Mafia Opinions/Changes Thread

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Mafia Opinions/Changes Thread

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:34 am

Hey, Mafia players! With Mafia returning, and us welcoming a third GM to the team, I would like to take an opportunity to gather some information and discussion about the features and rules of Mafia based on player feedback and general opinions. Every once in a while, a poll will be set up in this thread to gather information and opinions on a Mafia-related topic, and the Mafia player-base (and the GMs!) can discuss these opinions and see if we can make any changes or compromises to better appeal to the players.

I would like to make it absolutely clear from the beginning that opinions expressed here, even if they are of a majority vote, will not reflect any definitive changes to the game, they will just be used to gather some otherwise unknown feedback and make it easier for the GMs to communicate with the players on issues, possibly allowing us to make changes that suit everyone perfectly.
-Revision 1: Mandatory Lynching-
To kick things off, I would like to bring up the widely debated hot topic of mandatory lynching. Many players seem opposed to it, while others agree it is a core element to Mafia.

For clarification, mandatory lynching has been a Mafia rule since its induction on this forum, and is one of the most core elements to Mafia. At some point, which is still exactly unknown, the enforcement of mandatory lynching started to become lax, until it was almost nonexistent, and players accustomed themselves to things such as "safety voting" or just not voting at all. From an actual rulings standpoint, "safety" votes do not really exist nor differentiate themselves from not voting at all at the time, whereas not voting at all should create a Knife-in-the-Box against every single living player, essentially giving a completely random death.

Mandatory lynching is, for the most part, a crucial part of Mafia, as it not only encourages activity among the non-special roles (townies), but it also creates the risky atmosphere of Mafia that has seemed to have diminished recently, and it encourages teamwork and interrogations. When mandatory lynching is removed from the game (regardless if it's removed for a single phase or the whole game), it gives the town a significant upper hand as they can forgo lynching people and rely on the town's kill and inspection roles (vigilante and seer/sheriff respectively) to deal with the Mafia. This tactic has been observed many times where mandatory lynching is not around, and it more often than not results in a Town victory because of this advantage.

Just as a general proposition, a rule could possibly be implemented that allows each player a single safety vote that they can use in a game, or the current "safety voting" rules should be looked over again and possibly reworked. Lets hear your opinions on this subject. Remember to remain civil in the thread, and if you have further opinions or questions you would like to add, do not hesitate to post in the thread about them! We are open for discussion.
-Revision 2: Third Parties-
Third parties have been a pretty interesting topic in Mafia as of recently, and it appears most games, if not all of them, feature some form of third party.

The original third party role was the Serial Killer, which had a simple lone-wolf style of gameplay, featured a single killing role, and some variations featured nightkill immunity. The third party's typical goal is to be the last person standing, so that presents a challenge that only the most witty, manipulative, and sneaky players could seem to pull off. Since the Serial Killer, other third party roles have been introduced, such as the famous Arsonist, Voodoo Lady, and Penguin.

The third party opens up an opportunity for especially complex and unique roles to fill its position, expressing a game creator's creativity, but it's always presented with a big question; is a third party always necessary? In most scenarios, specifically in larger games of 18 to 20 players, a third party might seem like a good idea to add a heightened sense of insecurity and a bit of suspense, with multiple kills happening each night, also giving the Mafia a bit of an edge to work against. However, some games appear to have third parties shoehorned in for the sake of having a third party, and this can lead to an over-powered third party, an under-powered third party, or just a generally uninteresting third party.

What are your opinions on third parties? Should there be rule restrictions on third parties, at the risk of limiting creativity? Are third parties fine as they stand now? Lets hear what you have to say about them.
-Revision 3: Special Roles-
Special roles (also known as blues, town specials, utility roles) are the backbone of Mafia. They give the town some strength against the Mafia, which is pretty useful and slightly mandatory in larger games.

In standardized, simple games, these positions exist solely as roles such as the Sheriff (or Seer), the Doctor, and the Vigilante. As Mafia has evolved and players have become more skilled, complex special roles have been introduced into the game, and the cravings for more special roles has started. After some time, people became completely reliant on special roles, and games were seeing a higher ratio of special roles compared to regular townies. Some games featured a Mafia where every member featured a special ability akin to a town's special roles, almost completely eliminating the existence of the basic Mafioso role, and this has introduced an influx and bigger interest towards Faction games.

