2-6 Blooper's Minty Marine

This is the place to post your own levels.
Alligator Rice
Rex
Rex

2-6 Blooper's Minty Marine

Postby Alligator Rice » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:59 am

Here's yet another level from world 2. This one has had a lot of editing done to it recently, but I still feel it may need some work. I'm 100% open to criticism, so don't hold back! (just don't be a jerk about it) It's an underwater level, with a boss ending. The boss fight is very unique, and is DEFINITELY subject to change. Thanks in advance for the criticism, and the fact that you took the time to try my level!

Screenshot:
http://imgur.com/a/47gng

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8aqwgq9idc3ua8t
Last edited by Alligator Rice on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kojimkj
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: He/him

Re: 2-6 Blooper's Minty Marine

Postby kojimkj » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:10 am

There is no level in it -_- please fix this

Alligator Rice
Rex
Rex

Postby Alligator Rice » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:16 pm

kojimkj wrote:There is no level in it -_- please fix this
Alright folks, download link is fixed.

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Oh man, I love this level! I think that the boss fight is a little unnecessary, but it's still a pretty great boss!
Video:
Spoiler: show

Alligator Rice
Rex
Rex

Postby Alligator Rice » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Matt_The_Slime wrote:Oh man, I love this level! I think that the boss fight is a little unnecessary, but it's still a pretty great boss!
Video:
Thank you I appreciate the feedback! Would you recommend I take the boss out completely? Any other changes?

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Alligator Rice wrote:
Matt_The_Slime wrote:Oh man, I love this level! I think that the boss fight is a little unnecessary, but it's still a pretty great boss!
Video:
Thank you I appreciate the feedback! Would you recommend I take the boss out completely? Any other changes?
I don't think you should take out the boss entirely, it's a unique take on a boss! It's just my opinion.
And as far as I see, I don't see any other changes need to be made!

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:19 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of 2-6 BLOOPER'S MINTY MARINE by ALLIGATOR RICE

Gameplay (60%): 2/10
Frankly, I don't think this level was tested, by you or anybody else, before you submitted it. The beginning section with the red coins didn't seem to have much thought put into it. It was mostly just "swim right and look for coins." Most of the enemies could be avoided by staying close to the top of the screen. Also, make it more obvious where you need to go after you collect the coins. At first I thought the level was broken, because the blue pipe sent me back to the beginning of the level. I went back through the map only to realize that I was supposed to go through the ORANGE pipe at the beginning. Please indicate that with a message or an arrow or something.

And then there's the boss. To be honest, this boss is just badly designed. First of all, I didn't know whether I was supposed to hit the head or the tentacles, so I was trying to hit both of them while avoiding the Bloopers that were literally FLOODING out of the pipes. Oh, and you only have a limited number of blocks to use, so if you run out, the boss is literally impossible to beat. The whole thing needs to be tweaked.

Graphics (30%): 3.5/10
Very boring, for the most part. The block designs in the backgrond were nice, but there weren't many decorations, making it all look bland. The darkness gimmick in the section before the boss was unnecessary and just made me lag.

Music (10%): 7/10
Very nice Dire Dire Docks remix, but it didn't get good until I got almost all of the red coins! You should use an audio trimmer and cut the music to where the percussion kicks in. That makes the level more exciting!

SCORE CALCULATION

Gameplay (60%): 12/60
Graphics (30%): 10.5/30
Music (10%): 7/10

Overall Score: 29.5/100 = 2.95/10 (The Trash Can)
This level has a lot of potential to be something great, but a lot of aspects of the design weren't well thought-out.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:15 pm

I know this already has a review, but what's stopping me from making my own?

To all intents and purposes, this level is pretty basic, but it still has some potential. It's very well decorated with the seaweed and the coral, giving out the underwater vibe, and the decorations inside the tiles I also liked as well, as well as the lovely music, which provides some ambience. But when we cut to the gameplay, the level falls short. It's basically just a red coin hunt followed by a boss battle, and the red coin hunt is pretty bland because the stage is too linear and thus feels incredibly easy, and also boring because of the lack of challenge and also its large length when compared to the second half, and the discrepancy between the two is thus a giveaway that the second half is too short and needs some lengthening. The boss battle, on the other hand, is a bit weird because you only have a limited supply of Grab Blocks, and when you run out the boss becomes unbeatable, so it's advised you put them on a generator to prevent this. What's just as bad is the fact that while there are powerups in the first half, there are none in the second half, leading up to the boss, so it's more painful trying to redo the fight than it is first time around. The only real redeeming factor this level has to offer is the dark room where the player has to use a light to proceed. It's a good gimmick, but sadly underused, and if the player goes too high then they can see the bottom of the tileset. It should also be mentioned that the player doesn't need the light because the Bloopers are friendly, and therefore the gimmick doesn't really have any real use and was only shoehorned in as a last-minute afterthought to make the level good. Also, one of your music files is also missing, and it kills the atmosphere of the second section.

If anything, I would make your level longer so it's more fun to play. Especially, work on the second half, because it's too short in comparison to the first, and add some hazards so the light gimmick actually needs to be used. In its current state, this level gets a 3.6/10 from me. It's got some good potential, but it seems to have gone to waste.

Return to “Levels”