB3 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 pm

The0x539 wrote:Bowser, being a SMBX2 playable, probably doesn't store its own variables in player offsets. Check bowser.lua, adjust some values in there. Better to alter mechanics directly than to wrestle with them, and with anything done in Lua this is possible.
:facepalm: I hadn't even considered the new characters might have been added with Lua rather than directly coded into the base game. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Hey, while I've (maybe) still got your attention, do you have any advice for how I could actually change Bowser? The variable I need to change to shorten the punch (punchDur in bowser.lua) is local, so I can't directly edit it from my own Lua file, nor can I figure out how to import or inherit from it. I think I'm just SOL, but is there any hacky way I could get around this?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 am

I'd suggest not modifying Bowser's code rn since he's getting a rewrite by Beta 4 iirc which will change the code drastically

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:14 pm

If you really want to, you can make a copy of anything in the LuaScriptsLib folder and put it in your episode or level folder and your copy will be loaded instead. I'd advise against doing this most of the time since it will break in the future, but for the time being it will work.

SMB3
Rex
Rex

Postby SMB3 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm

I was trying to avoid that for now for that exact reason, but it's either this, or finagle my own character entirely. It'll do for my purposes though, I guess. Thanks for your help!

xDestroy
Nipper
Nipper

Postby xDestroy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm

SMB3 wrote::facepalm:
This is not discord...

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 am

xDestroy wrote:
This is not discord...
Most likely meant as humor.

SMB3
Rex
Rex

Postby SMB3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 pm

HenryRichard wrote:If you really want to, you can make a copy of anything in the LuaScriptsLib folder and put it in your episode or level folder and your copy will be loaded instead. I'd advise against doing this most of the time since it will break in the future, but for the time being it will work.
I'm having some trouble setting this up. I can't get it to work with Bowser (his punch remains way too long unless I change it in the base file), so I quit out of frustration and tried with Mega Man instead. I attempted to change the names of some weapons to see if it would even work, but they won't change either. With the Mega Man one I tried putting the file in the level folder, episode folder, and imitation LuaScriptsLib\Characters\ folders in each, but it's not being detected; the original megaman.lua is still getting loaded over my custom one, so I'm starting to think something's wrong with the order the game loads scripts in. Hopefully though, I just forgot something and can fix this with a little more investigation. If anyone has some help with this bug(?) it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Pseudo wrote:
xDestroy wrote:
This is not discord...
Most likely meant as humor.
Correct.

(ignore my break and pseudo-necro, there was stuff happening)

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 pm

SMB3 wrote:imitation LuaScriptsLib\Characters folders
This is wrong, Misc.resolveFile and by extension API.load looks inside LuaScriptsLib itself, so just a Characters folder in the level/episode folder will do.

SMB3
Rex
Rex

Postby SMB3 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:18 pm

The0x539 wrote:
SMB3 wrote:imitation LuaScriptsLib\Characters folders
This is wrong, Misc.resolveFile and by extension API.load looks inside LuaScriptsLib itself, so just a Characters folder in the level/episode folder will do.
There it goes! Thanks for your help, guys!

Return to “LunaLua”