There are several problems that special roles face or have faced. Some players have treated regular townie roles as inferior because of the number of special roles in the game, and this has resulted in inactivity among townies. Some players think and agree that there are far too many special roles in certain games, with the inclusion of some not even making sense. In the case of some third parties, the special roles can almost seem shoehorned in, just to increase the special role count.

Whether you perceive this as an issue or not, it has been the source of some interesting debate in the past, and is still brought up on the occasion. Do you think specials roles should be limited, or at least encouraged to be limited, based on the number of players? Do you think special roles are fine as they are now? What are your opinions on this topic?

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Mafia Opinions/Changes Thread

Postby Cedur » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:59 am

Mandatory lynching on D1 has done more harm than good. On the other side, if there's none, chances are that the day is passed with nothing happening at all (no gathering leads, no alliance strategies etc), so if there's mere inactivity D1, the host should choose to extend the day and enable mandatory lynching.

All further days should have mandatory lynching.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:15 am

I believe that Shroom said what should be done. Optional lynching on day 1 and obligatory lynching on all the other days. It is also possible to have the host decide this.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:29 am

I have to agree with Shroom and thg1 about this.
D1 mandatory lynching affected the game severely in M39 and M40 for not-so-fair reasons. Most of the D1 lynches were against relatively inactive but not completely inactive people which barely ever led to further leads.
So yeah, D1 mandatory lynching should be the host's decision.

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:46 am

Unlike nearly everyone else on these forums I am actually a great supporter of Mandatory Lynching.
Something people seem to forget when hating on the mechanic is the fact that it improves a lot of stuff. For example, mandatory lynching has made people actually give a damn about the first phases. Before, people would just say "hey" and wait until it was night 2 before they got to actually playing. Now people are forced to think about who to lynch to avoid a KitB randomly killing one of the players. This has increased activity during the first phases quite a bit.

I agree that most day 1 lynches harm the town in one way or another. But it can be argued that this problem (If we even wish to call it that) lies with the players, not the lynching mechanic. It is perfectly possible to get a weak scumread or townread on people during night 1 by doing some basic strategizing. Sure, this tactic takes a little effort and it can still backfire. But people don't even try to get a good lynch on day 1. Everyone is too busy placing those goddamn safety votes to actually bother trying to lynch the mafia. And in the rare event where someone does decide to vote for a player they suspect, it is usually due to some meta-bullshit like skills or inactivity. And when their bullshit lynch turns out to be a blue they just blame their own stupidity on the game's mechanics.
Sorry if a sound harsh, but damn!

Then there is the funny little fact that forced lynching is actually a standard mechanic in the game mafia. Day 1 lynching is just as standard as nightkills and cardflip colours. And sure, some mechanics have the tendency to harm the town. But who said that that isnt exactly what these mechanics are supposed to do?
A Vigilante can backfire on the town just as easily as a day 1 lynch and as far as I know, no one is taking about removing the vigilante. So why would mandatory lynching be any different?

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:12 am

I would like people to bear in mind that mechanics are not supposed to put the town in any sort of favor, which is exactly what holding off on mandatory lynching does. I've been seeing a lot of features being put in place that try to give the town some sort of advantage, such as allowing them to establish a town alliance, allowing them time to gather leads, and so on. This completely eliminates the urgency, suspense, and tension of Mafia, and often leads to the town showing a large amount of success. Day 1 lynching only hurts the players that don't know how to work with it, and so far from what I can tell, the complaints appear to be rather artificial.

I'd start to believe that Day 1 lynching is not the problem, and it lies at the fault of game balance, or just the players themselves.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:21 pm

I personally agree that mandatory lynching is a fundamental and critical part of the game, and that the town is too powerful without it. Even though the majority of players in any single game are part of the town, they shouldn't be catered to by the game and should have roughly equal chances in winning as the mafia does (as well as third parties, to a lesser extent).

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 pm

One of the things I also like about mandatory Lynching is it forces you to investigate for leads and not wait for them to be handed to you by the Sheriff, etc. They make the game much more intense, interesting, and fun imo

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:32 am

I feel like now's a good time to bring up the next revision. It's a good discussion topic, so I think this will get some attention. If you still want to discuss mandatory lynching and what can be done with it, feel free to do so! Remember that this thread is to gather opinions so they can be assessed a little easier.

Here are the poll results from the first revision:
-Revision 2: Third Parties-
Third parties have been a pretty interesting topic in Mafia as of recently, and it appears most games, if not all of them, feature some form of third party.

