My project: Bowsers world takeover

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

My project: Bowsers world takeover

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:09 am

Hey guys! so im making this project (it has a world map) so i need some level idea's im planning to have alot of worlds (make sure your suggestion is not too hard to make or else this will happen :evil: ) so suggest as many as you want! :D
Spoiler: show
Spoiler: show
Screenshots (cuz those are needed also i put that link there if the images aren't working)
Last edited by underFlo on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added other post to OP

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Re: My project: Bowsers world takeover

Postby RhysOwens » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:17 am

I suggest removing all of the hills from the water. They don't belong in there.

Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:22 am

RhysOwens wrote:I suggest removing all of the hills from the water. They don't belong in there.
i will remove some of them because there are a bit too much (also the hills are like little islands and i wont edit the picture cuz that takes a bit of time to do)

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby RhysOwens » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:34 am

Poujoshy or Turret wrote:
RhysOwens wrote:I suggest removing all of the hills from the water. They don't belong in there.
i will remove some of them because there are a bit too much (also the hills are like little islands and i wont edit the picture cuz that takes a bit of time to do)
You can have up to 5,000 sceneries so don't go too far with them.

Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:51 am

RhysOwens wrote:
You can have up to 5,000 sceneries so don't go too far with them.
yeah i'll make sure to put loads not that many in

When world 3 is done i might upload the files for alpha testing! so if you have a idea make sure to post it! to get the alpha sooner (if you don't know what an alpha version is it's basicly beta version but it's not as far in development yet)
Last edited by underFlo on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:43 pm

The world map does contain a few cut-offs and you should not use paths to connect the bridges. Either use custom graphics or the dotted line paths.

Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:59 pm

King of Eterity wrote:The world map does contain a few cut-offs and you should not use paths to connect the bridges. Either use custom graphics or the dotted line paths.
i used the bridge path because i think the dotted line path just doesn't make sense on because then you just walk on water and keep in mind it is still in a early stage (what do you mean with cut-offs?)

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby RhysOwens » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:32 pm

King of Eterity wrote:The world map does contain a few cut-offs and you should not use paths to connect the bridges. Either use custom graphics or the dotted line paths.
i used the bridge path because i think the dotted line path just doesn't make sense on because then you just walk on water and keep in mind it is still in a early stage (what do you mean with cut-offs?)
I think the SMB3 Tiles would work better.

Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:39 am

RhysOwens wrote:
i don't like the way the SMB3 tiles look so i'll continue with the SMW tiles.

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby RhysOwens » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:08 am

RhysOwens wrote:
Poujoshy or Turret wrote: i used the bridge path because i think the dotted line path just doesn't make sense on because then you just walk on water and keep in mind it is still in a early stage (what do you mean with cut-offs?)
You should also remove the bridge and replace it with more SMW grass tiles because the bridge causes a lot of cutoffs.

Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:16 am

RhysOwens wrote:
RhysOwens wrote: I think the SMB3 Tiles would work better.
You should also remove the bridge and replace it with more SMW grass tiles because the bridge causes a lot of cutoffs.
im going for a islands look so i don't want to have 1 gaint piece of land and i still don't know what you mean with cutoffs

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:04 am

RhysOwens wrote:
Poujoshy or Turret wrote: i don't like the way the SMB3 tiles look so i'll continue with the SMW tiles.
im going for a islands look so i don't want to have 1 gaint piece of land
Maybe use the path end path befor the bridge and also in the 2nd screenshot, you should put the corner paths on small islands, or try to find a bridge corner GFX, and you should replace the main level GFXs (The ones with red/yellow circles) with ones that lack the surrounding path by default.
Poujoshy or Turret wrote: i still don't know what you mean with cutoffs
Last edited by ElectriKong on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:34 am

King of Eterity wrote:
RhysOwens wrote: You should also remove the bridge and replace it with more SMW grass tiles because the bridge causes a lot of cutoffs.
im going for a islands look so i don't want to have 1 gaint piece of land and i still don't know what you mean with cutoffs
i don't see that... it's not cut off like that it has the side bits on both sides just look at the picture it has the side bits

RhysOwens
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby RhysOwens » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Have any levels been worked on yet?

Poujoshy or Turret
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Poujoshy or Turret » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:53 pm

RhysOwens wrote:Have any levels been worked on yet?
not yet but if you have an idea make sure to post it
King of Eterity wrote:
RhysOwens wrote: You should also remove the bridge and replace it with more SMW grass tiles because the bridge causes a lot of cutoffs.
im going for a islands look so i don't want to have 1 gaint piece of land
Maybe use the path end path befor the bridge and also in the 2nd screenshot, you should put the corner paths on small islands, or try to find a bridge corner GFX, and you should replace the main level GFXs (The ones with red/yellow circles) with ones that lack the surrounding path by default.
Poujoshy or Turret wrote: i still don't know what you mean with cutoffs
the path ends wont work because then there is a gap between the path and the bridge
Last edited by underFlo on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:21 am

Fixed images: Okay, so this does not look good at all! There's tons of cutoff and clash everywhere, and it just looks like you put random stuff in the levels for no reason. Also, the level design looks really bland, and there's hills in the 4th screenshot! I recommend you play some other levels or episodes before making your own to get an idea on how to design levels!

Amine Retro
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby Amine Retro » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:02 am

^

i agree with snessy, from the screenshots it seems that you don't have much experience in creating mario levels, and you also never used custom graphics, wich led to many clash and cutoffs.

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:19 am

Those levels are just so bad it is unreal. There are cut-offs like everywhere.

The 1st screenshot just looks unrealistic and hurts my eyes looking at it. The blocks inside that house stick out in front of it, making it seem like Mario is on the outside yet I bet that you can't pass in front of the wood cut-offs, which when they appear further back than the supposed background walls, just makes it look wrong. There are also cut-offs around the outside.

The 2nd screenshot has bridge and path combinations that just look wrong. Those kind of paths should not be used over water and you should use the dotted paths. Also those paths are unnecessarily long and will make it tedious and painful to travel down those paths and a waste of time to do so.

In the 3rd screenshot there are cut-offs on the right between the water and grass. And why does that pipe stick into the hill like that. It is just causing cut-off around and achieves nothing else.

The 4th screenshot has a ton of out of place stuff. Why are there hills in the water? You have also spammed clouds here.

The 5th screenshot has a load of rings randomly placed and cutoffs in the left.

The 6th is a load of water cut-offs and there is also some clashing of graphics on the right.

The 7th is just bland.

The 8th is also rather bland and also has a few cut-offs on the wall and floor above the lava,and why is there a floor over the lava?

The 9th appears to be trying to remake 1-1 of SMB but is also showing that you could not even be bothered to use some grass tiles, which says something about you.

The 10th is basically bad for the same reasons as the 9th.

The 11th actually looks somewhat decent but it is the best you have got.

The 12th is like the 3rd. Why is the pipe been placed in the hill like that? And why is it made up of SMW and SMB pipe?

The 13th is just water and grass cut-offs at the bottom.

Overall this is not looking too good. There are so many problems. You really should have a look at some episodes by others. There is a link at the top that will take you to some great episodes. Have a look at those and get some inspiration as you really could do with some improvement.

loop
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: i may be dumb but im not stupid!
Pronouns: he/him/they

Postby loop » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:00 pm

No offense, but this is just terrible. There are cutoffs everywhere, and tons of clash.
King of Eterity already summed up the problems.

Return to “Projects”