SMB3 Overhaul?

This is the place for discussion and support for LunaLua and related modifications and libraries.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Shadowblitz16
Bit
Bit

SMB3 Overhaul?

Postby Shadowblitz16 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 am

is anybody working on a smb3 overhaul that makes character's hud and physics be exact replicas of SMB3 snes?

this would be..
-fixing physics
-adding missing animations and states
-fixing powerups (aka hammer and fireball cannot be aimed, leaf and tanooki requires tapping to fly and tanooki requires down b to statute, frog physics is fixed)
-adding missing smb3 enemies, bosses, and ai's
-adding missing blocks and background (including the missing 2 water background tiles)
-replacing toad and peach with smb3 toad and peach

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Re: SMB3 Overhaul?

Postby PersonNamedUser » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:32 am

Well, i feel that's a bit much, however, there is an api that'll change to hud to 95% replicate SMB3's
EDIT:
There's even the goal card system

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:14 am

Shadowblitz16 wrote:smb3 toad and peach
what even

Noodle
Banned

Postby Noodle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 am

The0x539 wrote:
Shadowblitz16 wrote:smb3 toad and peach
what even
Yes, Toad and Peach are in SMB3. I watched a YTP involving SMB3 called ILL BET HES HOT ON MY TAIL.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 am

They are in smb3 but never appeared as playables. And there's already some playables done. And iirc they slso aviable as costumes in 2.0

Shadowblitz16
Bit
Bit

Postby Shadowblitz16 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm

@MosaicMario
I don't, I like the feel of authenticity and smbx has never had it.
however it has a great editor (PGE), but having to use a of external programs to edit and run SMBX right now is a little much.

I think a SMB3 overhaul project would be cool, but I'm not sure how to edit the player and their powerups.

NightKawata
Spike
Spike

Postby NightKawata » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Shadowblitz16 wrote:is anybody working on a smb3 overhaul that makes character's hud and physics be exact replicas of SMB3 snes?

this would be..
-fixing physics
-fixing powerups (aka hammer and fireball cannot be aimed, leaf and tanooki requires tapping to fly and tanooki requires down b to statute, frog physics is fixed)
-adding missing blocks and background (including the missing 2 water background tiles)
While I understand what you're trying to accomplish, you may be also failing to realize SMBX was never intended to be a direct copy of the original games, rather a culmination of various aspects of the past games mixed into something ole' Redigit thought would be fun to play.

As for the physics, SMBX's are primarily designed for speed and flow, such as being able to duck while jumping (which is hella cool), the sliding being a dynamic increase instead of SMB3's static, and the momentum is designed for agility, essentially. Luigi is the exception to an extent as he's a bit slower, but even still, SMBX at its core is definitely about flow.

As for the missing animations and states, there's really not much to add that wouldn't be minute or rather unnecessary at the end of the day. I mean sure, we'd all love the Sonic Mania treatment, but then that becomes a nightmare for custom graphics and the like.

As for the powerups, it offers more versatility to actually control the speed/trajectory of the fire/hammers, making it a bit easier to play, especially in a game where you can get a bunch of fan-made levels. Holding the button down was done for convenience, and I'm assuming the frog physics refer to SMBX "1.4," in which case the physics are garbage, so is the new content, and SMBX 1.4 is essentially irrelevant at the end of the day, anyway.

The missing enemies are a result of ceased development for reasons, same with the bosses and the like, and I'm pretty sure the 2.0 team is already adding new NPCs in the first place.

The missing blocks and backgrounds can all be solved with custom graphics.

I don't even know what the hell you're going for with replacing toad and peach, but the past commentators have beaten me to that point.

SMBX isn't an SMB3 remake. SMBX wasn't just meant to make a bunch of only SMB3 episodes with just mario and luigi doing the same ole' shit over and over again. SMBX was designed for variety, limit-free design, what have you.
There's a reason there's other graphical styles and NPCs in the app, including things like the zelda stuff and metroid stuff, along with... even our good old buddy Mr. Saturn.

You could always have a crack at SMB3 hacking or making a fan project that IS an SMB3 remake, as we don't really have a vast array of good Mario fangames in the mix. (I mean sure Psycho Waluigi/Toad(ette) Strikes Back are alright, but they suffer very badly from being MMF2 games)

Shadowblitz16
Bit
Bit

Postby Shadowblitz16 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:53 pm

@NightKawata I know it was never meant to be a replica I just thought it would be cool to try to make it one since we have lualuna now.

sadly I'm waiting for the PGE Engine to be finished and for SMBX 2.0 to be moved to it.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Shadowblitz16 wrote:@NightKawata I know it was never meant to be a replica I just thought it would be cool to try to make it one since we have lualuna now.

sadly I'm waiting for the PGE Engine to be finished and for SMBX 2.0 to be moved to it.
That's more a matter of wrestling with vanilla logic and physics than it is replacing them, and nobody likes doing that.

Shadowblitz16
Bit
Bit

Postby Shadowblitz16 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:35 pm

@The0x539
is there a way to completely replace a existing player with lunalua?

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Shadowblitz16 wrote:
The0x539 wrote:You have to do this to notify a user btw
is there a way to completely replace a existing player with lunalua?
If you're asking what I think you are, then no, it's not. Each of the playables added in SMBX2 is based on one of the five present in 1.3.

Akromaly
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Flair: anemoia

Postby Akromaly » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:11 am

Actually I'd really like the kick-shell animation of SMB3 in SMBX, or the frames when Mario changes direction with Yoshi in SMW. But I think it isn't possible anymore.

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Animation changes are pretty easily possible as long as there's space on the player graphics file.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:34 am

TheKidCodee wrote:
Shadowblitz16 wrote:is anybody working on a smb3 overhaul that makes character's hud and physics be exact replicas of SMB3 snes?

this would be..
-fixing physics
I Am (I guess.)
Have you ever worked with LunaLua before? Do you know how to add NPCs, etc.? It's not an easy task

Return to “LunaLua”