The original third party role was the Serial Killer, which had a simple lone-wolf style of gameplay, featured a single killing role, and some variations featured nightkill immunity. The third party's typical goal is to be the last person standing, so that presents a challenge that only the most witty, manipulative, and sneaky players could seem to pull off. Since the Serial Killer, other third party roles have been introduced, such as the famous Arsonist, Voodoo Lady, and Penguin.

The third party opens up an opportunity for especially complex and unique roles to fill its position, expressing a game creator's creativity, but it's always presented with a big question; is a third party always necessary? In most scenarios, specifically in larger games of 18 to 20 players, a third party might seem like a good idea to add a heightened sense of insecurity and a bit of suspense, with multiple kills happening each night, also giving the Mafia a bit of an edge to work against. However, some games appear to have third parties shoehorned in for the sake of having a third party, and this can lead to an over-powered third party, an under-powered third party, or just a generally uninteresting third party.

What are your opinions on third parties? Should there be rule restrictions on third parties, at the risk of limiting creativity? Are third parties fine as they stand now? Lets hear what you have to say about them.

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Now as for my opinion on TPs, even though Danny and TLtimelord think otherwise, I think they absoulety NEED night kill immunity, one of the reasons is this, some people are targeted early all the time, which means they have pretty much no chance of their TP since their pretty much guaranteed to be targeted meaning they have NO chance. Also, people often act like the TP needs a billion other abilities to win, however, this isn't true remember, both me and Megar almost won as TP when all we both had was a nightly kill in M38 and M39 respectively. Also, TPs I feel can balance a game to an extent, it makes things more intense as two people are dying every night as opposed to one and also the mafia actually has something to worry about, but yeah, though giving TPs other abilities can spice things up, people should stop acting like they NEED these abilities to win.

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:54 pm

IMO lynching should be something the host decides if it is mandatory or not.

For example:
Example Game 1 wrote: M1: Mafia
-16 Players
-Cardflip
-Lynching is optional

Mafia Roles

Town Roles
Or
Example Game 2 wrote: M2: You must vote
-18 Players
-Roleflip
-Items
-Lynching is mandatory

Mafia Roles

Town Roles

Third Party
As for Third Parties I think they are alright as they are now. They do have their flaws without restrictions but it should up to the host to manage those flaws when creating third parties.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I recommend people to try making games without third parties for the most part. Third parties can throw off the balance of everything terribly and generally make balancing games like twice as hard.

Also this thread was a really good move, great idea.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

The TP doesn't need billions of abilities to have a chance. They need some chance, meaning that they can e.g. also gather information for themselves just like the town specials and mafia do. (and the M39 Warlord was a very powerful TP, since they could induct everyone they failed to kill, making every healed person a potential suspect and also making public heal requests near-impossible).

People should include TPs just how they feel apropriate, and should consider them as a valuable part of the game, there's not really a reason to put up any restrictions.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Just a reminder that a base Serial Killer role can be comparable to a town's Vigilante.

Thehelmetguy1
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Flair: certified idiot

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 pm

I am here to state my opinion. Third Parties are really common nowadays, but they have to be used right and done right to affect the game positively. If they are used incorrectly, this can heavily affect the game's balance. Take my game, Undead Chaos as an example:
Spoiler: show
M??: Undead Chaos
16 players, cardflip
The Necromancer and the Undead
This team will begin with only the necromancer, and wins by outnumbering or equalling the town. This team has one kill each night
Necromancer: Controls the undead. If the necromancer has converted less than three people, he may then choose to target a player and turn them into a Zombie, Skeleton Warrior, or Ghoul. The necromancer's team may not have more than one of the same undead(2 Zombies are not allowed for example). Can kill a player each odd-numbered night. Cannot be nightkilled and cannot target himself. If inspected on night 1, he will cardflip green. If the Necromancer doesn't convert anyone, a random target will be chosen unless four people were already converted. The conversion won't replace the nightkill.
Zombie: If the zombie is nightkilled or lynched, it will kill the person that killed him(Nightkill) or the last person that voted for him(Lynch). The zombie still dies.
Skeleton Mage: A skeleton that knows how to cast spells. Each night he can use spells to broadcast a message to everyone. The message cannot be distinguished from the town crier message. The message cannot fake deaths or nightkill attempts, and it cannot contain more than 250 characters.
Ghoul: May do one of the following each night:
-Sneak on a player and attack them, roleblocking the target.
-Scare a player, making them paranoid, where they will refuse to cooperate with anyone, making abilities from the town not have any effect on this target for one night.
The Town
Wins by completely destroying the Undead
Priest: May protect a player from nightkills, mafia abilities, and from becoming undead each night. Cannot become undead, but isn't immune to nightkills.
Doctor: Can protect a player each night, making him immune to nightkills, but cannot save the player if he would become an undead.
Cop: Has a kill each night. If he kills an innocent, he will lose his ability and cardflip red one night.
Detective: Can interview a player each night, and find out their color.
Burocratic Doctor: Twice in the game, can make it so that all the players killed in the current phase roleflip.
Town Crier: Can broadcast a message to everyone each night. It can't be distinguished from the Skeleton Mage message. The message cannot fake deaths or nightkill attempts, and it cannot contain more than 250 characters.
Townie: Normal townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Light spirit: Cannot be nightkilled, and cannot become an undead, since he is already one. Due to being a ghost, people don't trust him, so he will cardflip red. Thinks they are a normal townie.
Mason: In contact with the other Mason
Undead Chaos is a game where the town faces a cult that builds his mafia as time passes. It looks balanced and good this way, but let's add a third party into the mix:
M??: Undead Chaos
16 players, cardflip
The Necromancer and the Undead
This team will begin with only the necromancer, and wins by outnumbering or equalling the town. This team has one kill each night
Necromancer: Controls the undead. If the necromancer has converted less than three people, he may then choose to target a player and turn them into a Zombie, Skeleton Warrior, or Ghoul. The necromancer's team may not have more than one of the same undead(2 Zombies are not allowed for example). Can kill a player each odd-numbered night. Cannot be nightkilled and cannot target himself. If inspected on night 1, he will cardflip green. If the Necromancer doesn't convert anyone, a random target will be chosen unless four people were already converted. The conversion won't replace the nightkill.
Zombie: If the zombie is nightkilled or lynched, it will kill the person that killed him(Nightkill) or the last person that voted for him(Lynch). The zombie still dies.
Skeleton Mage: A skeleton that knows how to cast spells. Each night he can use spells to broadcast a message to everyone. The message cannot be distinguished from the town crier message. The message cannot fake deaths or nightkill attempts, and it cannot contain more than 250 characters.
Ghoul: May do one of the following each night:
-Sneak on a player and attack them, roleblocking the target.
-Scare a player, making them paranoid, where they will refuse to cooperate with anyone, making abilities from the town not have any effect on this target for one night.
The Town
Wins by completely destroying the Undead
Priest: May protect a player from nightkills, mafia abilities, and from becoming undead each night. Cannot become undead, but isn't immune to nightkills.
Doctor: Can protect a player each night, making him immune to nightkills, but cannot save the player if he would become an undead.
Cop: Has a kill each night. If he kills an innocent, he will lose his ability and cardflip red one night.
Detective: Can interview a player each night, and find out their color.
Burocratic Doctor: Twice in the game, can make it so that all the players killed in the current phase roleflip.
Town Crier: Can broadcast a message to everyone each night. It can't be distinguished from the Skeleton Mage message. The message cannot fake deaths or nightkill attempts, and it cannot contain more than 250 characters.
Townie: Normal townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Light spirit: Cannot be nightkilled, and cannot become an undead, since he is already one. Due to being a ghost, people don't trust him, so he will cardflip red. Thinks they are a normal townie.
Third Party
Rebel Undead: Can't be converted and can't be nightkilled. Has one kill each night and can ignore protection each odd numbered night.
This Third Party is a problem for the game's balance, as you might be able to see.

People also say that a TP needs to be strong to have a chance to win, but it is not really true. It is also really easy to go over the limit and make it overpowered:
Mafia
Mafioso
Mafioso
Town
Sheriff: Can inspect people and stuff
Vigilante: Can kill people and stuff
Doctor: Can protect people and stuff
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Me Miller
i am op
meow: can kill each night and also paint red or roleblock and meow is immune to nightkills
This TP is obviously overpowered in such a small game, but some can be overpowered even in bigger games. In M39 the warlord could turn anyone protected into a suspect as stated before. He was kinda strong even in a 20 player game.

Third Parties need to be used right to make the game better, or else the balance will be affected negatively. And it isn't that hard to do an unbalanced TP if your thoughts are "tp needs power to win" or "tp makes games better". The challenge of the Third Party is to win alone. This requires skill and good playing. Not a powerful role. A game also doesn't require a TP to be good. What matters the most is balancing.

Delete if Allowed
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Delete if Allowed » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Mandatory Lynching:
I do not necessarily believe that mandatory lynching can lead to a more fluid game all the time, since reading this thread the main argument is that the townspeople can wait until sheriff or vigilante find something. However, in that case, what's stopping this situation from constantly happening: A person claims townsperson on days with no leads and advocates for themselves to be lynched. Let's say this happens day after day. This still also gives an advantage to the town because the townsperson case of asking to be lynched is justified as in they do not want any blues to be mislynched, and they therefore in effect give town another day to stall for more leads. Mandatory Lynching does not completely reduce stalling. I'm not arguing for or against mandatory lynching. I'm just bringing up another point that needs to be solved.

Third Party:
In my opinion third party should have at least night immunity. I've hosted multiple mafia games before and I on talkhaus, I hosted a 20 player mafia game and on night one the third party was randomly attacked and killed. It's really not fair to the player if they so happen to be third party and are just killed either RNG wise or killed for player skill as TP. That is really not fun for the player. The Third Party role is supposed to be a fun challenging role for the player who gets it. It is easily one of the hardest roles to play in the games. Lynching the third party after they are attacked a night also heavily effects the game such as questioning onto how exactly said player knows who the third party is and ultimately leads to a more interesting dynamic. Of course third party has balance flaws, but in my opinion, the concept of third party in itself is inherently flawed via by its definition.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 am

Why not, lets roll out another one. I won't put up a poll this time, I'd like to focus the discussion to in-thread.
-Revision 3: Special Roles-
Special roles (also known as blues, town specials, utility roles) are the backbone of Mafia. They give the town some strength against the Mafia, which is pretty useful and slightly mandatory in larger games.

In standardized, simple games, these positions exist solely as roles such as the Sheriff (or Seer), the Doctor, and the Vigilante. As Mafia has evolved and players have become more skilled, complex special roles have been introduced into the game, and the cravings for more special roles has started. After some time, people became completely reliant on special roles, and games were seeing a higher ratio of special roles compared to regular townies. Some games featured a Mafia where every member featured a special ability akin to a town's special roles, almost completely eliminating the existence of the basic Mafioso role, and this has introduced an influx and bigger interest towards Faction games.

There are several problems that special roles face or have faced. Some players have treated regular townie roles as inferior because of the number of special roles in the game, and this has resulted in inactivity among townies. Some players think and agree that there are far too many special roles in certain games, with the inclusion of some not even making sense. In the case of some third parties, the special roles can almost seem shoehorned in, just to increase the special role count.

Whether you perceive this as an issue or not, it has been the source of some interesting debate in the past, and is still brought up on the occasion. Do you think specials roles should be limited, or at least encouraged to be limited, based on the number of players? Do you think special roles are fine as they are now? What are your opinions on this topic?

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:50 am

Okay, now, the opinion that i have on special roles, i may be explaining for a bit but i'll just start up with saying that i feel having weak specials in your game
is a no go. So this would mean doublevoters, masons, nightriders, bulletproofs and even town criers to an extent. The thing i noticed that's a tactic far too common
on here is this. It can pretty much be summed up as:
1. Game starts
2. Night 1 ends
3. People suggest that the weakest special claims
4. they claim
5. other specials claim to them
6. Allaince

and i literally mean people do this any game that has a weak special in it, so in my opinion, if you want to use doublevoters, masons, nightriders or bulletproofs
in your game, they should flip an anti town color which balances these roles more.

Now, another opinion i have is this. While a game having too many specials is certainly a bad thing, i almost feel that having too FEW specials can be bad too.
Now, while i'm a supporter of games like Blue Paint Crisis and True Barebones, these games still feel more balanced as the former uses vanilla mafia aswell i believe
along with all the specials being green meaning for the most part the town doesn't know how well their doing nor does the mafia too an extent, so it evens things out.
While, with the latter game, NO ONE HAS ABILITIES TO USE. This literally means the only tools people have in this game are wits, deduction, interrogation, etc. plus remember the mafia has no abilites too.

But back to what i said eariler about how it can also be bad having too FEW specials. take M40 for an example, it was originally in terms of specials and mafia going to have a sheriff and doctor and backups, a deputy and nurse. and in terms of mafia was going to have a Disguiser, Consort and two vanillas i believe. Now, this setup was actually pretty balanced, however, we then realized that more people wanted to play so we added in an EXTRA mafia, a doublespeaker and a vigilante to the game. Now, something to remember, and this could be one of the reason vanilla mafia aren't that common, is that vanillas
can actually be stronger for the mafia than some may think. Because of the fact that a mafia may sacrifice a vanilla to get people to trust them, means they could fake a sheriff claim by saying they got a red inspection when their actually just throwing a mafia under the bus. Now the thing is, the mafia in M40 had TWO vanillas, and FIVE members, meaning that them sacrificing one wouldn't be a big loss. Just the fact that the mafia had 5 members is one of the issues with what happened. Basically, the town was luck fucked because the vigilante was targeted NIGHT FUCKING ONE meaning just like that the town had no night firepower to counter with for the rest of the game in one that had FIVE MAFIA and TWO VANILLAS. So, while i certainly agree that too many specials is bad, i feel, that depending on the game's size, it can
be bad to have only a few too. Imo, games with 15-18 players should have 4-5 specials, while i only think games with 20+ players having anything higher than
6 is okay. Infact, i feel you should NEVER have anything higher than 7 in your game, if you go over, your game has far too many then.

While the subject of this is being discussed, i'd also like to bring up the fact that your game should never have anything less than atleast 8 vanillas counting millers and/or masons. One reason for this is the on the subject of a game having too many specials is that if you have too many specials, the mafia and/or TP could easily go on a blue massacre without trying which is a bad thing too.

Now, i have yet more reason why blue alliances are something we're getting tired of and/or find boring. Eventually, so many confirmed specials end up getting into
the allaince that it gets to the point that anyone not in alliance is scum, meaning it's a guaranteed town win. There have actually been a few examples of this
happening, this includes M28, M37, M38, and possibly to an extent M39. I'd like to bring this up(yeah, i bring it up alot) that the reason an instant allaince was formed in M38 was that Cedur was using meta evidence in the sense that he never logged on when the reroll happened and people were choosing their roles, making him a confirmed townie allowing the specials to claim to him.

YET another point is this, usually, once the blues form an alliance, the rest of the town just follows everything the alliance says like a bunch of sheep and if the allaince ends up falling apart or they find that a scum infiltrated it, people often give up or say things like "we lost" when really, this isn't true. Examples of people saying
"it's over" or "we lost" when specials start dying would include M30 and M36ll. Granted, the town got pretty unlucky in both, the former, two blues died in the first cycle, the sheriff was killed night 1 and another special(i forgot okay?) ended up being lynched, i was foolish at the time and thought there wasn't anything i could do since i was vote blocked that day phase. And M36ll, two specials died on night 1, true, it was just bad luck, but people acted as if the town was nearly fucked just because of this occuring.

Now, how i feel about having alot of specials in a game, well, i feel if none of the specials are that weak, then it's fine as long as the vanillas outnumber the specials,
take my game Mad Mad Scientist for example:
M??: Mad Mad Scientist

- 21 Players
- 4 Mafia, 16 Town, 1 TP
- Role Usage is Optional
- Mandatory Lynching

Lore
First of All, I tricked you, the role this game is named after isn’t part of this game’s mafia, however, they are responsible for the situation lore-wise and are the TP, hey almost forgot the lore. There was a scientist who had created two potions of sorts one of which could give a creature of any kind human like intelligence and the other that would make them grow massive size, he decided to use several insects, a Stag beetle, Rhino Beetle, Mantis, and Wasp, as test subjects, though the potions worked, they ended up turning on him and fleeing away to choose their own paths, two decided to join the local mafia, with a little convincing of course, the other two decided they’d help to defend a town that they realized was the mafia’s next target. The town was able to trust the Rhino beetle pretty easily, but the mantis, nobody really trusted them much. But long story short, the Stag beetle and Wasp decided to collaborate with the mafia and the Rhino Beetle and Mantis sided with the town to help stop the mafia as well as the other giant insects. Meanwhile, the scientist who caused all of this decided he was going to end what he started, while taking the opportunity to possibly take the town over for himself. And that’s your explanation for what would otherwise be a confusing setting.

The Mafia And Vile Insects
When collaborating on who to kill, they’ll also need to decide who’ll visit the player to do it.
Spy: They can plant a scanning chip on someone each night, and then active them all on a later night, inspecting all of his targets at the same time, they are able to plant two chips on a player to learn their exact role. Chipping planting can be roleblocked, but scanning cannot be roleblocked though. They can also plant another chip in the same night they scan them all. They can also choose to plant two In one night, but by doing so, have to wait an extra day to activate them.
Lecturer: can read someone a long chapter book each night, roleblocking them for the night phase, and vote blocking them next day phase.
Wasp: They can do one of two things each night, they can:
1. sting a player continually to injure them, not allowing them to say anything the next day phase besides “I was attacked” or similar.
2. once in the game go on alert for one day phase and night phase, if someone nightkills them or their lynched, in terms of nightkills, will take their attacker down with them, and in case of being lynched, the last person who voted them dies at the end of the next night phase.
Stag Beetle: They can choose between two actions each night, they can:
1. beat someone up, causing that person to flip black the next day phase, can't select the mafia's kill.
2. they can twice in the game attempt to frighten someone with its pincers, if it targets a regular Townie they become a Frightened Townie.

The Town
Examiner: They can plant a scanning chip on someone each night, and then active them all on a later night, inspecting all of his targets at the same time, they are able to plant two chips on a player to learn their exact role. Chipping planting can be roleblocked, but scanning cannot be roleblocked though. They can also plant another chip in the same night they scan them all. They can also choose to plant two In one night, but by doing so, have to wait an extra day to activate them.
Reader: can read someone a long chapter book each night, roleblocking them for the night phase, and vote blocking them next day phase.
Rhino Beetle: They have two different abilites they can use:
1. They can protect themselves twice in the game, killing anyone seeking to kill them.
2. They themselves can thrice in game attempt to calm down a player and show them they mean no harm, if they target a Frightened Townie, They'll become a Townie.
Vester: Can hand out a total of 3 Protection Vests throughout the game.
Biologist: They can watch someone each night to learn who they visited. If they watch one of the 4 Giant Insects, the Insect's role will be revealed to the Biologist, however, their own role will be revealed to the giant insect.
Mantis: thanks to having it’s survival instincts still intact, they’ll survive one nightkill. They can kill someone each night, but what color their victim is will effect their reputation meter.
Baker: Can bake someone a baked good each night, and then choose to deliver all the goods a later night, counting all their targets votes as two. Baking can be roleblocked, but not deliveries. No one will know they were made a baked good until delivery.
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie
Townie

Frightened Townie: Being frightened and nervous because of the presence of giant, human sized insects, they seem a bit off. Knows they are frightened.
Frightened Townie

The Scientist Behind Everything
Mad Scientist:
immune to nightkills, can choose between several actions each night:
1. They can kill someone, if they target a Frightened Townie, they'll become a Lab Assiantant.
2. They can paint someone orange, they are able to use this the same night as ability 1 but not ability 3. Painting will wear off next night phase.
3. They can once in the game roleblock everyone, paint everyone black, including themselves, and kill a player of their choice, all protection being ignored. This one time ability cannot be roleblocked. And all of their abilites will be disabled next night phase.

Lab Assistants: they are able to paint someone orange OR red each night but only are able to kill if the initial scientist is dead, who can kill is choosen based on who was converted first. The Scientist can only have two in the game and they are NOT immune to nightkills. and also can't use the Scientist's one time ability.

The Mantis’s Reputation Meter
Basically, the Mantis’s color will change based on what number their reputation meter is at. The best color they can be to the worst color is Pink, Blue, Green, Orange, and Red. They start with -1 Rep, making them flip orange, If their at 0/1 rep, they’ll flip green, if their at 2+ rep they’ll flip blue, and if their at -2 or lower rep, they’ll flip red. How their rep is affected is based on what color someone they kill is. If their rep gets to -5 or lower, he’ll be banished from the town, taking them out of the game.
If their victim is blue, their rep will go down by two
If their victim is green, their rep will go down by one
If their victim is red, their rep will go up by one
If their victim is orange, their rep will go up by two
If their victim is blacked out, their rep won’t be affected
Even if they flip that color due to being painted, it’ll still work like this. When the mantis reaches 5+ rep, they'll gain nightkill immunity and will also carflip pink cardflip. However if at any point it goes below 5+, they’ll lose their nightkill immunity and go back to blue.

Extra Notes
- The Rhino Beetle’s alert mode will kill ANYONE who seeks to kill it, this includes the Mantis and Mad Scientist, even if the former hasn’t used their one survival of a nightkill or has obtained nightkill immunity and despite the latter having nightkill immunity.
- If The Mad Scientist Already has two recruits and they target another Frightened Townie, they’ll simply die.
- The Wasp revenge kill of bringing down his attacker with him will still effect the Mantis and Mad Scientist even if the former hasn’t used their one nightkill survival or has obtained nightkill immunity and despite the latter having nightkill immunity.
- Their revenge attack however won’t affect the Rhino Beetle though.
- If the Reader and Lecturer target eachother in the same night, they'll start racing to see who can finish their book first, vote blocking them both
- If a painted target dies the same night their painted, they'll show up the painted color
- The Rhino Beetle will be told if their calming attempt goes through
- However, the Stag Beetle WON'T be told if their frightening attempt went through
- Only a heal from a Protection Vest will be announced, a kill failing due to nightkill immunity will not.
- Each player can only get one Baked Good
- If someone receives a Protection Vest the same night their attacked, they'll survive.

Items
Protection Vest
Will protect a player from a single nightkill

Baked Good
Counts votes as two

Priorities
1. Mad Scientist Disastar
2. Biologist Watching
3. Baker Delivery
4. Mantis/Townie/F.Townie Color Change
5. Spy/Examiner Color Scan
6. Reader/Lecturer Reading
7. Vester's Vest Giving
8. Painting
9. Stag Beetle Frightening/Mad Scientist Conversion
10. Rhino Beetle Calming
11. Rhino Beetle Alert
12. Wasp Revenge Kill
13. Mafia Kill/Mantis Kill/Mad Scientist Kill
14. Spy/Examiner Chip Planting
15. Wasp Silencing

Win Condtions:
The Mafia And Vile Insects: Outnumber the Town and Kill the Mad Scientist and his potential Lab Assistants
The Town: Kill all the Mafia and Vile Insects and the Mad Scientist and any potential assistants he has.
The Scientist Behind Everything: Be the last team or player standing.
As you can see in this game, it does indeed have alot of specials in it, but another thing to note is that none of the specials in my game would be worth sacrificing, therefore, none of them would claim. And despite there being quite alot of specials in this game, there are noticeably more vanillas than specials. This game used to have a role in it called the Snoozer, however, this special was actually pretty weak meaning they could just claim for instant allaince plus they would have equated to 8 specials which i think would have been far too many to have in this game, despite being a 21 player game.

Now finally, do i think specials should be limited based on a games size? Do i think we should change anything about people putting certain specials in their games?
Well, i actually personally don't, while yes, it's true that there are certainly a share of problems too many specials can have, i feel that if people add them to their game reponsibly and actually think about it and not add specials just because reasons when it really wouldn't even fit lore wise, they we're fine for the most part.

But i do certainly agree that people should stop with weak specials in their games.

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:09 am

My rule of thumb for game design is that the number of blues should not generally exceed the number of bad guys. I usually have one blue per villain, including third parties, or sometimes fewer blues if the mafia isn't very powerful in that game. The current SMBX Mafia meta certainly overemphasizes blues, though I don't see a lot that can be done about that past something like Sanct's Blue Paint Crisis (which is a cool-looking concept, I'm not bashing it at all) or removing blues altogether, which is a decent idea but would make every game pretty much the same.

I do think that Deputy-like roles should be used more, since they kind of discourage guaranteed alliances by reducing the initial number of blues, while keeping a similar number over the course of the game.

I also think that regular mafiosos are underused, which is pretty hypocritical I guess considering most of my games, including the one I have submitted right now, but I believe that having an all-special mafia might discourage strategy for the mafia a bit in favor of just manipulating everyone with their powers. I'm less sure about this, though - most special mafiosos are fine as long as they're not too strong (thinking mainly of being strong enough to carry the mafia on their own, which shouldn't happen).

Danny
Reznor
Reznor

Postby Danny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:00 am

The all-special mafia are really infuriating to me because it messes with the core concepts of Mafia/Werewolf by providing the enemy with increases powers that they can and do use to manipulate the town. Granted they don't win here a lot of the time, that can also be attributed by their opposition, which is usually a town with really powerful blues that can secure an alliance early, root out some of the mafia, and then act as scapegoats for the mafia to focus on killing. While people do and should include fun and exciting roles, I think there needs to be a realization that power balance must exist in more ways than one. Like for example, just because your mafia has four members, three goons and a godfather, doesn't mean you need to insert four or five special roles into your town.

If you included some really cool and awesome special role, like the Mayor roles I've tried implementing into the town in the past with their ability to give everyone doublevoting or to host a secondary vote in the day or what have you, you would most definitely want to balance this out by having considerably less special roles than you normally would because the Mayor is going to give the town a lot of power if they have a proper lead, which can usually be attributed to by the inclusion of a Sheriff role.

Return to “Mafia”